Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for 8pm snack?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

i usually start geting peckish around this time. what healthy eating options do ye guys have that will keep me full until bed time. Anyone?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Greek yoghurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What about onions/scallions?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

A handful of mixed nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A dinner that keeps you satisfied for longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

A dinner that keeps you satisfied for longer

watching portion size.

zweton wrote: »
    watching portion size.

If you eat a bit more protein and fat, you'll be more satiated without having to eat much more in the way of calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Chipper or chinese go on you know you want to.:pac:

fruit, nuts, soup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Scrambled eggs. If you're not hungry enough to make and eat them, you don't REALLY want the food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Rice cake with hummous or almond butter or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Apple with peanut butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

y6b7eZXl.jpg

Yogurt peach and apple sticks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

racso1975 wrote: »

Tell me more! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

racso1975 wrote: »

Class!! Although it might make you crave real egg and chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Greek yoghurt would be a quick and easy snack and keep the hunger at bay, make sure to look for ones with low sugar (under five grams) and high protein you'd be amazing how high some of the brands of Greek yoghurt can be in sugar, I use plain Liberate yoghurt!:) Also, when I get a craving for ice cream or something cold at night I freeze slices of banana and keep them as a snack, I love them!:)

Greek yoghurt would be a quick and easy snack and keep the hunger at bay, make sure to look for ones with low sugar (under five grams) and high protein you'd be amazing how high some of the brands of Greek yoghurt can be in sugar, I use plain Liberate yoghurt!:) Also, when I get a craving for ice cream or something cold at night I freeze slices of banana and keep them as a snack, I love them!:)

where can i buy the liberate yougurt? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

where can i buy the liberate yougurt? :)
    I buy mine in Tesco as they stock it where I live so you could try there, no sure if Dunnes do or not. You'd be surprised how quickly you'll adapt and begin to like the taste and it's pretty good protein wise, with zero fat and really low sugar: Nutritional info (per 100g): 56 kcal; 9.6 g of protein; 3.2 g of sugar; and 0g of fat.
    Here's what it looks like:
    yimg1.png
    Try to stick to the plain Greek Liberte Yoghurt as the fruit flavoured and honey varieties will have a lot more added sugar. :)

If you can't find that yoghurt Fage Total Greek Yoghurt is good too: Nutritional info (per 100g) for the Total 0%: 57 kcal; 10.3 g of protein; 4 g of sugar; and 0g of fat. They'd probably stock that in Tesco and Dunnes, but I'm not sure as I've never gone looking for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

i usually start geting peckish around this time. what healthy eating options do ye guys have that will keep me full until bed time. Anyone?:)

What time do you have dinner at? Would you consider just pushing it out by an hour or two?

bout 6, i go for a run and then have my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bout 6, i go for a run and then have my dinner.

Are you eating enough? If you're consistently hungry again only two hours after dinner, I think something needs to change. I know you said you're watching portion size, but you could keep the portions pretty much the same but just choose foods with a higher satiety factor.

Also, in my experience, mindful eating can have a huge effect on satiety levels. If you're distractedly eating in front of the tv and the dinner is gone before you've even really realised it, you're not going to feel properly satisfied. Get into the habit of eating at the table, with a proper table setting, and putting your knife and fork down between every bite. The amount of time it takes to eat a meal can also hugely influence how full you feel by the end of it.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Are you eating enough? If you're consistently hungry again only two hours after dinner, I think something needs to change. I know you said you're watching portion size, but you could keep the portions pretty much the same but just choose foods with a higher satiety factor.

Also, in my experience, mindful eating can have a huge effect on satiety levels. If you're distractedly eating in front of the tv and the dinner is gone before you've even really realised it, you're not going to feel properly satisfied. Get into the habit of eating at the table, with a proper table setting, and putting your knife and fork down between every bite. The amount of time it takes to eat a meal can also hugely influence how full you feel by the end of it.

And it is usually better to eat a healthy dinner with a decent portion of protein and fat and be satisfied for the evening rather than limiting the dinner and end up snacking later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

And it is usually better to eat a healthy dinner with a decent portion of protein and fat and be satisfied for the evening rather than limiting the dinner and end up snacking later on.

Agree with this.

If it's more of a habit thing rather than real hunger (sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish), you could try doing something else rather than snacking. For example, I sometimes crochet while watching tv - keeps my hands busy, I'm focussed on something else and I don't get the same desire to snack.

As an aside regarding the portion size comment, if you're eating a smaller dinner and then eating a snack afterwards, you could actually "just" eat a larger dinner with no snack and still take in the same amount of calories (if that's what you're concerned with).

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Try eating your dinner much slower - chew your food really well like 30 times a mouthful & put your knife & fork down between mouthfuls & you will find it will keep you fuller for longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I usually make a dip out of natural yogurt flavoured with either fresh parsley, salt and pepper or paprika and chilli. Then raid the fridge for any veggies I can eat raw like peppers, carrots, celery etc. it keeps me munching for AGES with very few calories

Advertisement