Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equal Marriage Referendum - Are you registered to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The longer this referendum gets dragged out the better, imo. Once the economy starts steadily growing again people will begin to feel more comfortable and will care less about controversial issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Given the lack of clarity on the date of the referendum, why are they putting out a deadline for people to register?

This is the annual deadline for the annual register; not a deadline for the supplementary for the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I'm trying to register for the first time. Does anyone know if on the RFA form I need to include my details only or those of all the eligible members living in my household (all of which are already registered to vote) ?
    The notes attached to the RFA form says to include every person eligible but I am unsure whether that is inclusive of those already registered.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Given the lack of clarity on the date of the referendum, why are they putting out a deadline for people to register?

There is always a deadline every year.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

sesh23 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm trying to register for the first time. Does anyone know if on the RFA form I need to include my details only or those of all the eligible members living in my household (all of which are already registered to vote) ?
    The notes attached to the RFA form says to include every person eligible but I am unsure whether that is inclusive of those already registered.

Thanks for your help!

I think personally I would include everyone but just to be sure you could ring the local county council franchise section.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The draft register for 2015/2016 will be published on November 1st.

At that stage you still have until November 25th to register.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trisha_H

I would have voted, but I'm not 18 until March, so that rules me out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Trisha_H wrote: »

The referendum would probably be April/May. Do you have to be 18 this year to vote?

Daith wrote: »
    The referendum would probably be April/May. Do you have to be 18 this year to vote?

You have to be 18 before February to register to vote. So I'm literally just a few weeks off.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I am apparently still registered to vote in Dublin South-West, despite not having been resident in Ireland for over a year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You have to be 18 before February to register to vote. So I'm literally just a few weeks off.

I think people who turn 18 before polling day can still apply to be added to the Supplement to the Register. The Citizens Information website says to include a copy of your birth certificate with form RFA2: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html.

@NuMarvel Thank you so much! That's great to know. :D

No it doesnt. You can go onto the supplementary register in March.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Worth noting that you can fill out your form and email a scan to the registry offices. I just did it this week.

BRING ON THE REFERENDUM! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

The last time I voted was in the European elections a couple of months ago. Does this mean I should still be registered from that time at my local polling station or do I need to register again? I keep seeing people talking about this registration thing and it's making me worried especially since I won't be back in the country til Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Why don't you check the register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I did, but it wasn't working for me. :/

RedXIV wrote: »
    Worth noting that you can fill out your form and email a scan to the registry offices. I just did it this week.

BRING ON THE REFERENDUM! :D

It may be worth noting your county council does it. That doesnt necessarily mean all do.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    The last time I voted was in the European elections a couple of months ago. Does this mean I should still be registered from that time at my local polling station or do I need to register again? I keep seeing people talking about this registration thing and it's making me worried especially since I won't be back in the country til Christmas.

You probably are, but I'd check the register anyway, just to be sure. What happens when you go to the website?

Yarf Yarf wrote: »

So if you voted this May you are on the register for 2014/2015. The 2014/2015 register is in force until 15th February 2015.

You need to make sure you are on the 2015/2016 register. A draft of the 2015/2016 register will be published on November 1st. If you are not on the draft register you still have until November 25th to get onto it.

If after that you are still not on the register you will still be able to get onto the supplementary register.

The important thing to do is around the 1st November or a day or so later check you are on the draft register for 2015/2016.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Screen-shot-2014-11-03-at-12.23.53.png

Dont forget to check you are on the draft register for 2015/2016

Also it would be really helpful to share images from Yes Equality social media to remind all of your friends

Also Follow Yes Equality Social Media

The facebook link is https://www.facebook.com/yesequality?ref=hl

@Yesequality2015 Twitter:

www.yesequality.ie

Terry Pratchet

You can check the Draft Register of Electors at your city or county council’s offices, garda stations, libraries, post offices and online at www.checktheregister.ie until.

If you are aged 18 or over or will be 18 before the end of January 2015 you should check that your name and address are present and correct on the Draft Register and, if there’s a mistake, tell your city or county council BEFORE 25th November 2014.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re the registering to vote, is there anyone in the Nth Wicklow area who hasn't yet had the right to vote interested in getting registered and in voting Yes in the referendum on Civil Marriage Equality?

Bump

2 weeks left to register

Terry Pratchet

Today, Bray. Check your social media feed for messages and notices relative to the "Yes Equality" voting campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've spammed about 250 whatsapp contacts with voter reg info and a #YesEquality on the end. Feck all good me being able to vote if nobody else can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

aloyisious wrote: »
    Today, Bray. Check your social media feed for messages and notices relative to the "Yes Equality" voting campaign.

Is this "Yes Equality Wicklow" or did I miss something? If I did stick up a link and I'll be happy to pass it around.

Screen-shot-2014-11-03-at-12.23.53.png

Dont forget to check you are on the draft register for 2015/2016

Also it would be really helpful to share images from Yes Equality social media to remind all of your friends

Also Follow Yes Equality Social Media

The facebook link is https://www.facebook.com/yesequality?ref=hl

@Yesequality2015 Twitter:

www.yesequality.ie

This is the national Yes Equality website and social media.

Terry Pratchet

Is this "Yes Equality Wicklow" or did I miss something? If I did stick up a link and I'll be happy to pass it around.

EDIT: go with the links in the Mod's post above. There are small equality groups in Wicklow but the links above are the best contact routes for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 serendipity i am

One week left to register to vote!!

Advertisement