Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUCK WITH CHEST PROBLEMS.....

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Morning All,
    Not sure how to phrase this. We have a motley crew of fowl and ducks all mixed and housed together.
    One of the white ones, I think she is a aylard duck, is breathing like somebody with a chest infection, and is kind of clicking her beak. She is still eating, and grazing, and will wonder off with her 2 Khaki Campbell friends...
    We have had ducks for many a year, but I have never come accross this
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I dont know much about Ducks but I keep hens. She could have a respiratory infection - are her eyes and nares (nostrils) clear? - I would check out irishfowl.com and irish-poultry.com for some advise from duck keepers. If she does has an infection, you should take her to a vet for baytril type medication? (an antibiotic for hens, but I dont know if its suitable for ducks) Some of these infections are easily transmitted to the rest of the flock, so maybe isolate her if shes deteriorating and get some advise from your vet

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Aonb,
    Many thanks, and I hope you are keeping well after your recent loss of your buddy. Saw it on the animal thread. X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Outdoorlass, thanks for that. Life goes on. Down from 3 dogs earlier this year to 1 now, and our beloved horse went yesterday - being an animal lover is tough sometimes :(

Advertisement