Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I get 600 points in the leaving Cert?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Or guidance councillor in school is an ex principal, and he literally expands your options rather then narrow them down, I had to tell him 'honestly I appreciate you giving me other options but the truth is I have looked into every imaginable one that I could see myself in and not one of these courses or they're job prospects interest me, medicine is only for those who can't see themselves doing anything else, and I guess I'm in that bracket...'
    I felt a bit cheeky but I lost all regards for that feeling after the 5 consecutive week of deflecting my questions regarding subjects...
    Thankfully doe he stopped soon after!

I have looked into other possibilities then just what is in schools and I believe that I am going with my best options, I mean these are subjects that I have a solid grounding in that I know I am capable of getting 90+ in, appreciate the insight doe, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Study

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

cookie24 wrote: »
    Study
    Yep and don't spend all your time calculating what points are needed here and there get the 600 then worry about what to do with them then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to read the CAO handbook and understand how it works.

Not a lot of point in getting 600 points if you've filled the CAO form out incorrectly.

Every year I think, 'Surely everyone knows the system now?' and every year there are people here asking will they be offered a lower choice as they don't want their number one any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

spurious wrote: »
    Make sure to read the CAO handbook and understand how it works.

Not a lot of point in getting 600 points if you've filled the CAO form out incorrectly.

Every year I think, 'Surely everyone knows the system now?' and every year there are people here asking will they be offered a lower choice as they don't want their number one any more.

I have till next year to worry about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I got 605 back in 2013 and just thought I'd throw my 2c in...

First of all no matter how much work you do be prepared for something not to go to plan, I was banking on an A1 in Irish and ended up walking out with a B1-my worst result in the subject I thought would be one of my best. This was despite doing a top class oral and A1 tape, the material I had been given by my teacher for the written and had been told was A1 standard was in fact only B2/B3 standard!

Conversely, and also on the subject of being relaxed, I stopped stressing about English after the mocks as I figured it would be my weakest (I did 7 HL subjects) and stopped doing homework essays and the likes however I still made sure I learnt all my quotations and stuff and I understood HOW to answer a question. Because I felt under no pressure to try do amazingly I walked into my first two exams extremely relaxed (but still focused and determined) and surpassed all my expectations with an A1.

In terms of general study I cannot emphasise enough the importance of understanding the material, especially in maths at your stage as if you're lost now it'll only go downhill- one thing to be wary of if you're going to make the switch to HL though is if you're spending so much time on maths to try get yourself those 25 extra points that you're losing them in your other subjects.. You have to be pragmatic!!

You're only in 5th year so I wouldn't go about absolutely killing yourself with study yet, however what i would say is:

do your homework as well as you can,

study for class tests and exams,

make sure you understand what you're covering (if not for god sake ask!!)

any project style work like in geography history etc try have pretty much everything done this year- that may not apply for geog I didn't do the subject.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to know anything else! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Overall I've got some great answers and some interesting but off topic points,

Overall I'm greatful to everyone who posted as they all gave me some insight into whether getting 600 in the leaving cert is doable, from what I gathered it's not impossible but it's not easy.
    Indeed, Sean, some very off-topic points and arguments.

Sean, we had this discussion earlier in the summer, and I think you know yourself where you stand. Being blunt, you told us that you arsed around in JC years and chose to do OL subjects for an easy life, and that it was only this summer that you clarified a clear goal and realised that you had to get the finger out.

So be it. What's done is done.

Whatever anyone says to the contrary, I think you yourself know that those who covered the honours syllabus for JC in the various subjects have an advantage right now. Whatever anyone says, you will find yourself with a bigger jump than they will.

Your own teachers who know your ability seem to feel that you can make that jump if you want to, and to be supportive; that, to me, is a very positive sign.

After that, it's up to you to put in the work and do it consistently. That said, I'd always advocate balance whether for students in secondary school or heading into third level; yes, you need to work hard, but take care to get some exercise, to eat and sleep properly, to have a social life. You may have to restrict the latter somewhat, but it's important too. Striking a balance helps you and your brain work efficiently and effectively; staying up cramming until 2 a.m. and having to be up again at 7 in the morning usually means that not very much at all is sinking in, but you are driving your stress levels through the roof. Another good rule is to study when you're studying (and don't fool yourself that an open book beside you constitutes study if you're on facebook chatting) and when you're not, forget about it entirely.
    Seanf999 wrote: »
    I have till next year to worry about that!
    You do indeed, but it's still good advice; if you were around the forum over the last few weeks you would have seen the number of students who got the points they needed yet didn't get the course they actually wanted because they didn't understand the CAO system. Every year the same, and it's such a shame.

Next year is plenty of time for that though.

I think it would be useful from here on in if we restricted this thread to *practical* advice for Sean in answer to his question above (that might include personal experience as for example in the post immediately above this).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I done the LC in 1997, but don't you now get something like 25 bonus points for passing HL Maths, or is an honour required?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oscar.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I done the LC in 1997, but don't you now get something like 25 bonus points for passing HL Maths, or is an honour required?

You just have to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

Oscar. wrote: »
    You just have to pass.

But you have to count Maths as one of your top 6 subjects, AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

booblefoop wrote: »

Nope.

B1 HL maths (85+25=110pts) is counted over a HL A2 (90pts) in another subject eg English.

It's the total points for the subject as oppose to the letter grade that's important

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oscar.

booblefoop wrote: »

A pass will get you 70 points at the bare minimum, and that's with A D3, so there's a high chance that Maths will be in a person's top 6 when the bonus points are taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Nope.

B1 HL maths (85+25=110pts) is counted over a HL A2 (90pts) in another subject eg English.

It's the total points for the subject as oppose to the letter grade that's important

Pah, in my day we didn't have all those new fangled bonus points.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Sorry if this point has been labelled already, but you need to have chemistry to actually be accepted into any medicine course in Ireland, regardless of how many points you have, the only exception being RCSI's 6 year course (their 5 year course requires chemistry). I would advise making a change from business or geography (keep biology if you can), or if needs be, do it outside school. Even if you have 625 in your Leaving and a fabulous HPAT, you will not be offered any medicine course without chemistry.

On that note, for any other 5th or 6th year students reading this, DO CAREFUL RESEARCH when choosing a college course, particularly with regards to entry requirements. I have a neighbour who wanted to do biomedical engineering, and all through 6th year was confident that he'd only need points somewhere in the mid-400s range. He did honours maths but only worked towards a D3, so he was delighted come results day when he got his D1 - until about an hour later when his brother told him he needed a minimum HC3 in maths for engineering, which was all his CAO was filled with. So, entry requirements = minimum points AND minimum grades in certain subjects.

Good luck everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry if this point has been labelled already, but you need to have chemistry to actually be accepted into any medicine course in Ireland, regardless of how many points you have, the only exception being RCSI's 6 year course (their 5 year course requires chemistry). I would advise making a change from business or geography (keep biology if you can), or if needs be, do it outside school. Even if you have 625 in your Leaving and a fabulous HPAT, you will not be offered any medicine course without chemistry.

Simply not true. Poor, poor advice.

Medicine 6 years NUIG - requirements - 1 science subject
    Medicine 6 years UCD - requirements - 1 science subject
    Medicine 6 years RCSI - requirements - 1 science subject
    Medicine 5 years TCD - requirements - 2 science subjects (but not Ag Science and Biology together)
    Medicine 6 years NUIG -requirements - 1 laboratory science
    Medicine 5 years UCC - 2 sciences (1 must be HC3 in Chemisty and the other either physics or biology)

UCC is the only university with a compulsory chemistry requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Simply not true. Poor, poor advice.

Medicine 6 years NUIG - requirements - 1 science subject
    Medicine 6 years UCD - requirements - 1 science subject
    Medicine 6 years RCSI - requirements - 1 science subject
    Medicine 5 years TCD - requirements - 2 science subjects (but not Ag Science and Biology together)
    Medicine 6 years NUIG -requirements - 1 laboratory science
    Medicine 5 years UCC - 2 sciences (1 must be HC3 in Chemisty and the other either physics or biology)

UCC is the only university with a compulsory chemistry requirement

My apologies. You're right with UCC needing chemistry but the 5 year med course in NUIG and the 5 year course in RCSI also require a HC3 in chemistry. I was wrong about everything else. Now I feel an eejit. :o

And THIS is why we do our proper research for college courses, children! :p (see my previous post edit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

The key to medicine is the HPAT test, spend money on learning and practicing the different types of questions. Remember you will need a minimum (it used to be 485) in the leaving and every point in the hpat is added to this, there are other minimum requirements in the different schools.

Advertisement