Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 weeks off the bike.

Options
  • 30-08-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what can i do to get back to peak fitness after been off bike for this period. I was racing competitively this season and I have put on fat especially around belly and my fitness is miles off it was which is obvious.

I have done 5 spins in a 1.5weeks. First 2 were 45km and third was a 65km. Fourth one was a light 10km spin on trainer. Today's one was 95km but I suffered with cramps and was dropped. I did too much today which was bad. What can I do to get back to where I was and how long before I get back again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Presumably you want to get back to race condition for next year's racing season, I'm no coach but the very basic advice would be to build up your basic endurance over the next few months and gradually then up the intensity and add in intervals to sharpen your speed.

As I understand it that's the basics, someone else more knowledgeable will probably flesh it out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just wondering what can i do to get back to peak fitness after been off bike for this period. I was racing competitively this season and I have put on fat especially around belly and my fitness is miles off it was which is obvious.

I have done 5 spins in a 1.5weeks. First 2 were 45km and third was a 65km. Fourth one was a light 10km spin on trainer. Today's one was 95km but I suffered with cramps and was dropped. I did too much today which was bad. What can I do to get back to where I was and how long before I get back again?

Thanks

This years race season is over, plenty of time to build to the new season in Feb-15. In answer to your question 15 weeks off the bike is a long time, depending how much time you put into getting your prior peak form it could well take 3 months to get back to where you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The racing season is pretty much over apart from Charleville. Settle into your winter training routine is what I would be doing.

Advertisement