Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 177: Dillashaw vs. Barao

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Loads booing but Tony I reckon defo won the 1st and took the second too with more work from the bottom; third was Castillos for sure using the same tactic that he used for the second goin in his favour that time only has himself to blame bringing it to the judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Very pleased with that decision, even though I dislike Ferguson.

Castillo summed it up with his whiny rant in the interview, "but I controlled him, I held him down". Glad to see that attitude punished.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Very pleased with that decision, even though I dislike Ferguson.

Castillo summed it up with his whiny rant in the interview, "but I controlled him, I held him down". Glad to see that attitude punished.

Ha well said so true

I never thought Dillashaw would beat Barao so who knows I'd give Soto a chance,would I buy the PPV no! :D

No idea in that 1st Soto did well

• Advertisement

TJ I imagine up 2 rounds but it is a 5 rounder and Soto not done.

Give that to Dillashaw too Soto needs the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

That was a very solid card considering all the criticism beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

weemcd wrote: »
    That was a very solid card considering all the criticism beforehand
    Who'd a thunk it?
    I don't really know how people (mostly the media) have such concrete opinions before the event even happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It was a decent card for sure, but the 3 fight prelims pissed me off. 2 Hours for three fights was an absolute joke. Strenching it out with pointless bull****.

That reverse bulldog choke was absolutely sick! Bethe is an absolute mauler i really enjoyed that fight. Soto deserves massive amounts of credit he put in a good showing for 24 hours notice, his head movement was sublime, really looking forward to his next fight! Castillos rant was absolutely hilarious, hes well capable to standing but chose to try lay and pray, deserved all he got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Haven't watched the fights yet but I'm hearing predominantly good things. Reality unfortunately though, is that the events success will be based on ratings and PPV sales.

Providing entertaining competitive fights between unranked fighters and unknowns just is not good enough from an organisation like the UFC. Regardless of how entertaining the card was, they still got it very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Love watching TJ Dillashaw fight. Some great fights for him in the future, Cruz, Faber and Barao all left to fight. Such a stark contrast, this weight class looked quite bare even 12 months ago

Here's the presser my god prepare yourself for more moaning from Castillo.

http://severemma.com/2014/08/video-ufc-177-dillashaw-vs-soto-post-fight-press-conference/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Safe to say Potts has a broken rib or two!

1904248_849949298363749_5338777506830668897_n.png?oh=70d75dc1da27d82323af62df47db7439&oe=547070FA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

For a card that was set up to fail it actually turned out quite decent.

Yancy Medeiros showed a vastly improved stand up game and was really taking the Diaz spirit into the cage. Body shots and peppering jabs were the order of the day. Very weird finish though.

Diego Ferreira is a war horse being capable at standup and having an enviable ground game. Expect more from this guy.

Bethe Correia would get destroyed by Rousey but she definitely knows how to play the hype game. She definitely needs a few more fights before 'Honda'. Perhaps a match up with Sara McMann would be decent as she is also vying for another crack at Rousey.

Having seen him fight before and watching several post fight interviews I never really liked Danny Castillo. He just seemed like the kind of guy that would annoy me. Similarly with Brendan Schaub. I don't know maybe it's the giant lips. Anyway, his post fight whining certainly didn't endear him to me any more. Before the results were read I thought that it was a close fight but ultimately gave it to Ferguson. Castillo looked pretty tired after the first and downright exhausted after the second. His method of fighting was not so much 'lay and prey' but rather just 'lay'.

Really enjoyed the main event and who thought Soto would go as far as he did? I've read in a few places that he should consider a move to flyweight but if he keeps putting on performances like this he may do very well at Bantamweight. Dillashaw should get the winner of Cruz vs. Mizugaki next.

p to the e wrote: »
    Dillashaw should get the winner of Cruz vs. Mizugaki next.
    Raphael Assunco if he wins in October imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Decent enough card in the end. Soto a very game opponent and would have been interesting if he had a full training camp behind him. Granted, I'd still expect the same outcome but takes a lot of balls to step up 24 hours in advance to fight for a title against an ever improving TJ Dillashaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mellor wrote: »
    Raphael Assunco if he wins in October imo.

Dana White said as much in the scrum after the post fight presser. When questioned on it he said Ascuncao vs Dillashaw ''makes sense'' for Dillashaws next defence.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Decent enough card in the end. Soto a very game opponent and would have been interesting if he had a full training camp behind him. Granted, I'd still expect the same outcome but takes a lot of balls to step up 24 hours in advance to fight for a title against an ever improving TJ Dillashaw.
    Soto had a full camp. He was on the card already and presumably training accordingly.
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Dana White said as much in the scrum after the post fight presser. When questioned on it he said Ascuncao vs Dillashaw ''makes sense'' for Dillashaws next defence.
    He's always copying me that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Was going to say that a potential Cruz matchup could be big business but completely forgot that Assuncao already beat Dillashaw so that could be a big sell. In the mean time the baldfather might give Barao an extremely difficult return fight in Cruz (if he wins obviously) as he is certain to hold a grudge against him for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    Soto had a full camp. He was on the card already and presumably training accordingly.

I thought Rogan said that he had only been in a fight as little as 2 or 3 weeks ago no?

According to Wikipedia he won his last fight on August 7th. Less than a month seems a short enough training camp to me anyway though I'm no expert. Figured 5/6 weeks was the norm for a full fight camp.

That_Guy wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia he won his last fight on August 7th. Less than a month seems a short enough training camp to me anyway though I'm no expert. Figured 5/6 weeks was the norm for a full fight camp.

He would have been in a fight camp before that fight also. 6 weeks before that, plus 3 weeks before this. That was Soto at full fitness imo.

Advertisement