Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike bum woes

Options
  • 29-08-2014 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Just got my first bike (Specialized Vita) and well my bum is not thanking me for it.

I bought it for leisure mainly so am wondering which would be best gel saddle cover or padded shorts as the thought of going for a cycle tomorrow has me wincing with the pain already.

My Dad and brother say I just need to grin and bear it but it was so unbearable last night I didn’t enjoy myself at all on my cycle, does it get better??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Doing any reasonable distance without padded shorts is asking for pain.

Get the best padded shorts that you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

crosstownk wrote: »
    Doing any reasonable distance without padded shorts is asking for pain.

Crippled after 6k and 10k!

I may go shopping this weekend so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Padded shorts will help, but your dad and brother are basically right.

Everyone gets a sore bum for a while when they start up cycling again. Your bum is basically a big muscle, it will adjust to the new demands/pressure being put on it by supporting your weight on a narrow saddle. There are saddles you can get to help but none that will make the problem go away. I would suggets you not rush out and buy one though until you "settle down" so if you need to change your existing saddle you get one that suits long term.

the good news is it is short term and in a few weeks it won't happen anymore, unless you are going on long cycles >40/50k. Even then it won't be near as bad as the intial few weeks.

On top of that a new saddle needs to be "broken in" a bit like a new pair of shoes.

So grin and bear it for the time being, but you will find as time goes by getting on the bike will generate alot more grins than grimaces! Don't overdo it in the beginning, keep the cycles relatively short until you get used to it.

Good luck and congrats on teh new bike

just to add - if you are getting a pair of padded shorts make sure that they are decent quality and won't chafe/blister you. You could consider buying a tube of "chamois cream" with them, which is a sort of lubricant cream you put on yourself under the shorts to prevent chafing.

Don't wear anything under the shorts - if you do it will get damp from sweat and will chafe you to the point you will be walking like john wayne for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Definitely get some proper cycling shorts. One of my favourite pairs is one with a detachable inner lining, so you can use the padded part with normal clothing. For the saddle, you'll probably get used to it after a while. It's not necessarily about having lots of padding-most important thing with a saddle is that you have the correct size and actually sometimes a saddle with less padding can be more comfortable. Best just to use what you have and probably the pain will subside as you get used to cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Without divulging too much info what the problem? Is it just tenderness or is it saddle sores/chaffing?

I was suffering really badly with chaffing on one side which I fixed with a bike fit. Turned out I was rocking my hips while peddling and this was the cause (leg length imbalance). I had already gone through 2 saddles trying to fix it myself.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks lads, I didn't realise how many lubes you have for cycling chamois / dry and wet lol!

The Dad and brother are heavily into cycling and are only delighted to have a new recruit on board after my protests to not join them over the years but the lure of decent bike for nothing on the bike to work scheme was too good to turn down.

I like the idea of the detachable padding to use on normal clothes.

What are your thoughts on shoes?

I got the pedals which are normal one side and cleats the other if I decide to change my mind in the future.

I have signed up for the 50k Nicholas Roche cycle in October, a bit ambitious maybe??

The_Sub wrote: »
    Without divulging too much info what the problem? Is it just tenderness or is it saddle sores/chaffing?

Tenderness on the bones :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Double bag with padded until you are comfortable then go to single padded.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

My wife just got bike 2 weeks ago, hybird style and was getting awful pain in the coccyx doing 4km - 8km.

Got her to try my padded shorts and did nothing else with bike and she's been fine over the last 2 spins of around 10km.

Now she's off to get her own to stop me saying stop robbing my gear:D

Seems to be the best place to start

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

What Fian said is exactly right. It takes a short time to get used to it. When I started commuting 10k each way many years ago I thought I was going to have to stand at my desk for the first week. After a week that pain basically disappeared.

I don't think your plan of doing a 50k is too ambitious. You should be able to work up to that in the time. Having a goal is great to motivate you and really the worst that can happen is that you decide you aren't ready and back out the week before. I think you'll probably surprise yourself with how quickly 50k becomes easy.

I was going to say that don't let all the recommendations for cycling shorts put you off. The reason being that they are not really needed for 5-6k and it might put you off going out at all if you have to dress up for it. However if you are planning a 50k sportive definitely get them, they'll make your life a lot easier (and not just your posterior).

Fiona wrote: »
    I have signed up for the 50k Nicholas Roche cycle in October, a bit ambitious maybe??

Definitely not too ambitious. I had not exercised in 20 years and was overweight enough to snap my first saddle when I got a bike a few years ago, I didn't actually do a 50k spin in the first few months but I have little doubt that I could have. Not quickly enough to compete for winning a race, but it will be easy enough to finish.

Still overweight but less than I was and now I look forward to "exercise" when I get to go on a long spin at the weekend, I honestly would not have believed I would ever enjoy "exercise" a few years ago. Now I sometimes cycle up stocking lane on my way home from work just because I want to.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I was going to say that don't let all the recommendations for cycling shorts put you off. The reason being that they are not really needed for 5-6k and it might put you off going out at all if you have to dress up for it. However if you are planning a 50k sportive definitely get them, they'll make your life a lot easier (and not just your posterior).

Ah I don't mind dressing for the occasion if it means I will be comfortable, with a helmet and a pink high viz all attractivness and coolness goes out the window lol I don't want to knocked down :D
    Fian wrote: »
    Definitely not too ambitious. I had not exercised in 20 years and was overweight enough to snap my first saddle when I got a bike a few years ago, I didn't actually do a 50k spin in the first few months but I have little doubt that I could have. Not quickly enough to compete for winning a race, but it will be easy enough to finish.

Still overweight but less than I was and now I look forward to "exercise" when I get to go on a long spin at the weekend, I honestly would not have believed I would ever enjoy "exercise" a few years ago. Now I sometimes cycle up stocking lane on my way home from work just because I want to.

I used to be superfit when I was a teenager and I was well able to cycle from Bray to Glencree so I know the ability is there once I put my mind to it.

I am not quite sure I will ever embrace the cycling to work concept but I defo want it for leisure in the evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I find there's a good selection of shorts & long pants in Cycle Surgery in Dundrum S.C. I haven't had any comfort from the padded Lidl/Aldi ones for longer spins.

A big decision with shorts is whether to go tight (a la roadie) or baggy (a la MTB).

There are female-specific saddles too, not that I know anything about them!

But keep your spins short until the hurt stops. Too long in the saddle while it's hurting and you may end up having to take several days off.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fian wrote: »
    Padded shorts will help, but your dad and brother are basically right.

Everyone gets a sore bum for a while when they start up cycling again. Your bum is basically a big muscle, it will adjust to the new demands/pressure being put on it by supporting your weight on a narrow saddle. There are saddles you can get to help but none that will make the problem go away. I would suggets you not rush out and buy one though until you "settle down" so if you need to change your existing saddle you get one that suits long term.

the good news is it is short term and in a few weeks it won't happen anymore, unless you are going on long cycles >40/50k. Even then it won't be near as bad as the intial few weeks.

On top of that a new saddle needs to be "broken in" a bit like a new pair of shoes.

So grin and bear it for the time being, but you will find as time goes by getting on the bike will generate alot more grins than grimaces! Don't overdo it in the beginning, keep the cycles relatively short until you get used to it.

Good luck and congrats on teh new bike

As above.. but there is such a thing as a "wrong" saddle. I've been cycling 14 months/5000k and I'd have gone with the "you need to break your arse in" brigade 100% were it not for my folly with a Prologo Kappa 147mm saddle earlier this week.

Dear...

God....

I was standing up out of the saddle at 14km and I was contemplating walking at 18km. When I got to work at 20k the pain in my hoop was excruciating.

A wide 147 saddle is not for me in a road bike posture.

The pain was that bad that I borrowed a car during lunch and went home and got another saddle, as there was no way I was cycling home using the Prologo Kappa.

If the pain lasts longer than your bum "breaking in" and is constant, then it could well be the saddle and your sit bones. Good/bad shorts won't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

As above.. but there is such a thing as a "wrong" saddle. I've been cycling 14 months/5000k and I'd have gone with the "you need to break your arse in" brigade 100% were it not for my folly with a Prologo Kappa 147mm saddle earlier this week.

Dear...

God....

I was standing up out of the saddle at 14km and I was contemplating walking at 18km. When I got to work at 20k the pain in my hoop was excruciating.

A wide 147 saddle is not for me in a road bike posture.

The pain was that bad that I borrowed a car during lunch and went home and got another saddle, as there was no way I was cycling home using the Prologo Kappa.

If the pain lasts longer than your bum "breaking in" and is constant, then it could well be the saddle and your sit bones. Good/bad shorts won't make a difference.

I had this exact problem. Bike came with a stock 134 mm saddle. I kept cycling on it for a year thinking it was a problem with breaking it in, or due to my position on the bike. Things came to a head in the WW200 when I couldn't feel my nether regions for 2 days afterwards.

Ordered a cheapish Charge Scoop on Wiggle the next day with a 145 mm width and it was unbelievable the difference it made. Cycling has become unbelievably more enjoyable since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This reminds me of when my Mam and Dad decided they'd cycle the Mulraney cycleway and back. No probs on the way out but my Dad said his arse got so sore on the way back that he cycled nearly all of it standing up ha, he was 65 when doing it!!!

He used to do alot of cycling but that was prob 20 or 30 years ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The first week I started riding, my bum was super sore after just 3km. It didn't help that my saddle was rock hard too. Then after a couple of weeks of just bearing through the pain, my bum got used to it and it wasn't as sore anymore still long rides were painful. Then I got some padded shorts and now I can do 20Km without a sore bum, mostly. I guess if I invest in better quality shorts, I should be able to do longer rides without any problem as even with the shorts I have (which aren't the best quality) my bum starts to get a little sore after around 20km.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

Assuming from your username you are female then the ladies Altura Progel shorts come highly recommended by me!! Got my first bike 4-5 weeks ago, have done 60-70km spins myself and the Sean Kelly 100 last Sunday with absolutely no saddle discomfort. I will quantify that statement by saying I do alot of horseriding so probably have a relatively hardened backside anyway but even still those shorts have made a huge difference to my biking comfort.

• Advertisement

Thanks will defo check those shorts out hoping to get out again on the bike this evening but only gonna do a short spin.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If its pain in your sit bones you'll get used to it quickly. Just make sure your sit bones rest on the saddle and don't roll off the sides as you pedal. If its soft tissue chafing/pressure you might need to adjust your position on your bike.

Don't wear underwear under padded shorts. I've also found that less padding works better than loads for me. Double padding i would hate! But it took me a long time realise what works for me. So experiment if you have to. Buying women's specific shorts is worth it, and pay as much as you can afford.

How does the chaffing happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Sorry to jump in in the post but can anyone recommend a gel saddle cover? It's for an exercise bike that is a killer on the bum! Thanks!

Right so, the Dad's girlfriend got a pair of long cycling leggings a while ago in Lidl and they didn't fit so gave them to me to try.

I think they were an improvement for sure and whilst they did fit they weren't great around the tummy area as in the were rolling down which made it very annoying while cycling so I know understand why they sell those shorts with the straps.

I will be going to the bike shop this week to place an order I think as I do have a credit note with them still (I got the full 1k on the bike scheme as it was just to cheap to say know too :D )

Just did 8k tonight saving myself for my spin with Dad tomorrow, plus my mudguard fell down and I had no tools with me so had to cycle home with it rubbing, I am used to my wheels rubbing the wheel arches on my car but this is all new to me lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Colm_D

Welcome to the dark world of cycling Fiona :p You didn't honestly expect the saddle to be as comfy as the E30 seats now did ya: :)

Colm_D wrote: »
    Welcome to the dark world of cycling Fiona :p You didn't honestly expect the saddle to be as comfy as the E30 seats now did ya: :)

Haha no the cycling is a whole new form of hardship!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you try a few saddles out in the shop? it was an easy decision to swap when my my wife got a bike a few weeks ago - she's tall enough that she went for a man's bike, so swapped the saddle for a decent enough womens' saddle.

did you try a few saddles out in the shop? it was an easy decision to swap when my my wife got a bike a few weeks ago - she's tall enough that she went for a man's bike, so swapped the saddle for a decent enough womens' saddle.

No just went with the one that came with the bike. I will give it another week and assess the situation!

• Advertisement

Did 20k yesterday with Dad.

That was after he had spent the morning mountain biking I might add!

It was tough, there was times I wanted to stop and cry but I kept going, kinda scared wondering what I have gotten myself into with this 50k cycle!!!!

Advertisement