Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Carbonara

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I love preground white pepper. Love it!
    Black pepper must be freshly ground for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I can't stand pre-ground pepper, whether it's black or white. I'd much rather go without, even if it's a dish where I'd usually use pepper.

I love freshly ground black pepper, never had freshly ground white pepper though! Will look out for white peppercorns next time I'm shopping.

I'm nearly sure I've seen pink peppercorns?! Never tried them though, I've no idea what they're like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I love preground white pepper. Love it!

Me too! That's what goes into coddle. Probably because it's what my mam & granny always put into it. The smell reminds me of being 5.
    Point of information for anyone who might not know : White pepper is black pepper with the husk removed.

Did not know that! Love this place, I get so much potential quiz knowledge.
    I'm nearly sure I've seen pink peppercorns?! Never tried them though, I've no idea what they're like!

I find them very perfumed tasting, not a big fan. Although possibly they are one of them there "acquired tastes" that sneak up on me the way coriander did

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Pink peppercorns are probably the only way Nigella ever let me down. I bought some the first time I went into Fallon and Byrne, and was not impressed, Nigella. They're just expensive, not peppery, and kinda pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love preground white pepper.

It's a vital ingredient in Cornish pasties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I have a big bag of sarawak white peppercorns if anyone's interested in a sample. Drop me a PM.

Was watching Masterchef Australia last night and Marco Pierre White cooked Spaghetti Carbonara for masterclass. He said it's all about layering the flavours.
    He brings a pot of water to boil, covering the pot with a pan that he'll be using later for tossing everything in. Keeps the pan hot. Clever.
    Generously salts the water, no oil. Cooks packet pasta a couple of minutes shorter than instructed.
    Meanwhile, he oven grills the pancetta for even cooking, chops them in big chunks for texture.
    When pasta is ready, drain then throw into the heated pot, heat on, keep tossing, add 2 eggs and cream; about equal amount 50:50. keep tossing. Heat off.
    On the serving plate sprinkle generous grated parmesan, then a handful of pancetta, then the pasta, then more parmesan and finish off with the rest of pancetta.
    It looks pretty good I might give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

N-No stock cubes?

dibkins wrote: »
    N-No stock cubes?

Well you know what, if you Google 'Marco Pierre White Spaghetti Carbonara', the Knorr link will actually give you his recipe using Knorr stock pot. Tut tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Was watching Masterchef Australia last night and Marco Pierre White cooked Spaghetti Carbonara for masterclass. He said it's all about layering the flavours.
    He brings a pot of water to boil, covering the pot with a pan that he'll be using later for tossing everything in. Keeps the pan hot. Clever.
    Generously salts the water, no oil. Cooks packet pasta a couple of minutes shorter than instructed.
    Meanwhile, he oven grills the pancetta for even cooking, chops them in big chunks for texture.
    When pasta is ready, drain then throw into the heated pot, heat on, keep tossing, add 2 eggs and cream; about equal amount 50:50. keep tossing. Heat off.
    On the serving plate sprinkle generous grated parmesan, then a handful of pancetta, then the pasta, then more parmesan and finish off with the rest of pancetta.
    It looks pretty good I might give it a try.

Cream? That's blasphemy!

• Advertisement

Ah here we go again....

Advertisement