Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Routine

Options
  • 28-08-2014 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I want to start going to the gym regularly over the next few months as I am a quite thin person. I play a good bit of football and would like to gain weight and build muscle to suit that.

My problem is whenever I have joined a gym before I would go in not knowing what exercises to do etc..

I'd appreciate it if anybody could recommend a program to follow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd have to recommend StrongLifts 5x5, google it, great entry program for lifting and strength building. But make sure you get someone experienced or a trainer to do a session or two with you first to ensure your form is correct.

There's plenty of other routines online as well, just got to pick the best one that suits you and your goals.

Remember that diet and nutrition are just as important than the gym, if not more, so research that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nutrition and exercise knowledge here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I'd second .ak and get a session or two with a trainer. When weight lifting form is crucial so that you don't get injured and you get the most out of each lift. Trainer's aren't as expensive as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Blackpanther95

If I was you I'd do a bodybuilding split (like the "bro spilt"). They can pack on tons of muscle and they don't require a personal trainer. The amount of people I seeing getting injured doing compounds with poor form. Some say you should start with compounds and then move on to isolations but for me you I think its better to start with isolations and then move on to compounds. Compounds can get you injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

If I was you I'd do a bodybuilding split (like the "bro spilt"). They can pack on tons of muscle and they don't require a personal trainer. The amount of people I seeing getting injured doing compounds with poor form. Some say you should start with compounds and then move on to isolations but for me you I think its better to start with isolations and then move on to compounds. Compounds can get you injured.

Walking down the street can get you injured if you do it like a twat.

Go learn from a coach how to squat bench and deadlift. Use those as your main lifts and use other compounds as your assistance work with some isolation work.

Like;

A1) Squat reps x sets @ xx%

B1) Squat variation

B2) Something hip hinging- DL's, GM's

And then maybe a circuit of isolation work;

C1) Leg ext.
    C2) Ham curls
    C3) Calves or whatever.

All at a higher rep range than the A's and B's. Eat in a surplus, like you'd be doing with any programme that you're using to put on a few kg and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Walking down the street can get you injured if you do it like a twat.

Go learn from a coach how to squat bench and deadlift. Use those as your main lifts and use other compounds as your assistance work with some isolation work.

Like;

A1) Squat reps x sets @ xx%

B1) Squat variation

B2) Something hip hinging- DL's, GM's

And then maybe a circuit of isolation work;

C1) Leg ext.
    C2) Ham curls
    C3) Calves or whatever.

All at a higher rep range than the A's and B's. Eat in a surplus, like you'd be doing with any programme that you're using to put on a few kg and you'll be fine.

That would work, I've seen people do that at gain mass, I've seen people do that and not gain mass (although they get very strong). Its good you included the key point: the surplus, without that you won't gain any mass, protein shakes won't do it, you need to eat more.

haha yes walking down the street could get you injured, thats how ifbb pro Branch Warren got injured haha and he used to lift really heavy in the gym haha.

That would work, I've seen people do that at gain mass, I've seen people do that and not gain mass (although they get very strong). Its good you included the key point: the surplus, without that you won't gain any mass, protein shakes won't do it, you need to eat more.

haha yes walking down the street could get you injured, thats how ifbb pro Branch Warren got injured haha and he used to lift really heavy in the gym haha.

It's all relative to rep range/sets/tempos etc.. but don't leave out other stuff. I hate when I go to a gym and a coach refuses point blank to teach people how to squat or deadlift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Should the barbell be the first thing a newbie is introduced to? A variation of dumbell and kettle bell compound ( lunges, goblet squat etc) might provide a better introduction.

When newbie is strong and proficient on this, graduate to barbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ixus wrote: »
    Should the barbell be the first thing a newbie is introduced to? A variation of dumbell and kettle bell compound ( lunges, goblet squat etc) might provide a better introduction.

That's how I did it, but looking back at it, there's a lot to say about going onto a barbell sooner rather than later. A barbell allows better form on some compound movements, as often you're locked into a certain shape and don't dip or move.

Having said that, my physio had me doing all my squats from bodyweight, to dumbbells and then onto barbells as soon as I could do 10kg in each hand with good form. So I can't really speak for starting with a barbell.

ixus wrote: »

Well for bench there's no point giving them DB's if they're more then capable of benching a bar. Squats and Deads are different. People can seem to get the motor pattern right so you might either start with goblet squats so they don't fall over or possibly to a box and then a BB maybe to a box.

Deads could progress from rack pulls. Down a pin each time till you hit the floor etc..

Slight progressions each time and people don't know they're actually moving right.

• Advertisement

It's all relative to rep range/sets/tempos etc.. but don't leave out other stuff. I hate when I go to a gym and a coach refuses point blank to teach people how to squat or deadlift.

What you've seen a coach refuse to teach those ? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

What you've seen a coach refuse to teach those ? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

It's not an uncommon thing seen in gyms. Coaches don't know how. Well actually they do IF everything goes right but normally it doesn't and different people need different correctives and a lot of coaches don't know how to correct them so just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

There's no reason any able-bodied person should have to 'graduate' to a barbell (excluding oly lifts). You get someone, preferably a professional to show you how and you do it. If you spend 6 months squatting an empty bar, so be it, but the only way to do it is to do it.

It's not an uncommon thing seen in gyms. Coaches don't know how. Well actually they do IF everything goes right but normally it doesn't and different people need different correctives and a lot of coaches don't know how to correct them so just leave it.

All too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most of the time I'd say they aren't bothered with the liability and auto-pilot machine routine is easiest.

There's no reason any able-bodied person should have to 'graduate' to a barbell (excluding oly lifts). You get someone, preferably a professional to show you how and you do it. If you spend 6 months squatting an empty bar, so be it, but the only way to do it is to do it.

All too common.

Bingo.

Advertisement