Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Despite epic thread on Hungary, would like to hear patient feedback

Options
  • 28-08-2014 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi there,

I found this forum through googling reviews for a couple of clinics in Hungary. The most recent epic thread going back years was quite the read but from what I could see on it, it was full of Irish dentists providing anecdotal negative feedback, which I can't help wonder is fed by a loss of business for them.

Perhaps I'm clinging onto the possibility that there are some success stories out there? I really want to have my teeth look better. They are such an embarrassment. I can't afford to have it done here, no where near afford it. What other choice do I have? Do I continue on being embarrassed or do I go abroad and have what looks to be 10 crowns done?

I've read every post from the dentists bashing the work but I'd love some feedback from any posters who have actually been and had the surgery done and can give first hand accounts.

I half suspect that there will be some rule break here and the post locked or deleted as it appears that all the mods are Irish dentists.

Thank you!

Edit; can i just ask for no smart arse replies about me considering this. I can't stress enough how much my teeth affect my confidence and self esteem and I'm a bit fragile about it all. I only have a a few bob saved for this. Im not entitled to medical card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crystallamp

Thank you for your reply Davos but what I really want is actual patient feedback. I have had a consultation from one clinic already and experienced a hard sell. Put me off a bit but the prospect of being able to smile again is drawing me back to them.

Also a lot of the mentions in other post go back a couple of years so I'm looking for recent feedback please.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

Went to Mumbai (India) couple years ago for dental treatment. Got a couple weeks holiday out of it and saved a bundle (even considering flights, hotel, etc.)

No issues whatsoever since - everything's perfect.

If you're interested I can pm you details of the clinic I went to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

OP, your first step should be to research exactly what you need. Only then can you make an accurate comparison between ROI & Hungary.
    If you were buying a car, you'd shop around, the same applies here.
    All you will need is a checkup& xrays, in order to be provided with a treatment plan & estimate. You can bring copies of these X-rays to a 2nd or 3rd dentist if you wish,& get different opinions& quotes. The whole process should not cost more than €150,& would be money well spent if you're talking about spending 10 times or more, that amount.

simplybam wrote: »
    Went to Mumbai (India) couple years ago for dental treatment. Got a couple weeks holiday out of it and saved a bundle (even considering flights, hotel, etc.)

No issues whatsoever since - everything's perfect.

If you're interested I can pm you details of the clinic I went to.

Thanks for that. Mumbai a little too far for me. Plan to stick to EU. But thank you so much for response.

Dianthus wrote: »
    OP, your first step should be to research exactly what you need. Only then can you make an accurate comparison between ROI & Hungary.
    If you were buying a car, you'd shop around, the same applies here.
    All you will need is a checkup& xrays, in order to be provided with a treatment plan & estimate. You can bring copies of these X-rays to a 2nd or 3rd dentist if you wish,& get different opinions& quotes. The whole process should not cost more than €150,& would be money well spent if you're talking about spending 10 times or more, that amount.

Thank you! You're right & this is part of my plan. I have my x ray. Received quote from irish dentist for "maintenance" work to my teeth but my smile wouldnt change. That why I'm drawn to Hungary.

I've had extensive work done in N.Ireland ten years ago and it's all looking tired, ugly & mismatched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

[quote="crystallamp;Received quote from irish dentist for "maintenance" work to my teeth but my smile wouldnt change. That why I'm drawn to Hungary.
    .[/quote]
    What sort of maintenance work?
    Did you ask for a quote for the cosmetic work?

What sort of maintenance work?
    Did you ask for a quote for the cosmetic work?

Replacement of mercury fillings. A couple of replacement crowns.

The plan in Hungary is to crown nearly everything possible and whiten others. I can't afford to have it all done in one go so would plan on doing it in stages.

I didn't get quote for this level of work in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

some patients will have good treatment some will have bad. Its a roll of the dice. Overtreatment is ramapnt and lack of attention to detail in treatment planning and workmanship is rampant from what I have seen. My practice is busier retreating some of these case. OP its a roll of the dice, and a large number of my retreatment cases are from large, heavily marketed clinics in eastern europe.

8:30 am this morning this man dental tourism 4 years ago. Total mess. Maybe 25k to fix properly. Gross over treatment, poor treatment planning, rushed treatment, lack of workmanship and several chronic infections. Enture lower bridge very loose and painful. Has looked like total **** from day one.

A picture tells a thousand words

Thank you for reply but once again I'm looking for actual patient feedback and not dentists.

I can't help but believe that you are unlikely to post pics and stories of positive dental work from Hungary you have encountered as it's not beneficial for you to do so.

Furthermore, can you not tell from my post how desperate I am? I can't afford Irish prices. I don't want to schlep all over Europe on my own to get this done. I would much prefer to go to a Dublin one but it's not possible.

Furthermore, can you not tell from my post how desperate I am? I can't afford Irish prices. I don't want to schlep all over Europe on my own to get this done. I would much prefer to go to a Dublin one but it's not possible.
    It's precisely because of this desperation to have treatment, that posters are urging caution, so that you're not blind-sided by the lure of a bargain. This would apply equally to ROI or Hungary, which is why I advised having 2-3 consults with different practitioners. It's not realistic to request only positive patient reviews, absolutely no dentist anywhere has a 100% success rate.
    What is your budget OP?
    Can you post a photo of your teeth in their current state?

• Advertisement

It's precisely because of this desperation to have treatment, that posters are urging caution, so that you're not blind-sided by the lure of a bargain. This would apply equally to ROI or Hungary, which is why I advised having 2-3 consults with different practitioners. It's not realistic to request only positive patient reviews, absolutely no dentist anywhere has a 100% success rate.
    What is your budget OP?
    Can you post a photo of your teeth in their current state?

I'm not looking for only positive reviews I'm looking for actual patient reviews!

My savings are €2200. Like I said, I don't have the money to pay to have my whole mouth done.

I can't post pics because I'm a new poster it says.

(Edit - tried to post photo of teeth and xray)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

OP,
    You can not come onto an internet forum asking for and expecting unbiased advice. Everyone here has some reason why they would bother taking the time to read and post a reply...

You ask for positive reviews of dental tourism and you get this;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056526627&page=7
    The poster posed as a happy patient but was later outed as a sales rep for a dental clinic abroad. That rep also stole clinical photos off my and my colleague's (Fitzgeme) website and pretended that it was their work.

You say that you don't want a load of dentists on bashing the idea of going abroad as we are afraid of losing work. As previously posted, the actual number of patients going abroad for extensive work is small. If those patients can't afford to have treatment done correctly and choose to have it done cheaper elsewhere, then we never lost that patient as they never really could have it done here anyway.

What I "lose" in patients to dental tourism I get back again in multiples by retreating the failed cases. I as an Irish oral surgeon actually get more work out of dental tourism...! But yet, I bash dental tourism... why?? Because it is a shame that someone pays €10k elsewhere and then pays €25k later to have it fixed when €20k here would have done the job from the start....

To be clear, foreign dentistry is not the same as dental tourism.
    Is all foreign dentistry bad- definitely no. Dental tourism is where you get maximum treatment in minimum time to minimise the flight and hotel expense and make it cheaper than Ireland. If you were to have the job spaced correctly, the additional flight and hotel expense would make it uneconomical. Hungarian people in Hungary may have large scale treatments at home but they don't have it all done in 3 days like the Irish tourists......

OS

OP,
    You can not come onto an internet forum asking for and expecting unbiased advice. Everyone here has some reason why they would bother taking the time to read and post a reply...

OS

I respect you're a surgeon and I thank you for your reply but for someone who is clearly educated and professional it is hard to understand why you didn't read my actual post before replying or else chose to ignore what I'm asking for here.

I said I read the original thread which you have linked so I am aware of its content and nowhere did I say I only wanted positive reviews I have repeatedly asked for ACTUAL PATIENT FEEDBACK.

OP, even for Hungary, €2200 for 10 crowns, whitening, flights, accommodation is going to be a tall order.
    The average lifespan of a crown is 10-15 years. You have some crowns already which you want replacing& can't afford to. If you get lots of crowns on other teeth, will you be able to afford to replace them in 10 years time? Will you be able to afford corrective treatment *if* anything goes wrong?
    You need a financial "cushion" to maintain heavily restored teeth; it's a life-long cost, not a once-off thing.
    Patients might PM you instead; this thread looks a bit daunting for them to post in ;)

OP, even for Hungary, €2200 for 10 crowns, whitening, flights, accommodation is going to be a tall order.
    The average lifespan of a crown is 10-15 years. You have some crowns already which you want replacing& can't afford to. If you get lots of crowns on other teeth, will you be able to afford to replace them in 10 years time? Will you be able to afford corrective treatment *if* anything goes wrong?
    You need a financial "cushion" to maintain heavily restored teeth; it's a life-long cost, not a once-off thing.
    Patients might PM you instead; this thread looks a bit daunting for them to post in ;)

That's a good point and not one I had considered thanks. However, all the work that needs doing to my teeth is continuing work from Irish dentists so really no matter whether it's done abroad or at home, I will have future costs to consider.

My €2k savings is all I have for now but as I said I'm not getting all my work done in one go. I couldn't afford that. I'll continue to save.

I respect you're a surgeon and I thank you for your reply but for someone who is clearly educated and professional it is hard to understand why you didn't read my actual post before replying or else chose to ignore what I'm asking for here.

I said I read the original thread which you have linked so I am aware of its content and nowhere did I say I only wanted positive reviews I have repeatedly asked for ACTUAL PATIENT FEEDBACK.

The problem is that you have no way of telling who is a happy patient or a foreign clinic sales rep shilling a clinic and indeed no way of telling who is an unhappy patient or an Irish dentist bashing dental tourism. So asking for ACTUAL PATIENT FEEDBACK is naive.

The problem is that you have no way of telling who is a happy patient or a foreign clinic sales rep shilling a clinic and indeed no way of telling who is an unhappy patient or an Irish dentist bashing dental tourism. So asking for ACTUAL PATIENT FEEDBACK is naive.

If this is how you treat your patients, by railroading your opinions rather than listening to what they actually want and are asking for....I'm quite happy to take advice from elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

The protectionisn by Irish dentists in here is an embarrassment. The OP's request was crystal clear andv they've reiterated it more than once, would ye ever feck off and have a bit of respect?

OP, I'd be asking the mods to remove the OT posts here, they're detracting from your (entirely reasonable) thread. You may need to go to a supermod to get it done, given history here.

Good luck with your efforts. And no, dentists, I'm not a dentist, or a rep, or anything else like that.

daveohdave wrote: »
    The protectionisn by Irish dentists in here is an embarrassment. The OP's request was crystal clear andv they've reiterated it more than once, would ye ever feck off and have a bit of respect?

OP, I'd be asking the mods to remove the OT posts here, they're detracting from your (entirely reasonable) thread. You may need to go to a supermod to get it done, given history here.

Good luck with your efforts. And no, dentists, I'm not a dentist, or a rep, or anything else like that.

Thank you!!!!

I'd nearly prefer to leave the posts as they are. As you say, it's an embarrassment but it's what has happened and should remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

whilst i did not have any work done, three of my family did.
    One was quite serious and was there for two weeks whilst getting work done
    just 20 Zirconium Crowns

they are all quite pleased with the work.. They also used there tax credits to clain their 20% back here..

PS THEY HAD ALL THERE WORK DONE IN THE TOWN OF Debrecen

• Advertisement

whilst i did not have any work done, three of my family did.
    One was quite serious and was there for two weeks whilst getting work done
    just 20 Zirconium Crowns

they are all quite pleased with the work.. They also used there tax credits to clain their 20% back here..

Was hoping to get the Zirconium crowns! They look fab on pics I had seen. Thank you so much for replying. A little bit on anxiety has dissipated. Had read that about the tax relief too.

If this is how you treat your patients, by railroading your opinions rather than listening to what they actually want and are asking for....I'm quite happy to take advice from elsewhere.

I'm railroading nothing. The truth may hurt but it remains the truth. I have seen lots of dental tourism patients. Sure I see those who have failed treatment and not those who are happy but it is representative of the speedy work done.

You, like most dental tourism patients want to reinforce the decision that you have already made....

I'm railroading nothing. The truth may hurt but it remains the truth. I have seen lots of dental tourism patients. Sure I see those who have failed treatment and not those who are happy but it is representative of the speedy work done.

You, like most dental tourism patients want to reinforce the decision that you have already made....

And you like most Irish dentists want to reinforce the notion that dental tourism is wrong.

And you like most Irish dentists want to reinforce the notion that dental tourism is wrong.

yes it is....

daveohdave wrote: »

Protectionism of what?? My practice or patients??

My practice is busy as it is. The op has stated like most dental tourists that he/she does not have the money for treatment here. I stand to gain nothing by the op having treatment abroad as he/she was never able to have treatment with me to begin with.....

Why do I advise patients against dental tourism? Because I have seen too many patients spend the little money they have on a rushed and substandard job and then have no money left to fix it when it all falls apart....

Argue with me all you want, it makes no difference to me. My advice is in the best interest of others....

The photos I posted before? What advice should that man have had in 2008 before when got that job done? What advice would you have given him?

Case 2 : 6 Zirconia Crowns upper front teeth. Replaced cause they looked rubbish and fit poorly causing recession. What advice would you have given her before the first job?

OS stop giving this advice, your going to take my business away. ;)

The photos I posted before? What advice should that man have had in 2008 before when got that job done? What advice would you have given him?

Case 2 : 6 Zirconia Crowns upper front teeth. Replaced cause they looked rubbish and fit poorly causing recession. What advice would you have given

OS stop giving this advice, your going to take my business away. ;)

I'm glad you find this all so amusing. Posting dodgy pictures and making fun of my situation

You're supposed to be a professional. I have stated on this post I'm fragile and very low about my teeth and self esteem.

I didn't ask for your input, in fact I told you directly I didn't want it but you and your pals here continue to persist.

If this is the standard of professionalism in Irish dentistry, you have made my mind up for me.

MODS PLEASE DO NOT DELETE ANY POSTS ON THIS THREAD, THEY SHOULD REMAIN FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 QueenieB

Even though I often lament the cost of dentistry in Ireland, I have to agree with Oral Surgeon's stance. It stands to reason that if a lot of work needs to be done, it should be done over time, allowing proper healing, correct fits and refits if necessary and regular checkups. The age-old adage is true:- if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. I wouldn't even consider going abroad, no matter how tempting the ads and promises, because I cannot afford to lose/waste that money if things go wrong. Consider:- if it does go wrong and serious damage is done, how do you go about pursuing the foreign dentists for compensation/repair? Can you afford the repairs which will always cost more than the original work? At least in Ireland, the dentist is within the same jurisdiction and easier to pursue (worst case scenario - no disrespect to any good dentists intended). There will always be "cheaper" options out there, so don't be naive, lured by the ads, be smart. Accept that you will have to spend money to get a good, long-lasting job. Look at how you can maximise your savings - credit union loans are great (personal bias - they have always helped us - our eternal gratitude). Then find a good dentist here or in NI who will work consistently and over a period of time with you. Also, don't be afraid of negotiating with a dentist. They have to earn a living too and pay for supplies, but it never hurts to ask if there is any wiggle room for the guarantee of a lot of work....

Wishing you the very best and I really hope you come out smiling!
    PS I am not a dentist nor a fan of the "orthodontical" arts!

I'm glad you find this all so amusing. Posting dodgy pictures and making fun of my situation

You're supposed to be a professional. I have stated on this post I'm fragile and very low about my teeth and self esteem.

I didn't ask for your input, in fact I told you directly I didn't want it but you and your pals here continue to persist.

If this is the standard of professionalism in Irish dentistry, you have made my mind up for me.

MODS PLEASE DO NOT DELETE ANY POSTS ON THIS THREAD, THEY SHOULD REMAIN FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

You asked for actual patient experiences, I have given you two experiences of actual patients. I find this dead serious and not amusing at all, infact I find a lot of this stuff upsetting for patients, who get upset in my office. You can go back through my posts over the years, I have dozens of cases posted all different cases. All actual patients who agree to allow me to display their cases. I am in no way making fun of your situation, I am sorry if you feel that way. I am offering you a my considerable experience of this. If its positive only feedback you want thats a bit unbalanced and you should ask why its so hard to get (given that retreatment of failed dentistry is my business).

Will people stop back seat moderating, this is a open forum if posts are within the forum charter. The moderators will decide what is left and what is deleted within those rules. It is not for the OP to set the rules of reply.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

They explicitly asked for experiences from patients, and they implicitly asked dentists not to post. It's crystal clear.

I won't argue with you about it though, I know that's against the rules. To that end, I've filed a complaint here.

Advertisement