Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartridge queries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

34g in no. 10 'sufficient' for woodcock and snipe, why not just mount a punt gun to a tractor?! Is there much meat left on the lead when you have them plucked?
    ya loads of meat left.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

34g in no. 10 'sufficient' for woodcock and snipe, why not just mount a punt gun to a tractor?! Is there much meat left on the lead when you have them plucked?

ya sure there is more pellets and smaller and 1 r 2 in the right place bring them down, I normally use Remington 8's myself but I'm thinking of going using 34g 9's this yr bcos I have a 30" sporter with open cylinder and 3/4 for 2nd shot should give me a better spread as well.

allan450 wrote: »
    ace86.your spot on with you loads for woodcock.i use the same its great for woodcock and snipe.you must do a lot of woodcock shooting like myself.9 and 10 to look at the bird you wouldnt even know its hit
    ya more so Woodcock but if i see a snipe get up i like the challenge and try and get one:D,normally use Remington 8's but thinking of going using 9's this yr i will have a better spread and more lead so to speak.

@ acer86 I know what most people use, and I've been shooting woodcock for years using 32g 8 in my old gun, but my question was what's the lightest load anybody recommends or uses, as with my new gun the felt recoil is much greater than old gun, cheers though

ah no bother maybe easiest thing if u could borrow a few different cartridges off friends and fire them and see how they feel in relation to recoil instead of rushing out and buying cartridges and you not being happy with them. I think anything from 8 up in a small load shouldn't feel much recoil its just as you go down towards 6's, 5's etc it will probably be felt more.

Advertisement