Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping 2 Pigs

Options
  • 27-08-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

I understand that I need a Pig herd number if I want pigs, what are the chances of getting one if you live in a village?

I have just over a half acre and would like to keep 2 Pigs on half that. From reading other posts on the forum, I should have access to fresh water, good fencing and shelter, I have all 3. My two neighbours also have no problem with this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

SilverHaze wrote: »
    Hi

I understand that I need a Pig herd number if I want pigs, what are the chances of getting one if you live in a village?

I have just over a half acre and would like to keep 2 Pigs on half that. From reading other posts on the forum, I should have access to fresh water, good fencing and shelter, I have all 3. My two neighbours also have no problem with this.

Thanks.

I'd say you'd have a good chance...
    Sounds like you have everything sorted..

The only other questions to be ready for are What Vet will you use??.
    And I'd be inclined to ask what will you do with spent bedding? Compost heap would be the obvious answer..

Good luck.. we've been keeping them for a few years and they are great crack, with good meat afterwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SilverHaze

Thank you Brian

Just one more question, I saw in a shop today a product called Breedmore Supreme ML 16% protein, and there was no instructions on it. The bread of pig I will be getting are Kune Kune. If I get them at 6 weeks old and feed in the morning and evening, how much of this product should I add to water for each of them?

Thanks again.

SilverHaze wrote: »
    Thank you Brian

Just one more question, I saw in a shop today a product called Breedmore Supreme ML 16% protein, and there was no instructions on it. The bread of pig I will be getting are Kune Kune. If I get them at 6 weeks old and feed in the morning and evening, how much of this product should I add to water for each of them?

Thanks again.

No idea...
    Ours get "Pig & Weaner" pellets, plenty of household scraps, feeding spuds when old enough..

When on meal we feed 1kg/each/day for every month of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Amount of feed depends on whether you are keeping them as pets or for meat, pets will get overweight quite easy.

I just feed riled barley & wheat, with soya mixed to get protein to 16%, they are currently 2 months ,let & are getting an SMA tin full twice a day, with potatoes on he ground.

I am killing them at 7 months

A

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

_Brian wrote:
    Good luck.. we've been keeping them for a few years and they are great crack, with good meat afterwards..

How did you get set up for them? Was thinking of getting some to fill the freezer but I know nothing about them!

• Advertisement

TBH we've always kept cattle but got the pigs for te freezer like you we knew nothing about them.

Set up an area and got the local Verinary Officer to certify so we have a pig herd number, called a back yard number and the standards are easily met.

Advertisement