Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDR Panorama ??

• 26-08-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've tried this before and failed, 2nd attempt tomorrow.

Can i shoot my pano with 3 (canon) brackets per shot, merge each exposure into a complete pano then after all that merge the 3 panoramic shots with different exposures to a HDR panorama.

If you haven't got a clue what i'm talking about ,,, its ok i've no idea either ;P

The last time i ran into issues with alignment.

at the time i was using PS CS6. now i have PS CC.

Thanks.

Martin.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd be depending on the algorithm which does the merging to result in an identical stitch each time, which may not be as straightforward as you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Do the HDR processing first then merge the resulting files into the pano. Be sure to replicate the same tone mapping onto all the HDR sets or else you'll end up with differences in colours and/or brightness.

Try to avoid moving objects in the scene as ghosting can be a real pain in the ass.
    One method of dealing with ghosting is to make a second pano image using a single (matching) exposure from each of the sets of HDR's and then blending that new pano into your main pano to eliminate ghosts.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OldGoat wrote: »
    Do the HDR processing first then merge the resulting files into the pano. Be sure to replicate the same tone mapping onto all the HDR sets or else you'll end up with differences in colours and/or brightness.
    I would have thought it would be best to make the 3 panoramas first then make the HDR to avoid any differences in the way the HDR is applied?

I've never really had any issues with the way Photoshop merges pictures. You might want to make sure you're not compressing the images, raw comes off the camera in 16bit (I think) but usually gets compressed to 8bit as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would have thought it would be best to make the 3 panoramas first then make the HDR to avoid any differences in the way the HDR is applied?

You wouldn't be using raw files for the tonemapping part then though?

I haven't made one of them in a long time, but when I did I believed it went like this;

Camera on fully manual obviously, fire off your 3 exposures in each position as fast as possible (leaving maybe a 30% overlap), make your 3 HDR's in Photomatix (or whatever) using same settings, merge the 3 to panorama (via LR in my case) in PS, back to LR for alignment, cropping and other adjustments.

That what I used to do IIRC and almost always got "even" results with no obvious joins in the 3 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

you could also try making an ordinary pano & then using something like nik colour effects to bring out details, sharpen & adjust colours?
    sounds like a headache otherwise :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement