Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rushes and flaggers

Options
  • 25-08-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am looking at killing the dreaded rush and flagger. I know it is probably gone too late to kill the flagger. I am getting diffferent info from people on the right way to kill both. some people are telling me that it don't matter when you go at rushes if you use round up. What I'm thinking of doing and correct if I'm wrong as that why I'm asking.
    The flaggers and rushes are all the one field about 5 acres . I am proposing licking them an the next few weeks with round up. I have to lick them as I'm in AEOS2. Then maybe top the field in early spring and then lick it again in mid/late summer when there would growth on them with mcpa I think you call it to kill flaggers and any rushes left.
    In relation to the flaggers . Would you need to lightly roll them before licking to get a good spread on them. Also some say to use washing up liquid to make spray stick better.

Thanks in advance for help
    Gerry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

I'm digging out 0.5 acres of iris by hand. Once the rhizomes are dug out the iris will not grow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

that would be ok in a small acre but this is 5 acres completley covered. even still half an acre is a good bit of digging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

gerryirl wrote: »
    that would be ok in a small acre but this is 5 acres completley covered. even still half an acre is a good bit of digging
    It is hardship. It would not be possible in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Hi all

I am looking at killing the dreaded rush and flagger. I know it is probably gone too late to kill the flagger. I am getting diffferent info from people on the right way to kill both. some people are telling me that it don't matter when you go at rushes if you use round up. What I'm thinking of doing and correct if I'm wrong as that why I'm asking.
    The flaggers and rushes are all the one field about 5 acres . I am proposing licking them an the next few weeks with round up. I have to lick them as I'm in AEOS2. Then maybe top the field in early spring and then lick it again in mid/late summer when there would growth on them with mcpa I think you call it to kill flaggers and any rushes left.
    In relation to the flaggers . Would you need to lightly roll them before licking to get a good spread on them. Also some say to use washing up liquid to make spray stick better.

Thanks in advance for help
    Gerry

Hit them with round up last year at this time. Licked them and used washing up liquid to help roundnup to stick. Got a good kill on both at the time. Cleaned up the area very well. While the rushes have not come back the flaggers are back again. Was advised since that I should have at least rolled them first and if possible hit them with a chain harrow to tear them to help let the round up into the leaf. I didn't bother doing anything with them this year as it just didnt suit. Good luck with the flaggers. I have a feeling they could be hard to get rid of.

dh1985 wrote: »
    Hit them with round up last year at this time. Licked them and used washing up liquid to help roundnup to stick. Got a good kill on both at the time. Cleaned up the area very well. While the rushes have not come back the flaggers are back again. Was advised since that I should have at least rolled them first and if possible hit them with a chain harrow to tear them to help let the round up into the leaf. I didn't bother doing anything with them this year as it just didnt suit. Good luck with the flaggers. I have a feeling they could be hard to get rid of.

Thats great bit of info thanks for that.when did you top them after spraying. How long can you leave cattle off the land after the roundup. I have chain harrow I might run that on them next year before spraying. Did the roundup harm much of your grass. Did you put much washing up liquid in tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Thats great bit of info thanks for that.when did you top them after spraying. How long can you leave cattle off the land after the roundup. I have chain harrow I might run that on them next year before spraying. Did the roundup harm much of your grass. Did you put much washing up liquid in tank

Topped them about a month or so after licking them. They were we killed at that stage. Round up done no damage to the grass as it was well clipped by the cattle before licking them and they licker just touched the rush and flaggers. I think you can let cattle in after about two weeks but I am open to correctipon on that. As for the amount of washing up liquid I cant say for sure as it was the auld lad that was on the job that day. Probably a bottle I would have though but again cant say for sure

thats great man thanks alot for that.. some people were telling me not to go after the rushes till summer but one lad that does it for hire said he done loads with roundup in winter and it worked no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

the flagger is a balls to eradicate.. MCPA only sickens them in my opinion.. I got the D50 this year as my neighbour had great success with it and was going to spot spray the patches that I have with it.. anyone use it? rushes in field also would D50 kill rushes also if I sprayed entire field

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What are " flaggees" , is there another name for them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=137

Wild Iris known as buachalan around these parts. Sucessfully rid a patch I had last year with Roundup 360 I think then disced and power harrowed and reseeded ground and there gone. Did overseeding after using generic chemical Touchdown this year flaggers as green as ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Bodacious wrote: »
    the flagger is a balls to eradicate.. MCPA only sickens them in my opinion.. I got the D50 this year as my neighbour had great success with it and was going to spot spray the patches that I have with it.. anyone use it? rushes in field also would D50 kill rushes also if I sprayed entire field

Yes D50 is a great all rounder. Sprayed a field last year that had rushes ragwort thistles And fellastrums (flaggers). The field is completely clean bar a small few fellastrums. Hope to spray more ground next year.

What about round up on them.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What about round up on them.?

Round Up with licker and others with normal sprayer. The key with flaggers is to break their waxy coat. As mentioned chain harrow or rolling will do it. Expect to have to follow up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

rushvalley wrote: »
    Yes D50 is a great all rounder. Sprayed a field last year that had rushes ragwort thistles And fellastrums (flaggers). The field is completely clean bar a small few fellastrums. Hope to spray more ground next year.

You will have to change user name to Grassvalley so. Sorry - couldn't resist :)

Hi all , im trying to get a picture /photo of flaggers / felustrum but google isnt giving me squat,
    Could some post a pic so i know what they are , please. :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

cjmc wrote: »
    Hi all , im trying to get a picture /photo of flaggers / felustrum but google isnt giving me squat,
    Could some post a pic so i know what they are , please. :
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeaUEHcm3H4B9MPekCiokAxAfiOk8eUst33HT0dzzF-iFqujElEg

yellow flag iris

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeaUEHcm3H4B9MPekCiokAxAfiOk8eUst33HT0dzzF-iFqujElEg

yellow flag iris

Cheers, they dont seem famililar so it MAY betheone weed i dont have

can you use mcpa or d50 with a weed licker to kill flaggers and rushes witout harming the grass. I can't spray some of the land cause I have it in AEOS 2

can you use mcpa or d50 with a weed licker to kill flaggers and rushes witout harming the grass. I can't spray some of the land cause I have it in AEOS 2
    All those sprays do is the stunt the grass temporarily. If using a licker use glycophosphate e.g. roundup or gallup. Better job.

Regardless of what you do expect to repeat it next year and provably the year after. Underlying issue is drainage deficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Both are broad leaved weedkillers, so they only target non grass species but will kill off clover as well. However MCPA seems to do a job on rushes although you have to spray for 2 or 3 years to kill the feckers.
    JDI beat me to it :-))

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Both are broad leaved weedkillers, so they only target non grass species but will kill off clover as well. However MCPA seems to do a job on rushes although you have to spray for 2 or 3 years to kill the feckers.
    JDI beat me to it :-))

I can't spray though. Used some roundup on the licker on another field but I fear there is too muc grass in other field so don't want to use the roundup.. They'll not eat anymore of it either I think. Would the mcpa be ok with the licker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I can't spray though. Used some roundup on the licker on another field but I fear there is too muc grass in other field so don't want to use the roundup.. They'll not eat anymore of it either I think. Would the mcpa be ok with the licker

It'll work grand in the licker.

could you put the mcpa on this time of year.. lads on hire at it tell me they licked rushes in december with roundup and killed them

could you put the mcpa on this time of year.. lads on hire at it tell me they licked rushes in december with roundup and killed them

Once their growing it will work. They're still growing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Craggy Man

Hi Gerryirl, im curious to know if you had any luck killing the flaggers? Some people seemed to have luck with MCPA and others using D50. I also have a 5acre field full of them & rushes. Id like to know the best time of year to spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MasFer

I had about an acre of flaggers. I used ForeFront T. Flaggers\Yellow Iris is actually called out as a weed that it controls.

However I find them very hard to kill. I rolled them to try and crack the stems and also get a better coverage area for the spray. I also used a sticker too. Sprayed late April, early May when actively growing. I found it take a couple of years to get rid of them. I think I sprayed three years in a row. That's about two years ago no sign of them yet

However I see in another area which I reseeded about 6 years ago, there are a few starting to appear again. It seems to be very hard to completely get rid of them

For a large area not sure if ForeFront T is the best, its very expensive as a far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Craggy Man

I looked at the weeds that Forefront controlls on the information chart, it just has a "-" beside Flag Iris

Would have thought this meant it had no effect on them. But sounds like you had very good success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

There's a footnote to say it's limited or anecdotal information so the manufacturer is not guaranteeing it but just the same there must be some reports or evidence of it working well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement