Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing pigs

Options
  • 25-08-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am wondering does anyone have any experience of imporying pigs from Northern Ireland orthe UK.
    We are intrested in getting a purebred rare breed for breeding but have been informed that it is too expensive and not worth it.
    Any information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Aghoney

We bought two Berkshire gilts in Northern Ireland a few months ago. Other than £50 for a certificate issued by the local vet, there was no additional cost. It was just as easy as getting piglets locally. Before we did, we called on the DVO to ask for information, and there was no issue with transporting them or registering them.

What are you thinking of getting? Do you have a pig herd number?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rj2010

We are thinking of getting a large black pig.
    i was talking to someone in the agri dept and they made it sound impossible but you expierence is positive.
    Yes we have a herd number

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rj2010

We are thinking of getting a large black pig.
    i was talking to someone in the agri dept and they made it sound impossible but you expierence is positive.
    Yes we have a herd number

Advertisement