Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil for a deep fat fryer

Options
  • 25-08-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Can someone tell me what is the best oil for deep frying? A friend has asked me to cook and sell chicken wings from her pub as she is not monetising the kitchen and wings would be the perfect snack at weekends while people are in the bar to watch the footy on the box.

Ideally looking for something that is good value/economical, healthy(I know deep frying is not healthy but what is the healthiest oil for deep frying).

Now before anyone suggests other ways of cooking let me say that this is not possible as baking/grilling is far too time consuming for this idea

I really just need to know what is the healthiest oil for deep frying that won't cost a fortune!! I have considered coconut oil as I use it myself but it would cost a small fortune to fill a couple of fryers!

Thanks in advance,

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No oil will be healthy for deep frying with tbh. Even coconut oil imo.
    Why is healthy a goal anyway? It's chicken wings, served in a pub, healthy is not an expectation you need to meet.

Just avoid hydrogenated oils or anything that not suitable for deep frying (like olive oil). Rice bran and canola have high smoke points. Solid vegetable oil (non-hydro kind) has pretty good life in a deep fryer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Mellor wrote: »
    No oil will be healthy for deep frying with tbh. Even coconut oil imo.
    Why is healthy a goal anyway? It's chicken wings, served in a pub, healthy is not an expectation you need to meet.

Just avoid hydrogenated oils or anything that not suitable for deep frying (like olive oil). Rice bran and canola have high smoke points. Solid vegetable oil (non-hydro kind) has pretty good life in a deep fryer too.

Having a healthy goal is more of a USP similar to saying the wings are organic or free range etc. I am based in London and a lot of people want the perception of eating healthy even if they ain't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Do commercial sized air fryers exist?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Do commercial sized air fryers exist?

Already have fryers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Air fryers? I have one and it uses about a teaspoon of oil per use and the food comes out perfect and crispy.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Air fryers? I have one and it uses about a teaspoon of oil per use and the food comes out perfect and crispy.

They are not suitable for a the volume I will be frying!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is baking an option? Baked wings with hot sauce taste awesome. Natural yoghurt with chives makes a lovely healthy dip too.

Mellor is right, deep-frying = unhealthy. Any oil is damaged at the temps it takes to deep-fry and I'm sure you're not planning on using the oil once and chucking it as that would be really expensive, so the damage increases each time you heat and cool the oil, creating more and more lipid peroxides.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

frag420 wrote: »
    Having a healthy goal is more of a USP similar to saying the wings are organic or free range etc. I am based in London and a lot of people want the perception of eating healthy even if they ain't!
    But there's no way to consider them "healthy" just by using good quality oil. Even considering how subjective the word is. I don't even think baked wings are going to be hugely different if you are going to use, say, buffalo sauce.

If they aren't breaded, and depending on sauce, you have the option of low-carb wings as a USP.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Only thing I could find is that peanut oil is supposed to be a cheap and healthier option. It apparently has a neutral taste also. It's also worth noting that apparently it's safe for people with peanut allergies because it is processed under a high temperature which removes the protein. They do mention that certain types of peanut oil ARE NOT safe for people with peanut allergies.

Got that information from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/peanut-oil-for-deep-frying-foods-carnivals-fairs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Baked with a dry rub is about as good as it gets and you have the low-carb USP.

Offer sauces separately and let the customer decide how 'healthy' they want the wings to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement