Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 EUR Free For Students Who Open KBC Free Current Account

Options
  • 24-08-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭

KBC are giving 100 EUR to students who switch / open a current account with KBC.

KBC charge maintenance fees, and other fees, for regular current accounts. However, these fees do not apply for students.

A little bit of work will get you 100 EUR.

Conditions:
    1. The offer of free banking is available to full time third level students aged 17 years or over attending an Irish third level institution

2. In addition if a student opens a KBC current account between the 18th of August and the 31st of October 2014 and conducts 10 debit card transactions by the 31st of December 2014 they will be eligible for €100 cash as follows:-
    The first €50 will be lodged into your KBC current account within 10 working days of the account being opened
    The second €50 will be lodged into your KBC current account by 31 January 2015

3. A debit card transaction is defined as any ATM, Chip & PIN, contactless or online transaction conducted using your KBC debit card

KBC student offering:
    Free Point of Sale Transactions. You do not pay any fees when you use your card in store, online and over the phone.

Non Euro ATM & POS Transactions. When you use your debit card in a non-euro currency, the transaction charges listed below will apply. MasterCard foreign exchange (“FX”) rates will also apply for any transactions carried out on your debit card. These rates are subject to change, but can be found on www.mastercard.com. Cash Withdrawal Fee 3.50% of transaction value (min €3.17, max €11.43). POS Transaction 1.75% of transaction value (min €0.46, max €11.43).

In fact, we’ll also pay your ATM, Quarterly and Cheque processing fees.

Free point of sale/debit card transactions
    Free online banking
    Free mobile banking
    Free ATM transactions
    Free contactless transactions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

I suppose all the other banks will jump on the bandwagon and offer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Got this at christmas time with KBC, got the vouchers no problem - just to note that you cannot lodge cash at their branch it has to be transferred or a cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Kevin! wrote: »
    Got this at christmas time with KBC, got the vouchers no problem - just to note that you cannot lodge cash at their branch it has to be transferred or a cheque

Basiclly even though they do a decent current account, you still need an account with another bank to deposit cash etc. I have just closed my KBC account as it was too much hassle. Also if you use an ATM theres a big fee when your account is no longer a student account. I got this offer myself with the vouchers last year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Sounds great to me! Opened one just there, still keeping my pay going to my AIB account of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

The way I read it is you get 50 euro after 10 days and then you have to do 10 transactions to get the last 50.

So, buy 10 one cent humble bundles and then wait til jan 1st and transfer 99.90 to my regular account and then close the KBC account!

Good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

What do you need to open the account? I have a student card with no expiry date!

Edit: found it and applied

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Shame this is only for third Level.

I'm in second level and current get all my fees paid by AIB which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I've just finished my final year. However, my student card expires on 30/09/2014.

Anyone know if I'd still be eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I've just finished my final year. However, my student card expires on 30/09/2014.

The T&C's only state: "The offer of free banking is available to full time third level students aged 17 years or over attending an Irish third level institution."

You could always chance your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

JTMan wrote: »
    The T&C's only state: "The offer of free banking is available to full time third level students aged 17 years or over attending an Irish third level institution."

You could always chance your arm.

Planning on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

yay free money thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

I'm in the same boat and I be a bit wary, says account fees come in when no longer a student and if they will see you are not one after that date..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Kevin! wrote: »

This can be an awful pain though if you're a student. Having to wait 1 working day for a bank transfer (if your parents/guardian is with another bank) is annoying.

Still €100 isn't something to be laughed at. I'll sign up and let you guys know how I get on.

Most likely they will ask when you are finishing college, they must have some way of knowing. Student travel cards expire at the end of the year (I know that's a different ID)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Am I understanding this right, if a person opens an account and closes it after 2 weeks they would still get 50 euro?

What's required to close an account with them?

Am I understanding this right, if a person opens an account and closes it after 2 weeks they would still get 50 euro?

What's required to close an account with them?

You have to be a student. You may as well leave it open for the year because there are no fees if you're a student anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is this a new thing has anybody done it before surely can't be as simple as close in January after getting €100 for free. Surely their is something in the terms and conditions stopping you from closing it after a few months.

You get €100 free and no bank charge and can close it down anytime you want. How exactly do they benefit?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Is this a new thing has anybody done it before surely can't be as simple as close in January after getting €100 for free. Surely their is something in the terms and conditions stopping you from closing it after a few months.

You get €100 free and no bank charge and can close it down anytime you want. How exactly do they benefit?

KBC figure that is they get X% of customers to stay for life it is worth it. They would be well aware that a certain percentage will just take the offer and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

JTMan wrote: »
    KBC figure that is they get X% of customers to stay for life it is worth it. They would be well aware that a certain percentage will just take the offer and run.

So you can basically sign up do 10 transactions and still keep using your other bank account?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    So you can basically sign up do 10 transactions and still keep using your other bank account?

Yes, provided you adhere to the T&C's of the offer which require ...
    Use your debit card for at least 10 transactions before the 31st of December and we'll lodge another €50 in to your account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I just opened an account with AIB! Will this make any difference? Will I still be able to open a KBC account, claim the 100 and close it? I'm new to banking as you can see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

The way I read it is you get 50 euro after 10 days and then you have to do 10 transactions to get the last 50.

So, buy 10 one cent humble bundles and then wait til jan 1st and transfer 99.90 to my regular account and then close the KBC account!

Good deal.

whats a humble bundle?? I'm not a student but my son is and interested in opening an account for him.

tantipie wrote: »
    whats a humble bundle?? I'm not a student but my son is and interested in opening an account for him.

http://humblebundle.com you can pay whatever you want for whatever bundles are running.

So just buy 10 of them for 1c each and it should satisfy the 10 transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 American Horror Story

If you already have one account and you open this - is there not a duty on debit cards of 30.00 a year or something ?

If you already have one account and you open this - is there not a duty on debit cards of 30.00 a year or something ?

The stamp duty owed on debit cards is €2.50 if used in an atm and €2.50 if used in a purchase so in this case if you don't use it in an atm and just do your 10 transactions then you will owe 2.50.

Good point though. I forgot about the stamp duty.

30 euro duty is on credit cards.

Edit: This seems to suggest that no duty will be owed if the account is closed before the 31st of december however that won't work in this case as the second €50 won't be in the account until after it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, if you're sticking around for the second €50, you'll owe €2.50 or €5 in stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

Just back had a free coffee and a brownie while waiting in there!!! Asked about a current account fir me €2 a month and no. Other charges unless you go to pass machine which is 30c

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

It is a great deal if you have a few years left at college and have some spare cash (I know most of us don't), their regular savings account offers an attractive 3.5%. This is 1.5% above the industry standard currently. You can save from €100 to €1000 a month. Handy if you are saving for a J1/ the summer in general.

Their staff are so friendly over the phone as well. You get a call the day after you apply to make sure you have no questions, sent the correct documents etc.

I'm currently with BOI and Rabodirect, I'll definitely be closing my Rabo account in favour of KBC. The €100 and a debit card sold it to me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is there a map to find your nearest brach?

Don't think there's any in Carlow at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Is there a map to find your nearest brach?

Don't think there's any in Carlow at all.

Hi Alan,

http://www.kbc.ie/kbclocations

However you can apply online and use most services online. You cannot lodge cash in a branch only cheques. The idea is you use an existing current account to transfer money across

Advertisement