Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barao vs Dillashaw 2 a joke?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 3:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Dillashaw absoutlely dominated and then the icing on the cake a clean ko, i dont understand why they re giving him a instant rematch i know he was on a good streak but still when you get your ass handed too u like that it should be tough luck!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

evo2000 wrote: »
    Dillashaw absoutlely dominated and then the icing on the cake a clean ko, i dont understand why they re giving him a instant rematch i know he was on a good streak but still when you get your ass handed too u like that it should be tough luck!

Thoughts?

33 straight fights without a loss over a 9 year period is more than just a good streak...with a record like that hes more than justified in getting a rematch imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Axwell wrote: »
    33 straight fights without a loss over a 9 year period is more than just a good streak...with a record like that hes more than justified in getting a rematch imo.

Yeah but he was utterly destroyed for 5 rounds not just beaten destroyed, without any doubt cant be using 9 years as a crutch, i reckon dillashaw will handle him easy again, its a lose lose for dillashaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Agree that Barao's performance doesn't merit a rematch but that division doesn't seem to have a lot happening in it. There's no real other good contenders. It'll be a decent fight I think, Barao will come back strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Agree that Barao's performance doesn't merit a rematch but that division doesn't seem to have a lot happening in it. There's no real other good contenders.

Disagree. There are plenty viable contenders if Dillashaw remains champ. New champion opens up all new possibilities for title match ups. To my mind there are so many possible eliminator scenarios in the top 5 that it would make the division VERY interesting again particularly as out of the top 3 contenders, one is a team mate of the champion and another has beaten him previously. Of course if Barao reclaims the belt, we're right back where we started.
    It'll be a decent fight I think, Barao will come back strong.

Agree strongly with you here. Can't believe how many people are writing off Barao because of one bad night at the office. The man didn't get to be considered one of P4P best in the world for nothing. He's coming back strong, you are absolutely correct. Dillashaw though certainly will not underestimate him I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Jeeeez Baroa had ONE bad fight and people saying he doesnt deserve a re-match :confused: ... Of course he does, and it gives TJ a chance to cement it wasnt a fluke,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Performance didn't merit a rematch, but, he was a good champion with a huge win streak. It's the fight that will draw the most interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

Thoughts?

He also had a tough weight cut going into that fight, I know its your own fault if your not on weight, and not taking anything away from Dillashaw, he was absaloutly quality and I enjoyed the fight, I do think Barao will give a better performance this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

He probably will but he should have had to fight his way back. Assuncao and cruz and faber are other stand outs that could fight for the belt, its not like there were no other options.

Does dillashaw get a rematch if he loses a split decesion or something? thats why i hate these situations, frankie edgar symdrome i call it where you re stuck in a loop of rematches!

Outside of a close controversial fight i dont think there should be rematches to be honest, it will be a good fight there both top fighters its never gonna be bad but its annoying and holds up the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

An intriguing rematch. Despite his performance Barao deserves a rematch.

Would Dillashaw Assunção 2 be as big a draw for TJ's first title defence?

• Advertisement

An intriguing rematch. Despite his performance Barao deserves a rematch.

Would Dillashaw Assunção 2 be as big a draw for TJ's first title defence?

No it wouldn't but the point is it would be more deserved.

adamski8 wrote: »
    No it wouldn't but the point is it would be more deserved.

Do you not think someone that has dominated for so long deserves an immediate re match?

Do you not think someone that has dominated for so long deserves an immediate re match?

Nope, they were just beaten and secondly if they are so good then let them have at least 1 non title fight and then get a shot.

The only straight rematch should be if its considered a points robbery or a tight split decision, even then it shouldn't be mandatory.

The guy got his ass kicked and finished. Make him have at least 1 more fight and then the rematch down the line means so much more.

Also he never beat the true champ dominic cruz ;p

Nope, they were just beaten and secondly if they are so good then let them have at least 1 non title fight and then get a shot.

The only straight rematch should be if its considered a points robbery or a tight split decision, even then it shouldn't be mandatory.

The guy got his ass kicked and finished. Make him have at least 1 more fight and then the rematch down the line means so much more.

So do you think Anderson Silva deserved a re match with Weidmann str8 away?

You could even make an argument if it he got caught out of the blue with a shot and ko d for a remtach since he dominated so long, but that crutch goes out the window when you re annihilated for 5 rounds then ko d brutally

Silva wasnt utterly dominated for 5 rounds then ko d he got caught acting the clown, plus the money in a rematch would be mental for the ufc

No comparison really.

Silva wasnt utterly dominated for 5 rounds then ko d he got caught acting the clown, plus the money in a rematch would be mental for the ufc

No comparison really.

True I suppose, but we all know what Barao is capable of and I seen it been a better fight for him next weekend.

True I suppose, but we all know what Barao is capable of and I seen it been a better fight for him next weekend.

Oh no doubt he s a good fighter, id just rather they make him fight a title eliminator, maybe him vs cruz (altho that d prob be throwing cruz to the lions) then give him a rematch or something keep the division moving some what.

I think we can all agree that the frankie "The Rematch" edgar effect is never a good thing for a division lol

Oh no doubt he s a good fighter, id just rather they make him fight a title eliminator, maybe him vs cruz (altho that d prob be throwing cruz to the lions) then give him a rematch or something keep the division moving some what.

I think we can all agree that the frankie "The Rematch" edgar effect is never a good thing for a division lol

I know what yer saying, just champs that have been dominating for so long I think desereve a rematch straight away. Say if Weidmann or Johnny Hendricks where to lose their next fights, I think they should be put in the position you say , Velasquez, Jones, Anderson, Demitrious, Aldo are all worth there salt, and I think Barao falls into there category

• Advertisement

I know what yer saying, just champs that have been dominating for so long I think desereve a rematch straight away. Say if Weidmann or Johnny Hendricks where to lose their next fights, I think they should be put in the position you say , Velasquez, Jones, Anderson, Demitrious, Aldo are all worth there salt, and I think Barao falls into there category

I agree with what your saying about the category of jones and aldo, so long as they were beaten in a close competitive fight,

I agree with what your saying about the category of jones and aldo, so long as they were beaten in a close competitive fight,

Yea , he did get the bashed around, I don't think he took the fight as serious as he should, he struggled to make weight for that fight and had a huge cut as well, that's why I think he performed like that, and TJ came in to the fight in unbelievable shape. do you think TJ beats him as convincingly as last time?

Silva was a special case. He had been ufc champ for ages and the way he lost left a lot of questions. Baroa hasnt been the champ for long (interim for most).

The question that should be asked more than if barao should be getting the shot is why isnt cruz getting the shot at TJ????

Cruz was away far too long to be even an outside consideration for a title shot.

If he gets past Mizugaki, which he should in fairness then he is right up there again, although personally I would have preferred to see him come back against McDonald, thus giving him an even more credible claim to a title shot if he won.

One way or another, there is going to be a LOT of activity at the top end of the BW division over the next 12/18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I don't understand all the "Barao is coming back strong" talk, it was banged on about last night everytime they talked about the fight but how can anyone say hes coming back strong when he has not fought since?

I was very surprised by the last fight, never in million years expected a fight like that. I hope next week its a cracker

Yea , he did get the bashed around, I don't think he took the fight as serious as he should, he struggled to make weight for that fight and had a huge cut as well, that's why I think he performed like that, and TJ came in to the fight in unbelievable shape. do you think TJ beats him as convincingly as last time?

Thats his own fault then to be fair, i reckon tj will beat him soundly prob wont ko him again tho, but his the better stiker and far more athletic better cardio to boot, his the style to beat him aswell.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Cruz was away far too long to be even an outside consideration for a title shot.

If he gets past Mizugaki, which he should in fairness then he is right up there again, although personally I would have preferred to see him come back against McDonald, thus giving him an even more credible claim to a title shot if he won.

One way or another, there is going to be a LOT of activity at the top end of the BW division over the next 12/18 months.

He was the official champ only 7 months ago. I don't see why its so outlandish.

Crazy that its thought that the champ who wasn't beaten is thought to need fights to get a shot but someone who was throughly beaten is thought by some to deserve an instant rematch.

Id say if gsp came back in a years time no one would have a problem with an instant title fight, dont see how its any different for cruz, only peoples perception that his body may not be up to it.

He was the official champ only 7 months ago. I don't see why its so outlandish.

Crazy that its thought that the champ who wasn't beaten is thought to need fights to get a shot but someone who was throughly beaten is thought by some to deserve an instant rematch.

Id say if gsp came back in a years time no one would have a problem with an instant title fight, dont see how its any different for cruz, only peoples perception that his body may not be up to it.

Gsp wont be back, his on the tail end of his career and with 2 knee surgery's and a lenghty lay off id bet the house we ll never see gsp in the cage again

Gsp wont be back, his on the tail end of his career and with 2 knee surgery's and a lenghty lay off id bet the house we ll never see gsp in the cage again

Not my point, if ever he does come back it would be automatic title shot

• Advertisement

Not my point, if ever he does come back it would be automatic title shot

It's all relative to time away. No former champion coming back from a near THREE YEAR lay off (ie: Cruz) would get an automatic title shot. Not a hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement