Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it fair that our children are charged so much for getting the bus?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Victor wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/Other-Tickets/There is a ticket that allows you to use every CIÉ service for a year that costs €5,870 to buy - www.taxsaver.ie cuts this cost in half for staff.

I'll give you that there are some ok fares where some saving can be made if its possible to match your needs with the service using the leapcard.

Not sure about the rambler ticket, looks like thats more a family outing ticket, than a children and family that all commute on different buses at different times ticket it seems.

Didnt know that was the cost for an all service for a person, some employers arent great at following up on things like that or have no interest at all for whatever reason.

I still think the limited radial plan un integrated bus routes/other modes of transport in dublin, opposed to the ability to move around the circumference at one or a few points, integrated with other modes including cars and park and rides at the periphery, instead of the entire get people out of their cars mentality.
    If anyone had any foresight, the M50 or under it could have had an underground and it still could, with stops itegrated with buses going radially moving from park and rides on the periphery and flat standard and cheap fares, everyone would be leaving their cars behind. In the absence of an expensive M50 underground or even a cheaper elevated rail, large buses (maybe there was a use for those big bendy buses they bought (wasted money on) to negotiate tiny corners in Dublin city, they could run up and down the M50 to stations that are connected to/on other radial routes.

Its as much the reliability and suitability of the Dublin bus service, but the cost doesnt make sense when you dont have the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭chasm

Just telling you all what I see daily that is all.

I already know what pass is what and all that I didn't want to go into too muchh detail as certain people get upset and this seems to have happened already.

I does depend on income in the family and also family circumstances as lets say your in care they travel for free and I didn't bring this up as I am not having a go or attacking this.

I am for the whole system changing and stop the fraud as we are all been laughed at.

Just because some of you see some Roma gypsies paying like 1 said and like the rest of us you said more often then not they don't pay the fare to where they are going and always pay with a hand full of coppers to a lower value to what they say.

The red pass use to be for mental illnes which was then just given out to all as the colours were withdrawn.

Drug addicts and recovering addicts all have passes only maybe a few have not applied.

I am just telling what I see and if you want the whole correct wording of everything look up social welfare or citizens info for which I do know.

Please don't have a go at me as I am not having a go at any of you.
    Thanks

The colour of the travel pass was never an indicator of the reason for the pass being issued. The red pass was an unrestricted pass for persons under 66, A Yellow pass was a restricted companion pass for persons under 66. (There were 6 different travel pass colours altogether)
    In Sligo, the town bus fare for an adult is €1.70, a child (over the age of 3) is €1.15. That's 67% of the adult fare, not 75%, but close.

A special needs child that's 15 years old, has to pay the full child fare, while a 16 year old with special needs on Disability Allowance gets free travel.

The Parent of the 15 year old with special needs would probably qualify for DCA and carers allowance and then qualify for a travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

chasm wrote: »
    The colour of the travel pass was never an indicator of the reason for the pass being issued. The red pass was an unrestricted pass for persons under 66, A Yellow pass was a restricted companion pass for persons under 66. (There were 6 different travel pass colours altogether)

The Parent of the 15 year old with special needs would probably qualify for DCA and carers allowance and then qualify for a travel pass.

Just telling how it was.

This was insider knowledge .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭chasm

Just telling how it was.

This was insider knowledge .....

Insider knowledge of what exactly? The DoSP issued different colours to suit different age/travel restrictions, there was no big secret code behind them. The only way that that was "how it was" would have been if those people inspecting the passes of passengers labelled the passengers themselves.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/SWI---Free-Schemes.aspx

2.5 Description of Travel Pass in Use.
    Description of Travel Pass Colour Types

Colour Applicable To

Red Unrestricted pass for persons under 66.

Blue Restricted pass for persons over 66.

Blue with Green stripe Restricted companion pass for persons over 66.

Red with Green stripe Unrestricted companion pass for persons under 66.

Yellow Restricted companion pass for persons under 66.

Yellow with Green Stripe Restricted companion pass for persons under 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The red pass use to be for mental illnes which was then just given out to all as the colours were withdrawn.

So who do they go to now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I actually think it's really cool all the distinct groups in this thread are getting free travel. They deserve it. Unfortunately a lot of those actual groups mentioned here don't get free travel, which is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SligoQueries

They would qualify for DCA, €309.50 per month, but Carer's Allowance is means tested, so that's not guaranteed, the CA payment or the free travel. Even so, the free travel would be for just the (one) parent, not the child. The 16 year old would get free travel, plus €188 weekly in his own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Free Travel scheme costs the DSP 75m.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Social-Stats-AR-2013-SectionG.pdf

782,000 free travel passes.

450,000-500,000 of these are pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Look the busses and traffic in general will be back to a crawl once the little darlings go back to school, its less of the superannuated wee pr**ks on the road that we need not more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Insider knowledge of what exactly? The DoSP issued different colours to suit different age/travel restrictions, there was no big secret code behind them. The only way that that was "how it was" would have been if those people inspecting the passes of passengers labelled the passengers themselves.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/SWI---Free-Schemes.aspx

Perhaps to clarify the historical situation somewhat,and to prevent the underrcurrent of "labelling" from developing further,it may be worthwhile to quote further from the then Dept of Social Welfare guidelines.....
    Unrestricted Free Travel Pass

This travel pass is subject to the conditions but none of the restrictions.

It is only available to

A person, who is certified by the Health Board as being severely mentally handicapped. This person would have no real appreciation of the restrictions applicable with an Ordinary Travel Pass.

A person, either on Disability Allowance or Blind Person's Pension, who attends a long term rehabilitation course, recognised by the relevant Health Board. The course must be full time and must last a minimum of three months. The applicant must submit a letter from either Re-Hab or the relevant Health Board confirming his attendance and details regarding duration etc. of the course.

A person in receipt of Invalidity Pension who has received an exemption from rule 4 of the Invalidity Pension rules. This rule states that a claimant " shall not engage in work whether on his own account or on behalf of another person". This means that these people, have obtained an exemption, allowing them to take on work experience, in areas recognised by Invalidity pensions section, while still retaining their Invalidity pension.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Privatise Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Geuze wrote: »
    Free Travel scheme costs the DSP 75m.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Social-Stats-AR-2013-SectionG.pdf
    782,000 free travel passes.

450,000-500,000 of these are pensioners.

The total number for those of State Pension age is 379,000.

I only refer to this,as it is often necessary to contradict the Media definition of the Free Travel Scheme as the Old Age Pensioners Free Travel Scheme.

It is often forgotten and ignored that the Free Travel Scheme as concieved and implimented in 1967 was specifically targetted at what was then becoming a hugely isolated and vulnerable group.

http://eparl.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/searching-for-free-travel-scheme/
    Mr Haughey : A scheme is also being worked out in consultation with CIE whereby old age and blind pensioners will be able to travel free of charge on CIE buses and trains during periods when traffic is not heavy.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    No children until they reach 18 are the responsibility of their parents. If they are disabled, unemployed etc after that then the taxpayer helps them out - I'm ok with that.

Ignore my comment re Roma that was someone else. Apologies.

If you use your logic, an adult who pays the fair subsidies your child, is that fair - they take up the same space & travel at peak times... Reducing fares would be saving the parents money not children who don't have money anyways.

It isn't my logic though. It is the logic of every service provider the word over. Ryanair charge less for a child's ticket, GPs charge less for seeing a child, admission to Disneyland is cheaper for a child, children's GAA match tickets are cheaper ect. ect. ect.

Adults who pay a full fare are not subsidising the child‘s cheaper ticket, adults pay more than children for every service that's provided, this is just the way the world is.

However, the adults and children who actually do pay for their bus ticket are literally subsidising all the people who pay absolutely nothing to travel (unlimited) the same routes.

Would Bus Eireann have had to raise their ticket prices again this year if they weren't carrying such a vast number of passengers who use the service for free? The answer is of course not.

It would be morally fairer for children to pay the same as wealthy OAP's and adults in receipt of at least €188 per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

But the people travelling on Bus Eireann or any other public (and some private) services are not letting them travel for free. DSP pay for the journeys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It isn't my logic though. It is the logic of every service provider the word over. Ryanair charge less for a child's ticket,

Since when? I've never paid less for a child travelling on Ryanair and have paid more than for myself on a couple of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    But the people travelling on Bus Eireann or any other public (and some private) services are not letting them travel for free. DSP pay for the journeys.

I don't buy that sorry. Not when Bus Eireann is paying Irish Rail money to stay afloat, not when they are meant to pay dividends to government, not when the government is giving money to Irish rail. The waters are too muddied in the to and fro of the money flow for it to be clear who gains or losses overall.

It's not as simple as, the government covers all of the free travel cost.

Advertisement