Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young driver insurance

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Oh agreed but arbitrarily saying that cars of a certain category should be restricted based on age and not on experience (which Ncb and years a full licence is held do) isn't going to work either.
    There's very few who'd take out a policy in their own name at 17/18 and only use the car once a week for driving lessons.

Youre probably right. I agree on age; it means nothing really in terms of experience (except that perhaps an older driver has a bit more common sense than a teenager!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

djimi wrote: »
    ...but something like that would be a good benchmark; you can only drive up to say group 5 on a learners permit, up to group 10 while on a N plate, and then on an increasing scale based on experience built up (Im only using those groups as an example...

Let's be brutally honest: the simple fact somebody that has no driving license (the learner's permit is not a driving license, they even changed the name to better drive the point home) can buy a car and get insurance on it is simply insane. Learners should be restricted to practicing on a driving school's car (with dual controls) or on a relative's car, which would also clear the "unaccompanied learner drivers" issue out (no parent/uncle/whatever would let a learner driver out alone in the car they need to go to work in the morning).

I completely agree with the power/car category limitation; In some EU countries, it has been in place for decades (when I got my license, in 1999, my dad's Alfa was off-limits for three years - young drivers couldn't be in control of anything with more than 50 HP/tonne).

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    (no parent/uncle/whatever would let a learner driver out alone in the car they need to go to work in the morning).

Countless people I know, including myself and other siblings drove parents cars unaccompanied when learning so don't think the above comment would hold in many situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Nobody on a learners permit can currently drive unaccompanied. The fact that the law is not enforced, makes it a poor piece of legislation. People need to start being put off the road for offending.

(blah, blah no public transport, kids to schools, need it for work to pay my mortgage, I'm a brilliant driver, old dears on the road, blah, blah)

Advertisement