Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating a yes, financial options

Options
  • 22-08-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

in 2012/13 i started out on a 4 year BSc(Hons) in Computer Science. I failed a few modules in the second semester due to various personal family matters. i did not go back to repeat the following year and took a year out to try and get some work. I now want to go back and make another attempt at things but its the financial side of things that might hold me back.

i applied back to college and was accepted, but they are looking for fees paid up front, its money i simply do not have.

would there be any options available to me? I know i dont qualify for the student grant as i am a repeat student, but does anyone know of anything else available ? - not sure if student loans is an option, as they would be looking at credit rating and income etc.?

thanks

** TITLE IS SUPPOSED TO READ " Repeating a year, financial options " - NOTE TO SELF ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE HITTING POST **

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Strstu

Is it the same college as you started out in in 2012/13?
    and if so are the modules the same?
    if so it might be a long shot but you could try and see if they still have you on record and if you could just repeat the modules you failed that way you could avoid some fees progress to the next stage while using the rest of the time to go through your notes on the other topics etc

I know someone who repeated first year this year gone in UCD in this matter and only had to pay half the student levy(single semester) + x per module.
    Dunno if this is any help but hope it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Strstu wrote: »
    Is it the same college as you started out in in 2012/13?
    and if so are the modules the same?
    if so it might be a long shot but you could try and see if they still have you on record and if you could just repeat the modules you failed that way you could avoid some fees progress to the next stage while using the rest of the time to go through your notes on the other topics etc

I know someone who repeated first year this year gone in UCD in this matter and only had to pay half the student levy(single semester) + x per module.
    Dunno if this is any help but hope it does help.

Yep, same college, same modules. Already asked re just going back to repeat registered under the same student info etc. and it was a no go, they practically laughed at me. I need to be re-registered as a full time student for this academic year so i have to pay 60e per ECTS credit, there are 5 credits per module and i am repeating 7 of them. 2100 plus an admin charge of 300euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Unfortunately, I think you're basically screwed. They won't budge, they don't really care if you come back or not, and they won't take your financial situation into account -to them you're just a number.

You could look into getting a loan, although banks generally 99% of the time won't give loans to repeat students as the risk is too high. Credit Union loans might be another option, or is it possible you could borrow off someone you know personally? Because, when it comes to financial problems, most colleges don't care.

Was it first year you failed? And were you originally eligible for a student grant? If so, you'll be able to receive it again once you pass first year and get into second.

Every college has a Student Assistance Fund and they can be generous enough, as a repeat student who has little income, and is racking up large bus expenses etc.. you might get 800-1200 euro off them. But unfortunately you can't use that to pay for academic fees.

TL;DR: You'll have to find a way to come up with the fees, there's very little options for repeat students. Whatever the circumstances, they'll simply say, you messed it up the first time, we're not going to pay for you to do something you threw away the first time. That may sound harsh, and it is, but that's the stance a college will take, trust me, I know.

Advertisement