Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF 300 gearbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

sandydan wrote: »
    thought the solution to that was 18 speed box,dont know where you buy

Lads fit the 16 speed version, but it still has to have the autotronic "brain" to run the solenoids. Or not, depending on wether I can get the fecker to function..it might be getting switches. Tractor is a mates and is an immobile windbreak as is.

The mainshaft locknut also cacks itself loose and needs welding, but the selector forks also break... me pasonally, I reckon they are a ball of shyte...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Lads fit the 16 speed version, but it still has to have the autotronic "brain" to run the solenoids. Or not, depending on wether I can get the fecker to function..it might be getting switches. Tractor is a mates and is an immobile windbreak as is.

The mainshaft locknut also cacks itself loose and needs welding, but the selector forks also break... me pasonally, I reckon they are a ball of shyte...

Ball of shyte yes.....
    Check / replace earth leads before delving in too deep cab braided strap may be an issue. I belive solinoids can give trouble but are all the same so you can swap gearbox solinoids with some of the less critical ones for testing purposes.

Of coarse you can temporarily tie solinoides on or off just to see if gears will engage without pulling the whole system apart.

Oil pressure may also be an issue. Dose anything happpen when tractor is left running for 10 or 15 min?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

emaherx wrote: »
    Ball of shyte yes.....
    Check / replace earth leads before delving in too deep cab braided strap may be an issue. I belive solinoids can give trouble but are all the same so you can swap gearbox solinoids with some of the less critical ones for testing purposes.

Of coarse you can temporarily tie solinoides on or off just to see if gears will engage without pulling the whole system apart.

Oil pressure may also be an issue. Dose anything happpen when tractor is left running for 10 or 15 min?

Nope - range selector will not select either high or low..btw, for the giggles, the owner has a €4900 reciept from a dealer for "repairs to gearbox and wiring"...it took me 20 minutes to get the rh step off, and I was the first to ever do so - factory paint on all the bolt heads...if you know what I mean...and 11 joiners in the wire back from one solenoid...yup, 11. Blue crimped ones...tricky sorting an autotronic with the rh step on.....seeing as the fcuker lives up above that. The earth was also in rag order and only hand tight, but I sorted that, no dice..wiggling the black multiplug on the autron box turns the lights on the range selector on and off..and the range selector rod was flapping loose from the toggle bracket going to the gear lever...ahem...€4900 well spent no doubt.

I'll tow it to my shed and fix the fecker, it is currently in a foot of muck which made working on it dull...and it was lashing rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Blue connectors...... FFS.

The inventor of them should be arrested and trialed for crimes committed. There must be some law broken here!

5 grand????? Cowboys Ted! The tractor is not worth that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

i cant help with anything 3080, but saw one in MF dealers yard with different box fitted, anyways salesman guaranteed it would be troublefree as opposed to original gearbox but i didnt purchase, recon it sold for around €7,500.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Blue connectors...... FFS.

The inventor of them should be arrested and trialed for crimes committed. There must be some law broken here!

5 grand????? Cowboys Ted! The tractor is not worth that!
    im struggling to sort out a standard tractor wiring mix up. and needed your help to get my head around it.thankyou

anyways i sorted the black wiring connected to 399 solenied to front , guess what no wonder , alternators and starer relay weren't functioning nor headlights.headlight wires must have at some stage cracked at side panel and got spliced using plain wires, blue connectors etc and mixed up. so good job the black wires connected to solenied wasn,t connected to earth as it should be.i suppose it stopped blowing fuses when earth was connected to live. so apart from headlghts not working, by connecting the other black wire to live from relay, across from the side the switch wire should be connected to it meant the relay was effectively neutralised,
    so i now need to fit new starter switch, in absence of dash a warning light wired to white wire and small brown wire in ford connector in dash is working.the mf switch fitted is 4 function standard.but putting in extra wires is not exactly my prefernce there
    a 5 function switch would have a auxillary positon spade. am i right in saying that would only be live if switch is in that position , or would it be live when key is on. so by using a 5 position would that give me an optional spade for connecting warning or charging light, or could it be wired in another way . i intend to wire in extra light and not connect it to dash wires .thanks for help

Nope - range selector will not select either high or low..btw, for the giggles, the owner has a €4900 reciept from a dealer for "repairs to gearbox and wiring"...it took me 20 minutes to get the rh step off, and I was the first to ever do so - factory paint on all the bolt heads...if you know what I mean...and 11 joiners in the wire back from one solenoid...yup, 11. Blue crimped ones...tricky sorting an autotronic with the rh step on.....seeing as the fcuker lives up above that. The earth was also in rag order and only hand tight, but I sorted that, no dice..wiggling the black multiplug on the autron box turns the lights on the range selector on and off..and the range selector rod was flapping loose from the toggle bracket going to the gear lever...ahem...€4900 well spent no doubt.

I'll tow it to my shed and fix the fecker, it is currently in a foot of muck which made working on it dull...and it was lashing rain..

hope you give it a good power-washing first. had to help remove volvo milk truck gearbox a years back to say it was live with lads that thrive in muck was an understatement , steam and degreaser makes life easier.
    btw a main car dealer locally charged €500 + vat to get 14 month old car going after it just stopped while driving to town. fella was happy enough paying bill until staff let it slip that wire going to diesel pump had cracked outside tank and only spotted when car was lifted on ramp.
    3 hrs on diagnostics machine and hiring in auto electrician was most part of bill, he was told. he said if engine was turned by starter and dsl tank full it would be fairly logical to find out if diesel was coming to engine first. cowboy builders ,tractor and car deaers and whats their names "banksters" are protected species , so we had better not sully their "good character" just grin and pay and praise the bridge while we cannot "cross it"

ripped out roof wiring in 399 and replaced it,biggest problem there was chafed wiring and that included earth wire. there is only a thin earth wire in roof in cab and auto electrician doing job reckoned that if earth wiring in massey was increased it would reduce their problems

removed clutch, flywheel and seal at front of gearbox, the clearance bolts on pressure plate were well worn.
    skimmed flywheel, slight scoring by edge,but not excessive,
    however the input drive shaft is damaged slightly so i was advised that must be replaced, however im told that they were modified and are unavailable in old shaft design, so a housing has to be fitted and a sum of over 600 euro is replacement cost of that shaft alone

think it was the release bearing that made noise , the clutch disc i removed was similar to ordinary disc even though bronze, new disc is star type clutch or finger type pattern,

Advertisement