Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Clean Help

Options
  • 21-08-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm trying to eat clean at the moment purely for the good of my health. I've tried to cut out all processed foods and just eat whole, natural foods. I hope to extend this gradually and take some influence from Paleo diet and also limit the amounts of grains and dairy I eat.

There is one problem however I have always struggled to gain and maintain weight and since starting a cleaner diet 6 weeks ago I have lost almost 5 or 6 pounds which cannot be healthy.

I know it is all about calorie deficit surplus etc. no matter what you are eating but I feel as though I am eating sufficient amounts and don't want to end up spending all my money on food alone. Any tips to eat clean but still gain weight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

I wish I had this problem! I've been eating a paleo-ish diet for a few years and I've found that my favourite foods are always really calorie-dense.

100g of macadamia nuts have 755 calories!!! You can get them in tesco.

Nut butters taste heavenly and are really calorific - I love cashew butter.

Also in your dinners you can always add a tbsp of butter (if you don't mind the dairy).

I like coconut cream, one cup has nearly 800 calories, you can have it with fruit, some [weird] people don't like it.

Avocados are have a good amount of calories.

If you're only avoiding grains because of gluten then Nairns do some lovely gluten free oatcakes, there's 900 cals in a pack! They're also low protein so you won't get full up eating them. I have them with full fat hummus.

I think your best bet is fats, so drizzle olive oil on your salads. Cook fatty cuts of meat.. I love chicken thighs or legs instead of chicken breast.

There's load more than that, I'll edit this if I think of anything else :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭maamom

Thanks for the suggestions @ninjabox. Definately need to get more fat it my diet. At the moment I use almond butter in shakes and have bought some coconut oil so cooking with that. Will begin to include avocados too.

What I'm wondering is, is it unrealistic to try to gain weight while eating a low carb diet when I have a fast metabolism?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

maamom wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is, is it unrealistic to try to gain weight while eating a low carb diet when I have a fast metabolism?

Not at all but it can be more difficult to eat a lot of clean food since fat and protein keep you satiated for longer.

Do you do much/any exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Thanks for the suggestions @ninjabox. Definately need to get more fat it my diet. At the moment I use almond butter in shakes and have bought some coconut oil so cooking with that. Will begin to include avocados too.

What's your daily calorific intake?

Most the time when I hear people who say they have a fast metabolism or they can't put on weight, when I ask what they eat, I'm not surprised. Their idea of quantity and mine differ vastly.

Personally, I gained weight on a keto diet. Wasn't too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

From my own experience being too low carb didn't suit me, my energy levels dropped. Even when I'm cutting calories I don't avoid carbs and still lose weight.

The carbs I eat would be potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, gluten free oats, fruit.

I've gained (still staying healthy) and lost weight eating the same types of foods but just being mindful of calories.

I think when you're diet is clean you can start to control your weight using calories as a tool. But if you're not used to eating healthy already it could be more difficult.

I don't know if I answered your question I think I started rambling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

. I've tried to cut out all processed foods and just eat whole, natural foods. I hope to extend this gradually and take some influence from Paleo diet and also limit the amounts of grains and dairy I eat.

There is one problem however I have always struggled to gain and maintain weight and since starting a cleaner diet 6 weeks ago I have lost almost 5 or 6 pounds which cannot be healthy.

I know it is all about calorie deficit surplus etc. no matter what you are eating Any tips to eat clean but still gain weight?

This is not correct. Calories from real foods compared to processed foods have different effects on the body.

I'd suggest you start to include full fat dairy as part of your clean eating. Eat as much clean food as you like and start doing lots of weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Bruno26 wrote: »
    This is not correct. Calories from real foods compared to processed foods have different effects on the body.

I'd suggest you start to include full fat dairy as part of your clean eating. Eat as much clean food as you like and start doing lots of weights.

Bruno while your on have a look at Stephan Guyenet's critique of Gary Taubes.

It's very well referenced and fairly well tears the TaubesInsulin theory to shreds. Very interesting writer, his website has some great post on cvd, diabetes cholesterol etc.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Bruno while your on have a look at Stephan Guyenet's critique of Gary Taubes.

It's very well referenced and fairly well tears the TaubesInsulin theory to shreds. Very interesting writer, his website has some great post on cvd, diabetes cholesterol etc.

I found a couple of his articles. He agrees with low carb for weight loss. He also says refined carbs and the effects on the brain cause obesity. That is similar to Taubes.

I found a couple of his articles. He agrees with low carb for weight loss. He also says refined carbs and the effects on the brain cause obesity. That is similar to Taubes.

Any comment on where he disagrees?

Any comment on where he disagrees?

They appear to agree on more than they disagree on. Taubes is correct on what he says.

• Advertisement

They appear to agree on more than they disagree on. Taubes is correct on what he says.

IIFYI.

IIFYI.

Not a clue what that ridiculous abbreviation means!

They both agree refined carbs make you fat and that lowering carbs make you lose fat. Nothing else to discuss really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Not a clue what that ridiculous abbreviation means!

They both agree refined carbs make you fat and that lowering carbs make you lose fat. Nothing else to discuss really.

How is this helpful for the OP?

How is this helpful for the OP?

It's not. That's pretty obvious. Why only ask me? Why don't you ask the other two who sidetracked the thread. I simply responded to others. You asking me is just as unhelpful to the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Talisman

Consume more calories.

Dried fruits such as dates, raisins and apricots are high in calories.
    Dark Chocolate (70-85% Cacao) has around 600 calories per 100g.
    Nuts & Seeds are high calorie foods.
    Coconut Milk - Over 500 calories per cup.
    Avocadoes are calorie rich also.

Advertisement