Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back tax

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

goz83 wrote: »
    Seems to me like this advice is often given to people to evade tax. What the op is doing is fraudulent. Sorry to be on the HH here, but it seems they just didn't pay their car tax for a period of time, while still having insurance and use of the car. In my view, that's wrong. If they were not using the car, it should have been declared OTR. Maybe tell your parents to pay their tax rather than finding fraudulent ways to evade it.
    I said that it was evasion in my opinion, not the laws. Though the law is blind.

No mention of the words 'in my opinion' here........
    Some people try to give correct advice in the motors forum (whether you , or others, agree with it or not). It might not always suit those who are convinced they are on the moral high ground.

Others come here and simply try to shove their opinion down people's throats....doesn't make them right, even when they attempt to soften their opinion and claim that that's not quite what was meant.

As it stands anyone is entitled to change ownership of a vehicle and this will negate any Motor Tax arrears....that is the law. If anyone would like to think that this is illegal,a form of tax evasion, immoral, fraudulent, etc. that is only their own opinion and has no bearing on the OP's question.

He asked a question.
    He was told that changing ownership will negate the arrears.
    Nothing illegal was suggested.
    End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    No mention of the words 'in my opinion' here........

Taken from post #9
    Granted, there is no law to stop people from transferring ownership of a car to one person and then back to themselves. But that's why I suggested the loophole needs to be closed. Otherwise, we are just back to the old days of not taxing the car for a few months, filling out a form and getting away with it, no penalty at all. Tax evasion in my opinion.

Less of the skim reading could help.
    Some people try to give correct advice in the motors forum (whether you , or others, agree with it or not). It might not always suit those who are convinced they are on the moral high ground.

Well, i'm just not one to tell people how to get away with what is deceitful, even if it is lawful.
    Others come here and simply try to shove their opinion down people's throats....doesn't make them right, even when they attempt to soften their opinion and claim that that's not quite what was meant.

And others like to think that only their opinion matter, while forgetting the points others were actually making. Perhaps because they too behave in a deceitful, but lawful way. That's just conjecture though.
    As it stands anyone is entitled to change ownership of a vehicle and this will negate any Motor Tax arrears....that is the law. If anyone would like to think that this is illegal,a form of tax evasion, immoral, fraudulent, etc. that is only their own opinion and has no bearing on the OP's question.

Your wording here is quite deliberately misleading to what the op was about. Yes, it's legal to change ownership of a vehicle and it doesn't even have to mean that money exchanged hands. But, the reason in the op case is deceitful and anyone with an ounce of decency would not even try to argue against that. And IN MY OPINION (maybe you'll remember that one) it is a form of evading tax (which is not lawfully due at that time due to legal wording), it is behaving in a fraudulent way and it is immoral.

I myself take steps to avoid paying as much tax as I do, but it's all done legally AND morally in my view. I wouldn't transfer my business to a new owner (family member) once a year, just to avoid paying higher taxes, by availing of the benefits given to a business in the first year. But, it is legal to do so. I wouldn't set up a new trading name and open a new business account every 2 years to get the free business online banking, which costs €360 a year. But, it is legal to do so. There are plenty of legal things I could do, which I believe to me wrong. I said it before. If the law is all we have to live by and use as our shield whenever we do something questionable, then it's a pretty lame argument (in my opinion).
    He asked a question.
    He was told that changing ownership will negate the arrears.
    Nothing illegal was suggested.
    End of story.

Yeah. He came to boards and was told how he could legally laugh in the face of everyone else who actually pays their road tax. This, even though ownership hasn't actually changed from the parents of the OP, who continue to be insured on a car, that is not at this time, legally their car. Good stuff there.

Seems to me like this advice is often given to people to evade tax. What the op is doing is fraudulent.

Taken from post #6....which, if I'm not mistaken, would be well before post #9.

When making a bold statement without any legislation to back it up there is little point in coming back several posts later and saying that it was really just your opinion or belief.
    If it was then state that in the original post.
    You cannot accuse somebody of evading tax or commiting fraud when they are doing nothing of the sort.
    What you might believe is your business and has no basis in Irish Law.

If you feel that the current situation with regards to motor tax is either wrong or immoral I suggest you contact your TD rather than wrongly accuse somebody of committing a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The motor tax system is wrong and immoral so if someone finds a loop hole fair play to them

Taken from post #6....which, if I'm not mistaken, would be well before post #9.

When making a bold statement without any legislation to back it up there is little point in coming back several posts later and saying that it was really just your opinion or belief.
    If it was then state that in the original post.
    You cannot accuse somebody of evading tax or commiting fraud when they are doing nothing of the sort.
    What you might believe is your business and has no basis in Irish Law.

If you feel that the current situation with regards to motor tax is either wrong or immoral I suggest you contact your TD rather than wrongly accuse somebody of committing a crime.

Haha. We are in the motors forum, not the legal forum. And when you said "no mention of (in my opinion)", it had already been stated "well before" your statement that I said no such thing (in post 32) so your post on that point was irrelevant and now you're just nit picking and back tracking.

Most of what is said on forums is someones opinion. I'm sorry, but that's just a fact (in my opinion :P). Did you know that most laws start with an opinion? That opinion gets recognition and then may become the law of the land.

• Advertisement

Seems to me like this advice is often given to people to evade tax. What the op is doing is fraudulent. Sorry to be on the HH here, but it seems they just didn't pay their car tax for a period of time, while still having insurance and use of the car. In my view, that's wrong. If they were not using the car, it should have been declared OTR. Maybe tell your parents to pay their tax rather than finding fraudulent ways to evade it.

They need to update the system to close this loophole. If backtax is owed, it should not carry to the new owner, but if the old owner suddenly becomes the owner again within a 6-12 month period, the backtax should then become due again.

Yawn, it never ceases to amaze me how anal some people can be when it comes to rules, especially when there is money to be saved. Life must be tough keeping every single rule and regulation.
    PaddyFagan wrote: »
    More interestingly to my mind - if the value of the car exceeds 3k, revenue can pursue you for 33% of the value as gift tax - might prove entertaining! http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/gift-inheritance.html

Paddy

It would be considered loan as it being signed back would constitute repayment. In anycase there is an exemption on gift tax up to around 200k between parents and their children.

Yawn, it never ceases to amaze me how anal some people can be when it comes to rules, especially when there is money to be saved.

Clearly you're easily amazed aswell as obnoxious. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Ladi daw..

Same ol' same ol'.

the fact that everyone powers their vehicle with fuel should encourage a fairer system by piggybacking the car tax onto the price of a litre.

the fact that everyone powers their vehicle with fuel should encourage a fairer system by piggybacking the car tax onto the price of a litre.

Ah, you can't let the Leaf Driver's off scot free.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Ah, you can't let the Leaf Driver's off scot free.:)

Now mgbgt1978 you know as well as I do that the oul' electric doesn't come free.....

or do you know better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

can you still do this

Advertisement