Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnate's Study Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Magnate wrote: »
    Okay plan for this week:

English: Yeah.. Won't be studying English much, it's too subjective to depend on for points, I'll just do the bare minimum coming up to exams and scrape a low B/C.
    Irish: Géibheann & Cáca Milis, start preparing oral answers and revise fadhbanna daoine óga & an córas oideachais for the essay.
    Maths: Algebra Revision.
    Business: Chapter 20.
    Biology: Everything on DNA.
    Construction:Planning.
    Spanish:Prepare oral answers.

Busy week ahead!

Managed to get this all done, somehow!

For Next Week:

Irish: Colscaradh, na meáin chumarsáide, and more oral answers.
    Maths: More algebra revision.
    Business: Chapter 21.
    Biology: Diffusion & osmosis, the cell.
    Construction:Site safety.
    Spanish: Make vocab flashcards.

Right new year fresh start blah blah blah. I've reached a point where if I don't kick myself up the arse I'm not going to achieve what I want. I'm going to use this weekend to catch up on..start all the christmas homework, do a bit of prep for the orals and make a study plan for the mocks.

151 days.

For too long I've been paralysed by my own impossible standards. It's time to become passionate about the leaving cert. Time to eat sleep and breathe it. If I can keep this mentality up for the next 3 - 4 weeks it will become habitual. Then there's the mocks straight after so I should be well and truly into a routine - as long as I can avoid burnout!

I'm tempted to replace my early morning routine with a late night alternative... or really early morning :P

Today for whatever reason I decided to sit down and do a whole business paper - no choice of questions. I'd recommend everyone to try it at least once. It has really changed my perspective on the whole course. I did it with an open book, the purpose was not to test myself but to get familiar with the exam, develop my work ethic, practise my layout and craft the perfect sample answers. My hand also got a workout too which was beneficial :P

The whole thing seems less daunting now that I've done a whole exam + 3 more questions than I'll have to do on the actual day. It also suited my read/write learning style perfectly and I felt like I've learned a lot today. Definitely a productive way to spend an evening.

What's more, I feel like I've gotten an overview of the entire course and I think I'm better prepared to make study notes on each topic as I'm more familar with the marking scheme.

I've been approaching this the wrong way.

I need to stop looking for motivation. Motivation is state dependent. If I have to feel pumped to tackle my exam papers or trick myself into being excited about studying it's just going to lead to procrastination.

It's time to get disciplined.

I find the hardest thing to do is just get started. I could spend hours thinking about studying, getting ready to study, writing about studying (cough cough ;)) but the only way to become disciplined is to build habits - The way to build habits is to start small but be consistent. Here's a quote by Calvin Coolidge that really sums it up.
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

The plan is to just start small enough so that it's manageable and I can do it consistently every day. Unfortunately with mocks coming up and little study done it's looking more and more like a 2 week crash course in cramming but I'll see how I do.

My course is so ridiculously close to the 600 that I've decided to just go all out and aim for 625. Instead of looking to just get by in maths and scrape a B3, I need to master it. This will mean reviewing any concepts covered in class on a daily, weekly and monthly basis and constantly practising exam questions.

I'd like to delve more into my mindset, habits, routine and study techniques but it's going to have to wait until after the mocks. To be honest, the reality of them has just hit me and it's time to get serious. My main aim for them is to not fail maths and also to improve upon my pre-mocks and try to hit 550+ ..if only to give me more confidence for the actual leaving cert.

It seems daunting the fact that it's only 138 days away but from today onwards I'm going to go to bed every single night more prepared than I was the day previous. It's the little things done consistently that snowball into great achievements.... I've left it a little late for that though so it's time to up the workload.

I think it's important to regularly plan and reflect on what I'm doing so that I can improve, so I'll start from now and set concrete deadlines. At the moment I have coursework, projects and whatnot to catch up on so that's how I intend to spend most of this weekend. However by 5pm Sunday I aim to have all that taken care of and a strict mock cramming plan in place for each subject. Then for the next few weeks I'll update daily on what I've completed.

There's a technique that I've been testing out this week and I've found that it suits me really well. It's called the pomodoro technique and without going into too much detail, you basically study for 25 mins then take a 5 min break, after 4 25 min sessions you take a 30 minute break. There's a wealth of information available online so you can look into it if you want. I use an app to keep track of the time and it's really helpful with eliminating procrastination and getting more work done. The constant "tick-tock" helps to keep me focused on the task at hand while creating a false sense of pressure which simulates an exam environment. I immediately notice if my mind begins to wander and get back to it quickly, racing the clock. I think the main reason it works is because it breaks your workload into manageable chunks and rewards you with free time for completing them. It's so much better than trying to work for a 3-4 hour block. When I try to do that, I procrastinate indefinitely and end up spending much longer on it than it should take me. It's a lot easier to say to yourself "work for 25 mins and then you can take a short break" it really helps to keep me motivated so I'd really recommend it.

Anyway, let the cramming commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

I'm aiming for high 500s myself. If I get over 550 I get 6k every year for college. How much are you looking to get in your mocks?

• Advertisement

dazzadazza wrote: »
    I'm aiming for high 500s myself. If I get over 550 I get 6k every year for college. How much are you looking to get in your mocks?

For the mocks Id like to be getting around 550. What grant gives 6k a year?

Edit I mean scholarship, brain not functioning that early in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

For the mocks Id like to be getting around 550. What grant gives 6k a year?

Edit I mean scholarship, brain not functioning that early in the morning..

Not too sure but my career guidance told me abut it. I'm going to look into it. I enjoy your log because we got the same points in 5th year summer and similar grades. I feel it's a bit of motivation someone I can check my progress with. Good luck

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Not too sure but my career guidance told me abut it. I'm going to look into it. I enjoy your log because we got the same points in 5th year summer and similar grades. I feel it's a bit of motivation someone I can check my progress with. Good luck

Well for 550+ the only one I'm familiar with is the DCU scholarship, but that only awards a once off cash prize. I know that SUSI pays your student contribution and tuition fee regardless of points but it depends on your parents income and whatnot.

Speaking of motivation, this is a really interesting video. I might see how I can apply it to the leaving cert.

Right here we go, my cramplan is complete!

English

Bah English!

Irish

Filíocht
    • Géibheann
    • Colscaradh
    • An t-Earrach Thiar
    • An Gnáthrud
    • An Spailpin Fanach
    Prós
    • Cáca Milis
    • Oisín i dTír na nÓg
    • Hurlamaboc
    • Dís
    • A Thig Ná Tit Orm
    Ceapadóireacht
    • An Córas Oideachais
    • Fadhbanna Daoine Óga
    • An Ghaeilge
    • Na Meáin Chumarsáide
    • An Timpeallacht
    • Coiriúlacht in Éirinn

Maths

Paper 1
    • Algebra
    • Quadratic and Cubic Equations
    • Inequalities
    • Simultaneous Equations
    • Indices and Logarithms
    • Functions and Graphing Functions
    • Binomial Theorem
    • Complex Numbers
    • First Principles
    • Differentiation by Rules
    • Applications to Curve Sketching
    • Integration
    Paper 2
    • Coordinate Geometry of the Line
    • Coordinate Geometry of the Circle
    • Geometry Theorems
    • Trigonometry I
    • Trigonometry II
    • Perimeter, Area, Volume and Nets
    • Permutations and Combinations
    • Probability
    • Statistics I: Statistical Investigations
    • Statistics II: Central Tendency and Spread of Data
    • Statistics IV: The Normal Curve, z-Scores, Hypothesis Testing and Simulation

Business

Unit 1
    • Chapter 1-People in Business
    • Chapter 2-Consumer Conflict
    • Chapter 3-Industrial Relations Conflicts
    Unit 2
    • Chapter 4-Enterprise
    Unit 3
    • Chapter 5-Management
    • Chapter 6-Management Skills 1
    • Chapter 7-Communications
    Unit 4
    • Chapter 8-Management Activities
    • Chapter 9-Human Resource Management
    • Chapter 10-Change
    • Chapter 11-Insurance and Tax
    • Chapter 12-Finance
    Unit 5
    • Chapter 13-Business Ideas
    • Chapter 14-Business Start-up
    • Chapter 16-Marketing 1
    • Chapter 16 Marketing 2
      Chapter 17-Business Expansion
    Unit 6
    • Chapter 18-Business Organisations
    • Chapter 19-Categories of Industry
    • Chapter 20-Business, The Economy and Government
    • Chapter 21-Community Development
    • Chapter 22-Social Responsibility

Biology
    • The Scientific Method
    • The Characteristics of Life
    • Cells
    • Cell Diversity
    • Diffusion and Osmosis
    • Enzymes
    • Food
    • Digestive system
    • Circulatory &L ymphatic system
    • Homeostasis
    • Breathing system, plant gaseous exchange
    • Skin
    • Excretory system
    • Plant Structure
    • Plant Transport, Plant Nutrition
    • Respiration
    • Cell Division
    • DNA
    • Genetic Engineering
    • Plant Reproduction

Construction
    To save time I'll just revise:
    • U-Value
    • Q3
    • Q6
    • Q10A

Spanish
    It's more of a skill than a rote learning subject so I should do okay just using my acquired knowledge over the past 6 years. I'll revise:
    • Grammar
    • Useful Phrases
    • Vocab

Okay that's about 90 topics give or take.
    90 x 25 minute study session = 37.5 hours
    = 45 study sessions a week
    = 20 on weekends, 25 spread over the week.

So I need to spending about 2 hours studying each day next week and then 10 spread over the weekend. Fun times ahead!

For tomorrow I'm going to focus on maths, knock off a few simple biology topics, get a chapter or two of business covered and go over some Spanish vocab. Might tackle the U-Value for construction. That may seem excessive but most of them topics shouldn't take the full 25 mins so I'll be saving some time and also prioritising what's more likely to come up.

Well that was ambitious of me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 131313

How do you find the Less Stress More Success project maths books?

131313 wrote: »

I would say they're great but to be honest I haven't really used them much so I can't give you an accurate answer.

Come back to me in 2 weeks after I've read them cover to cover after the mocks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

saw you wanted tips for studying business and maths:
    Maths - take a topic and absolutely blitz in, start with the ones that appear in more than one topic e.g logs,algebra, specifically. Themathstutor is solid for going through exam papers and really all you can do is try and answer every type of question they can ask. Probobly already knew this but anyway :)

Business: This has gotten much tougher recently, where a question used to be: describe how "x" uses motivation it is now "evaluate how maslows hierarchy of needs effects emplyees motivation". Where was once nice and broad is new very very specific, so to get the high grade, which im also hoping you actually need to know every defination and every small little section because they make stupid 20 mark question on small parts. id also reccomend doing long q for unit 2/3/4/5, this leaves you with a choice of 3 out of 4 which is nice. However you still need at least one from unit 1/6/7 so i reccomend take unit 1, inside out ( short q's are tough for this unit and very factual, they are making the questions easier) skip unit 6 only know it for defination questions and take unit 7( short and sweet). this allows you to still have a lovely choice e.g ( 2 q section 1 and 2 from section2 or....... 1 from section 1 and 3 from section 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Maths - take a topic and absolutely blitz in, start with the ones that appear in more than one topic e.g logs,algebra, specifically. Themathstutor is solid for going through exam papers and really all you can do is try and answer every type of question they can ask. Probobly already knew this but anyway :)

Business: This has gotten much tougher recently, where a question used to be: describe how "x" uses motivation it is now "evaluate how maslows hierarchy of needs effects emplyees motivation". Where was once nice and broad is new very very specific, so to get the high grade, which im also hoping you actually need to know every defination and every small little section because they make stupid 20 mark question on small parts. id also reccomend doing long q for unit 2/3/4/5, this leaves you with a choice of 3 out of 4 which is nice. However you still need at least one from unit 1/6/7 so i reccomend take unit 1, inside out ( short q's are tough for this unit and very factual, they are making the questions easier) skip unit 6 only know it for defination questions and take unit 7( short and sweet). this allows you to still have a lovely choice e.g ( 2 q section 1 and 2 from section2 or....... 1 from section 1 and 3 from section 2)

For business I agree completely. Know units 2, 3, 4 inside out, it'll be worth 60%+ on the day due to the ABQ this year being those units. My teacher said the most important thing students need to do is read the damn question. A lot of people read and see "EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OF TQM for managers." and just ignore the managers part and go into the benefits for business at a whole when thats not what they're asking. Business seems like a hard A tbh, I'm at best going for a B.

Kremin wrote: »
    For business I agree completely. Know units 2, 3, 4 inside out, it'll be worth 60%+ on the day due to the ABQ this year being those units. My teacher said the most important thing students need to do is read the damn question. A lot of people read and see "EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OF TQM for managers." and just ignore the managers part and go into the benefits for business at a whole when thats not what they're asking. Business seems like a hard A tbh, I'm at best going for a B.

Cheers guys, this year I've really turned around business and I'd say it's my best subject now :)

It takes a while to get used to structuring your waffle, but after that it's all common sense really.

Nothing like mocks to get you into the swing of studying!

131313 wrote: »

Having spent the last two weekends getting acquainted with them, I have to say they're fantastic! Very exam focused, clearly explaining past exam questions with loads of tips as well. I'd definitely recommend them!

personally id avoid the revise wise business, i think its very poor, business express book is great however

personally id avoid the revise wise business, i think its very poor, business express book is great however

Yep I've heard that so that's why I went with the less stress more success one instead, its really useful, probably the sole reason business is now my best subject! ;)

Yep I've heard that so that's why I went with the less stress more success one instead, its really useful, probably the sole reason business is now my best subject! ;)

less stress still doesnt go into enough detail however, remember its a revision book, it takes all the information and cuts it down, so if its an a1 your going for you will need more info than needed to secure it,

• Advertisement

less stress still doesnt go into enough detail however, remember its a revision book, it takes all the information and cuts it down, so if its an a1 your going for you will need more info than needed to secure it,

Yeah that's true but it helps to summarise and organise the points in my head so that I can then waffle on about them all separately in a structured manner. If you know the basics it's very easy to expand upon them. I find that the problem is most of it is such common sense that it's hard to remember the answer in the first place because it's too obvious. Anyway judging by class tests and pres results I'm well on track so I'll keep doing what I'm doing I guess :)

I feel like I should update this.

Mocks back, scraped 520. I know it's a good result and I shouldn't complain but I'm so far off target and I don't know where to start. I felt like I gave those exams my best and I don't know how I could bring them up another 80 points..

April tomorrow so I think I'll start studying and see what happens.

April tomorrow so I think I'll start studying and see what happens.

Well there goes an entire month. I think I'll return to this at the weekend and start taking it seriously.

Well there goes an entire month. I think I'll return to this at the weekend and start taking it seriously.

hahahahahhahahahah got a good laugh out of that, think were all hitting the demoralized stage now, sea sessions festival is on 2 days after my last exam, all i can think about now

The procrastination is pathological, there's no other explanation.

There's "burnout" and then there's burnout. This is the latter unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Try to get plenty of exercise / sleep / decent food over the weekend, and put the LC out of your mind ... it doesn't exist for this weekend. Then make a real effort next week to do a set amount of time each night ... no excuses, no Fb or boards, just study for that time .. and when you've met your goal, relax, forget about it and get to bed early.

Telling you to take the weekend off might seem a strange way of tackling it if you've got a sense that you're not doing enough study etc., but a total break from even thinking about the LC and a fresh start might just kickstart you again. ;)

It IS that time of year, and you're definitely not the only one feeling it.

Try to get plenty of exercise / sleep / decent food over the weekend, and put the LC out of your mind ... it doesn't exist for this weekend. Then make a real effort next week to do a set amount of time each night ... no excuses, no Fb or boards, just study for that time .. and when you've met your goal, relax, forget about it and get to bed early.

Telling you to take the weekend off might seem a strange way of tackling it if you've got a sense that you're not doing enough study etc., but a total break from even thinking about the LC and a fresh start might just kickstart you again. ;)

It IS that time of year, and you're definitely not the only one feeling it.

Thanks randy, really appreciate the advice.

When you read past study logs and see the same thing happening to others, or when your teachers warn you in September that you'll be feeling this way in May you don't really believe them. It all seems so black and white - The leaving cert is in a few weeks so put the head down and study, it's simple. Just do it.

And then when that time finally does come you're just physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted. If I had one piece of advice for next year's 6th years it would be to prepare yourself mentally for this and start meditating everyday or something because it's a rollercoaster of emotions that you never really appreciate until you're right in the midst of it.

Surprisingly enough the leaving cert has been pretty far from my mind in the past few days. It's almost like a natural coping mechanism to forget all about it has kicked in and all I've been doing this week is watching tv and whatnot. I think you're right, I'll extend this break for another few days and then start afresh next week.

Thanks, :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'd advise a real effort to get some fresh air and exercise though, lad ... doesn't matter if it's walking, cycling, playing football, hillwalking, horseriding, whatever you enjoy doing, rather than just sitting in front of the tv.

When our mothers used to tell us to "go out for a walk in the fresh air, it will clear the cobwebs from your brain!" it might not have been literally accurate, but they knew what they were about all the same! ;)

And it should help you sleep more restfully as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Heya, I was looking through old study logs and I saw that you were aiming for similar points to myself. Do you have any tips in terms of study, keeping yourself disciplined and not burning out?

Advertisement