Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Funeral

Options
  • 19-08-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

I have been planning to write a will as I'm a proper adult now. Does anyone know if a Viking funeral is feasible in Ireland? I've been trying to find out what the legality of such a situation would be or if there are any funeral homes that might facilitate such a request.

I'm talking being put in a small boat with some stuff I like, floated out on the water and having the boat set alight until it burns up my body and sinks.

I'm not a Viking or believe in the Norse religion or anything, 100% athiest so I don't really give a damn what happens to my body after I die (organ donor and all), I just think it'd be a pretty epic way to go, and if I do kick the bucket it will be a cool way to be remembered.

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Dwaegon wrote: »
    I have been planning to write a will as I'm a proper adult now. Does anyone know if a Viking funeral is feasible in Ireland. I've been trying to find out what the legality of such a situation would be or if there are any funeral homes that might facilitate such a request.

I'm talking being put in a small boat with some stuff I like, floated out on the water and having the boat set alight until it burns up my body and sinks.

I'm not a Viking or believe in the Norse religion or anything, 100% athiest so I don't really give a damn what happens to my body after I die (organ donor and all), I just think it'd be a pretty epic way to go, and if I do kick the bucket it will be a cool way to be remembered.

Any help would be much appreciated

I'll burn your corpse for a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would imagine there would be problems with dumping a body in a natural water source. The fire would probably just make you a bit crispy.

I may be wrong but I would be surprised if it was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sadly I think the only legal options in Ireland are burial or cremation (for public health reasons I think). I'd love to be sent out that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

I would imagine there would be problems with dumping a body in a natural water source. The fire would probably just make you a bit crispy.

I may be wrong but I would be surprised if it was allowed.

I am talking about the sea really. I'm not planning on doing it in a reservoir! ;)

With that in mind, international waters and all... What's the law on taking a corpse to sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Waste of a fine boat.

• Advertisement

DeadHand wrote: »
    Waste of a fine boat.

Damn fine use of a boat! My boat!

Anyway, I'll leave my boat to my corpse in my will under the condition that my body be put into it, set alight, and put in the water. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

DeadHand wrote: »
    Waste of a fine boat.

You could make the same argument for coffins. Aparently you have to have a fancy wooden one for getting a cremation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

and if I do kick the bucket

What do you mean if. Do you know something we don't know? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I think the UK has designated sea burial grounds. You can be taken out with material around you, weighted down and dropped in these areas. Other ships and divers and that are supposed to avoid these zones.

Chucken wrote: »
    What do you mean if. Do you know something we don't know? :eek:

So far so good... no harm being optimistic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You might need to go to Denmark.

The origin of this. They might help you out. But no guarantees!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Giving a fcuk about the legalities isn't particularly Viking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭DeadHand

P_1 wrote: »
    You could make the same argument for coffins. Aparently you have to have a fancy wooden one for getting a cremation.

Can't go fishin' in a coffin.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I think the UK has designated sea burial grounds. You can be taken out with material around you, weighted down and dropped in these areas. Other ships and divers and that are supposed to avoid these zones.

Nah, it's gotta float until it's too burnt to float. I want to be good and crispified before I go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Giving a fcuk about the legalities isn't particularly Viking...

Actually in most of the Norse sagas they're pretty obsessed with laws, courts and suing each other - mostly because it was the only alternative to blood feuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's all good and well until a poor fisherman/diver/sailor comes across your charred head bobbing past or washed up ashore and the shítstorm begins.

Without a note attached saying "It's ok lads, I meant this to happen", you're looking at a search and rescue operation to find the rest of you, a lengthy identification process, an investigation by a lot of organisations into wtf is happening....

What I'm basically saying is just make sure there isn't a trace of you left :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I ordered a stapler and a swivel chair of them once and got a permanent marker and a filing cabinet.

Wouldn't trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I ordered a stapler and a swivel chair of them once and got a permanent marker and a filing cabinet.

Wouldn't trust them.

Yeah but you got the free tin of USA biscuits, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

P_1 wrote: »
    Sadly I think the only legal options in Ireland are burial or cremation (for public health reasons I think). I'd love to be sent out that way too.

I think you can be buried anywhere once you get permission. Most people just don't bother looking into it before they kick the bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Sky burial on croke Patrick ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Suppose it comes down to how much money you have.

Not much; cremation on a boat that then sinks.
    Bit more money; as above, but get yourself kitted out with a sword and clothes from the year 1200. And wear an up-to-date watch to confuse whoever finds ye.

Lots of money; Build a waterproof stone tomb, with your 4 inch thick steel coffin inside, with yourself with yourself wearing a full armour suit, and carrying a sword. Have it built on a wooden boat. And have the ship lit on fire near the Bermuda Triangle, so that the tomb inside the remains of a wooden ship confuses people. And finally, do so in complete secrecy, so that your remains gets put into a museum when someone finds ye :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I believe you should serve copious amounts of Harp Larger at a Viking funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nah, it's gotta float until it's too burnt to float. I want to be good and crispified before I go under.

The could stick flares onto your corpse to burn you as you go down. It's easier to find flares by the ocean than it is to find a skilled archer at a few day's notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sauve wrote: »
    Yeah but you got the free tin of USA biscuits, right?

Fcuking postman must have ate them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I saw a Viking burial reenactment, (no body) on the boat, on the river Ouse in York, it was absolutely amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Won't someone think of the wee man in the boat.

We've burnt ourselves out on zombies and now it's Vikings. Who knows what it'll be when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

get cremated and then (get someone to) put your ashes on a little model viking boat and burn that where you please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

The chances of you being anymore than badly bar-b-q'd, black on the outside - raw inside, before the boat sinks are very low. Crematoriums take +/- three hours in ideal conditions. A burning boat would struggle to reach the sustained temp needed.

Better alternative - get cremated ashore - put ashes in boat, light touch paper and retire...

Advertisement