Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold and damp in apartment

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I would like to bring up a problem that I feel that me and my partner have been treated unfairly.
    The other day, I have noticed when I was sorting out my clothes that there were some green mold on the side of my clothes. There is also a nasty smell in the wardrobe too. At the time, my partner and I were thinking of moving back to our parents house due to financial difficulties and this was why, at the time I was sorting out my clothes.

I emailed my landlord about the mold/damp incident and the 30 day notice and if it were possible to get possible compensation on our damaged items, our framed images on the wall were actually wrinkled and one of my magazines in the wardrobe got wrinkled, even though i only bought it in June.

We got a reply back from the landlord saying that it was insane asking for compensation, telling us that he, his wife and child lived there and he would have the place available if it was a health hazard.

Ii was shocked with the email and there was no apology in the email. I suffer from asthma and have been feeling a bit ill. The place does not get much sun light due to the fact the our place is at a corner on the ground floor. We were not told that the place was flooded before, the bathroom was flooded too. There is a large mark in the hallway in where the damp is covered in paint, this is from the bathroom getting flooded. The place is cold and feels damp. I had to throw out some of my clothes because they were really damp and had mold on them.
    This is not good for my health and we have only rented this place on the 21st of June this year. We were very interested with the apartment and it does have great storage space, but the fact that I found out about the damp problem, I am very worried that my asthma will get worse by living here and i feel the place is not suitable for anyone to live in. The are even spore moulds that are growing on the window in the sitting room,

Also we have not recieved the PRTB letter of registration, do you know how long we have to wait to recieve that from the landlord?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact your local Enviromental Health Officer if yhou feel the property is unsuitable.

You will find these on Local council website.

Take photo's of everything and keep a record of dates and times etc.

If there is bad damp for the moment if you can get a dehumidifier this will help.

The property sounds like it is very old and not insulated properly as had similar problems but a hell of a lot worse with black mould on all walls and growth also.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

How long have you been in the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Am I right in saying you moved in in June, and are now seeking to move out?

And you want to be compensated for a magazine? Are you fu*cking sh*tting me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KATT22

Zulu, my clothes got damaged too and my health is at risk staying in an apartment that is cold and damp!

Have you tried washing your clothes? (serious question)

• Advertisement

there were clothes that we badly moldy that i had to throw them out

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Seems like you want to get out of your lease... you moved in in june and due to financial difficulties you decided to start packing and then you noticed the mould..
    you then emailed the landlord giving him 30 day noticed plus the expectation of compensation for your clothes, which may I add may have been caused by you own doing ( not airing the room etc. )
    What is the BER on the apartment ? Im sure you knew this before you moved in , especially as the house is old with no insulation.
    Seems a bit cheeky to me !!

excuse you for me being treated unfairly by my landlord! I only noticed the mold when i was sorting out my clothes, found out by other tenants that every couple that lived in our place, had problems with damp and mold. I dont bull****. I have loads of photos to prove it! The apartment block was flooded before too, we even have spores growing on the window sill, its that bad!
    Our landlord didnt tell us the BER either, and he didnt tell us that the apartment was broken into either or that the apartment block was flooded ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As I said op contact environmental health officer and also get onto threshold and they will give you all the advice needed as letter will have to be sent to LL.

I did all that, just waiting for reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

Did you not sign a lease which you would be breaking? This may be the reason your ll wasn't jumping to give you compo after the initial cost of advertising the place, the costs to repair the condensation issues that will be left after you and then re advertising the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. Moved into a bungalow that had been empty for a while so I ignored the musty smell. Within a few weeks mold started to grow on any clothes left on the floor, our duvet, and clothes in the wardrobe. Then black mould started climbing up the walls. The floors were ice cold all the time. We took pictures of all of the damage and mould and showed it to the estate agent. She liaised with the LL and we were allowed to move out within the weeks with our full deposit. But we weren't compensated for any of the damages or the cost of moving, as it was deemed fixable. We were a bit annoyed but sure, it definitely taught us some of the finer points of inspecting a property! Just chalk it up to a life lesson and look up some tips online for getting mould out of clothes safely.

suppose, il see how things turn out, there will be guys checking out the place and seeing how bad the mold is. But sure im moving back home anyway, next time i move out, il definetly make sure its suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I don't think you have a case for compensation to be honest - mould and mildew are common problems in rental properties in Ireland you will learn that you need to be vigilant and careful of what you store where. At the same time if its becoming an issue you have a right (and responsibility) to bring it to the attention of the landlord. I get the impression (and may certainly be wrong) that you may be shooting yourself in the foot somewhat with your slightly apologetic use of language which could result in your written complaint not being taken seriously. If you suspect that the condition of the property is aggravating your asthma don't just infer that you have been feeling 'a bit ill' lately. Be clear of your objective - either to get the problem sorted or get out of the lease - and give them the facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I don't think you have a case for compensation to be honest - mould and mildew are common problems in rental properties in Ireland.

Well they shouldn't be...it's a disgrace that mouldy properties are being let out to paying customers.

There needs to be more regulation in the private rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

chopper6 wrote: »
    Well they shouldn't be...it's a disgrace that mouldy properties are being let out to paying customers.

There needs to be more regulation in private rental market.

There really doesn't.

MouseTail wrote: »
    There really doesn't.

No...let rackrenters and gougers let out substandard hovels at exhorbitant prices forever.

No...let rackrenters and gougers let out substandard hovels at exhorbitant prices forever.
    Or, you know, inspect a property before you rent it. And (importantly) don't rent a substandard hovel for an exorbitant price.

Zulu wrote: »
    Or, you know, inspect a property before you rent it. And (importantly) don't rent a substandard hovel for an exorbitant price.

Are retailers allowed to sell rotten food?

What about car dealerships selling unsafe bangers?

Why should landlords be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There needs to be more regulation in the private rental market.

Red tape vs. black mould.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

They cant. There are standards, some would say they are OTT (eg compulsory provision of a microwave). Also, remember it was the well meaning abolition of the old style bedsit that has contributed to the existing crisis.

MouseTail wrote: »
    They cant. There are standards, some would say they are OTT (eg compulsory provision of a microwave). Also, remember it was the well meaning abolition of the old style bedsit that has contributed to the existing crisis.

Anybody will tell you that bedists have been far from abolished...there are hundreds of them in the Nth Circular road and surrounding areas alone.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks, get back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if the mould was as bad as you say, then it would have been obvious from the way the place smelled when you inspected it. As an asthmatic, you should be well aware of this, but maybe you are new to the world of renting. (And in fairness, I once moved into a place that was very damp - and moved out again in less three months).

For now, do not expect compensation: you made a mistake, you need to bear the costs. (You can wash your clothes, and read wrinkled magazines.)

Also, you should not expect the landlord to tell you that a property has flooded, or has been broken in to before: it's really not relevant to your tenancy.

For the future:

Inspect properties properly before you rent them. Check for signs of dampless. Check for where the sun is likely to go, and how much will get into the house. Ask about the BER.

if there is any tendency to dampness, then do not put furniture or wardrobes hard up against outside wallks, or hang pictures there.

Open the windows each day, for at least an hour.

Clean the windowsills and other places where dust / mould might collect at least once a month.

Vacuum carpets at least weekly.

OP, if the mould was as bad as you say, then it would have been obvious from the way the place smelled when you inspected it. As an asthmatic, you should be well aware of this, but maybe you are new to the world of renting. (And in fairness, I once moved into a place that was very damp - and moved out again in less three months).

For now, do not expect compensation: you made a mistake, you need to bear the costs. (You can wash your clothes, and read wrinkled magazines.)

Also, you should not expect the landlord to tell you that a property has flooded, or has been broken in to before: it's really not relevant to your tenancy.

For the future:

Inspect properties properly before you rent them. Check for signs of dampless. Check for where the sun is likely to go, and how much will get into the house. Ask about the BER.

if there is any tendency to dampness, then do not put furniture or wardrobes hard up against outside wallks, or hang pictures there.

Open the windows each day, for at least an hour.

Clean the windowsills and other places where dust / mould might collect at least once a month.

Vacuum carpets at least weekly.

Yes OP...it's all your fault :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

chopper6 I feel like a broken record telling you to stop with the agenda, please stop the soapboxing and trollish posts. If you can't post in a constructive manner towards the OP, then don't post.

the wardrobe is actually a built in wardrobe so its on the wall. I know yeah for next time to check all these things. No sun light is getting to the apartment, we are on ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where do you dry your clothes, and do you open the windows much? There's a possibility that there isn't much air getting in?

yes i do open the windows, its the fact that the place has been flooded before and the fact that the place is damp due to that, if i was able to upload photos here, that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

KATT22 wrote: »
    yes i do open the windows, its the fact that the place has been flooded before and the fact that the place is damp due to that, if i was able to upload photos here, that would be great.

Simply attach them using the paperclip icon - that will open the photo. Copy the URL into a post by pressing the little mountains and sun icon below and to the right of the paper clip.

OP get on to environmental health - ask the landlord to provide a dehumidifier. It's in his own interest if the place has been flooded. Make sure you are not drying clothes in the apartment (there should be a dryer or drying area) and ensure you are airing the place daily by opening as many windows as possible, for as long as possible.

As for regulation - we there or there abouts now. What we need is enforcement and inspections but: Welcome to Ireland :pac:

Advertisement