Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick noob question

Options
  • 17-08-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Im thinking of upgrading my pc, the pc I have isnt great and it struggles to run games like GTA 4! Im looking to play games that are between 1-4 years old, what should I be looking at to get them to run smoothly?

Awful pc specs below :pac:

Name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Category: Mainstream
    Generation: 7th
    Brand: Pentium Dual-Core
    Cores: 2

Name: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
    Chipset: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI
    Memory: 512 MB
    Category: Mainstream
    Generation: 11th
    DirectX: 10.1

4GB RAM

Should I just buy 2nd hand off adverts etc? bear in mind this isnt for modern games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Budget?

Actually, just copy the first post in here and answer the questions:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Serephucus wrote: »
    Budget?

Actually, just copy the first post in here and answer the questions:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

Budget around 300

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

€300 wouldn't get you much of a PC. A new graphics card would tie you over a little while until you can afford better. I wouldn't overspend on graphics either as that CPU needs replacing soon (you'll need a new motherboard etc.).

Something like a 7770 or 250X.

Maybe look for a second hand card. You might find something like a 6870 on adverts.

Next is do you have enough power for the card? Is this a prebuilt Dell or the likes? Any info on the Power Supply Unit?

Monotype wrote: »
    €300 wouldn't get you much of a PC. A new graphics card would tie you over a little while until you can afford better. I wouldn't overspend on graphics either as that CPU needs replacing soon (you'll need a new motherboard etc.).

Something like a 7770 or 250X.

Maybe look for a second hand card. You might find something like a 6870 on adverts.

Next is do you have enough power for the card? Is this a prebuilt Dell or the likes? Any info on the Power Supply Unit?

A lot of this is going over my head :pac: I reckon ill get a 2nd hand gaming PC, as I said its only for older type games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Carpe diem! Be careful what you're buying. Whoever's selling might insist it's the best thing ever when it's not.

7770 and 250X are names of graphics cards.

6870 is a slightly older but decent midrange graphics card. I see them for €50 on adverts.

For games the graphics is the most important factor.

Now a new component like a graphics card in your machine can consume more power. The power supply unit (PSU) regulates this power and converts it from the high voltage AC you get in your wall socket into something usable by the machine. The capabilities of PSUs for a desktop office machines are designed for lighter power systems and wouldn't be suitable for high end PCs. Higher end PSUs have extra connectors to supply more power to graphics cards.

If you want to keep things simple, get a low power consumption graphics card that doesn't require extra connectors. You should be safe enough so long as the card fits into the case and has a slot on the motherboard for it.
    For example, this R7-250 should do the job.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-Boost/dp/B00FL8H08Q/

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Carpe diem! Be careful what you're buying. Whoever's selling might insist it's the best thing ever when it's not.

7770 and 250X are names of graphics cards.

6870 is a slightly older but decent midrange graphics card. I see them for €50 on adverts.

For games the graphics is the most important factor.

Now a new component like a graphics card in your machine can consume more power. The power supply unit (PSU) regulates this power and converts it from the high voltage AC you get in your wall socket into something usable by the machine. The capabilities of PSUs for a desktop office machines are designed for lighter power systems and wouldn't be suitable for high end PCs. Higher end PSUs have extra connectors to supply more power to graphics cards.

If you want to keep things simple, get a low power consumption graphics card that doesn't require extra connectors. You should be safe enough so long as the card fits into the case and has a slot on the motherboard for it.
    For example, this R7-250 should do the job.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-Boost/dp/B00FL8H08Q/

Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement