Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being laid off and thinking of going back to college full time

Options
  • 16-08-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey Guys
    As the title suggests I am being laid off in the coming months and I am thinking of biting the bullet and going back to college full time.
    I'm really looking for information about the grant and social payments which are available to mature students heading back to education full time.
    Currently I am heading into the 2nd year of the Diploma in Process and Chemical Engineering and I would like to go on to the degree level but unfortunately they do not offer this part time.
    I have been to the citizens information office and called the mature student officer at UCC but they have given me very vague information concerning what grants or social payments are available?

Any advice or information would be greatlt appreciated.

thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Being laid off, you would be possibly viable for Jobseekers Allowance. If you're on JSA for 9 months immediately before your course, then you should be able to apply for Back To Education Allowance (€188 per week, with the ability to work part-time alongside your study). I would suggest this route as you will be financially secure at an earlier date then waiting for SUSI to get around to your claim for the maintenance part of the grant.

If you have either never been to third level before, or it has been 5 academic years since you last attended (starting Sept 2015, that would mean being last enrolled in May 2010), then you are eligible for free tuition fees. It would still be SUSI to whom you apply to cover this along with the student contribution charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jalalabad

I am currently doing a diploma part time, would this stop me getting free tuition fees?
    I am paying for this myself and I haven't claimed anything back from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

As far as I know, you're sorted for free fees then. Depending on what funds you have put away/what your p60 says for this year yu may have to pay the student contribution maybe (I think their final cut-off in SUSI is something like €48,000)

Hoping my redundancy will help pay a bit for a while but still trying to find out what assistance the government give to my wife and kids if i do go back to college. Trying to get information about payments and grants etc is like pulling teeth!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You might be eligible for some form of SUSI grant, depending on your previous earnings over the year. Your redundancy does not count as earnings AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Can my wife claim JSA even though she's been at home rearing kids for years and i've been using her credits?

Advertisement