Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNF

Options
  • 15-08-2014 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

So Rob Heffernan dnf'd this morning because "when first and second were gone from me, I just didn't want third, or fourth. I came here to win, and that just wasn't to be.' His wife encouraged him to keep going and finish. He tried again, but gave up as he 'wanted to win' he 'didn't want to finish sixth.'

So, bad attitude and bad example or understandable?

Also on a personal level, have you done this and for what reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm way off his level but I don't see the point of purposely DNF'ing. Believe me, I've been in the situation plenty of times where I say to myself, F this, I'll pretend I'm injured so and bail out, this is too tough. But you're only letting yourself down, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

UM1 posted an interesting article on this a while ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90064491

I'd agree with the article about 90% and I am sure that is what happened rob today. Glad he admitted as much afterwards and didn't pretend to be injured...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

There are plenty of reason's one can have to finish the race no matter what. There are also reason's one can have for deliberately DNFing. Context is key in sorting out which factors should even come into consideration.

He's an athlete at the very top of the pile. He is the reigning world champion. That's the key context. And its very diffirent to every other current Irish Athlete. He has years and years of race experience at the top level behind him. Most of the factors that should be in someone's mind to keep them racing just don't apply here. (Gain experience, lay down a marker, prove that you can mix it at a high level and have potential to go on to podium on a better day etc etc).

His reasoning for pulling out sounds perfectly logical to me, given the context. Since he was mentally disengaging from the race he probably had more to loose than gain by finishing for finishing sake. Better to cut losses and move straight to the next target/goal (and ignore everyone dwelling on this race).

• Registered Users Posts: 54,917 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For me an intentional quit job shows a lack of respect and character at that time.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DNF'd a 10k about 3 years ago after 3km, was going backwards pace-wise from the start and just really wasn't feeling it at all. Turned out in a blood test a couple of weeks later that I was quite anaemic at the time.

Probably should have DNF'd the Great North Run 2 years ago too, after ending up in the physio tent at mile 10...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I haven't seen this race and no nothing about it but in general I don't think an athlete should DNF just because the win or gold medal is gone. I prefer the African attitude which is generally to finish no matter what. I remember seeing Tiki Gelana in the London marathon last year (I think), she got hit by a wheelchair competitor and a few kilometers later she feel way off the pace. But nevertheless she finished the race in some ridiculously slow time and there was something about that I admired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Cork Running Blog report it that it was a case of him 'having to withdraw' which is clearly not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

To me this was his goal race of the year and it's not like there are races for him to compete in every couple of weeks. To say that he wasn't interested in 3rd is a bit of a cop out for me. A medal is a medal at the end of the day and despite him being world champion it's not like he has a plethora of medals behind that.

At his age it's not like he will have too many more major championships to compete in and may come to regret that decision. Maybe he wasn't expecting it but it seems his competitors have upped their act and he wasn't prepared for it.

From a personal point of view I have had some horrible races and blow ups but never really comprehended not finishing a race however bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Bear in mind that to get to RH's level of achievement, he's done 000s of sessions and races where he has refused to quit. Particularly for endurance events, it's hours and hours of relentless training every week, year after year.

Think of how many training sessions or races that you've binned, and consider them as a proportion of the total volume of training you've done. Do the same with a top level endurance athlete, and it'll be an absolute aberration or they don't get to that level.

If after putting himself through all that consistent training, he decides not to finish, there has to be an appreciation of how serious that decision is for him in terms of his overall training and commitment to excellence.

Same with any performance at the highest level in sport. To get to the level where millions of people are dissecting your performance, you've proved yourself over and over again in front of increasingly bigger audiences.

Having said that, I've always thought that Alistair Cragg fails to finish a large proportion of his target races so I'm probably a bit of a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Not really referring to this race today but I always think that athletes should finish as high as possible as with the amount of drug failures these days, silver can became gold, 4th can become bronze fairly easily.

Obviously it's not the same as getting it on the day but still a medal is a medal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

In general I don't think you should ever DNF unless its medical. Struggling through a bad race can mentally toughen you and you learn just how much discomfort you can take. You can learn to push your comfort zone further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Ososlo wrote: »
    So, bad attitude and bad example or understandable?

Maybe a bit of all three?

I think voluntary DNFing is understandable. Even if you're not "medically unable to finish", you might be doing yourself damage, or at least setting yourself back in your training and race programme for the rest of the year by continuing, and if you've lost the motivation to compete, it seems harsh for outsiders to be insisting you finish. Certainly more understandable than quitting a round of golf in a fit of pique, at any rate.

On the other hand, "I didn't fancy it" is a crassly bad rationale. Particularly as he's essentially crapping on the idea of finishing "only" third as worthless... which somewhat casts a down on the rest of the RTE report where they're then attempting to big up the guy that's finished 16th in a PB.

Then again, other evidence is suggestive that Our Rob has a crassly bad attitude in general, so it's hardly a shock. Doubtless he'll be defended on the "ordinary bloke" grounds that have been wheeled out before. Whether people more articulate (or at least, more middle class) in their rationalisations actually have a "better attitude" or not seem problematic to determine objectively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When you're mentally struggling in a race as it sounds like he was there is no way back IMO. When you expect, or worse, other people expect you to be much further up the field the strain of not being able to push on can be horrific.

Sometimes grinding it out can be a really bad idea too...your poor performance on any particular day may have underlying causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you finish a race in fifth or sixth, at least you know exactly where you stand. If you DNF, then you can make excuses. It was likely the right thing to do for Rob at that particular point in time, but in the long run (pardon the pun) may not serve him too well.

There was one race where I probably should have DNF'ed but didn't, opting at the time to limp the last six miles of the half marathon to the finish line. I have no doubt that it prolonged my injury, but now, years afterwards, the lesson I learned was massively valuable and I haven't had a proper injury since. Two things differentiate my circumstance from Rob's though; I don't train to his standard and I'm not Rob. Just as nobody here has a right to determine whether I finish a race or not, same rule applies to Rob (including his wife Marian). He is an individual competing at world standard level, and just because some of his funding comes from public funding, it doesn't mean we get a vote in how he runs his races. We're not there when he trains every day, yet we're happy to join in the celebrations when he wins. If he performs poorly, we don't suddenly earn the right to make judgements.

But you should still be entitled to an opinion on someone representing your country.
    Rob has no problem tweeting some of his opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I don't think I'd ever DNF unless I had a niggle that I could exacerbate by carrying on or a serious injury. If a race was going badly for other reasons I'd try and learn as much as possible from it for future events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ITwo things differentiate my circumstance from Rob's though; I don't train to his standard and I'm not Rob.

3, you were injured though.

No issue with a DNF due to an injury, or the possibility of prolonging an injury by fighting to finish. Seems Rob quit because the race wasn't going his way. That to me is juts a quit job.

He is an individual competing at world standard level, and just because some of his funding comes from public funding, it doesn't mean we get a vote in how he runs his races.

Though I suppose we do (indirectly) get a vote on whether to continue said funding afterwards...

As I said, I don't think we should be getting too "judgy" about whether he should have finished the race or not. But I think there's a time and a place to say "Rob, quit flippin' talking. You're not helping yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I've never DNFed a race, and I am damn proud of that. When I've invested so much of my time, and my family's time and made a lot of sacrifices, I don't think I could bring myself to DNF. in the Berlin marathon in 08, I came very close to it, doubled over in pain with 7 miles to run, bad place to be. However, my parents, my sister and brother in law had all travelled to Germany to watch me gloriously smash sub 3, I had to keep going. I learned a lot in that race, if I had pulled out, I think I would regret it forever.

DNFing races when not being in a position to win is in serious danger of damaging the legacy of my favourite athlete, Haile Geb. I can understand the reasons, but when Rob's career is done, we would be as proud of him for his incredibly brave and gritty 4th in the Olympics as his later gold in the worlds. DNFing in a major championships race leaves a bad taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

The problem with many elite athletes is that simply qualifying iis enough. Rob is clearly his own worst critic and anything other than a win is a failure. This mindset can be negative such as here. But we live in an age where many western elites are happy with a bronze. In Kenya you don't win silver but lose gold. Sonia also had this mindset that her silver was good but not good enough. That's the way it should be at the top. However in A day where the race was 4 mins quicker than he has ever run it is never going to happen for him. The failure of this race will motivate him no end. He wants perfection and won't settle for an OK performance. I presumed he dnf just to beat himself up. It wasn't a cop out for a guy that does 200k a week.

I say a thread on facebook where his brother was commenting on. There was some guy saying that he was losing 7 0 the other night in a game and didn't give up. A BS argument. I think if people are going to judge rob then do a single day of his training and come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I was disappointed to hear the reason Rob Heffernan pulled out. Personally I'd rather be carried off a course than dnf but obviously different level to the elites..This is just a personal thing.

I bet Rob would have made a different call had he not got that Gold medal last year. I won't judge him though as I would have a huge amount of respect for his achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Unlike 99.9% of this forum Rob races to compete and not complete. He had an off day. If he got the trots like Sonia would u be happy. Some on here have little respect for our best athlete.

rom wrote: »
    Some on here have little respect for our best athlete.

Less and less by the day, as it happens.

What, is "elite sportsperson" supposed to be a blanket pass to "respect", now?

Unlike 99.9% of this forum Rob races to compete and not complete. He had an off day. If he got the trots like Sonia would u be happy. Some on here have little respect for our best athlete.
    When did this happen?? I can remember that happening to Paula Radcliffe and Catherine McKiernan but not to Sonia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

gerard_65 wrote: »
    When did this happen?? I can remember that happening to Paula Radcliffe and Catherine McKiernan but not to Sonia.

Sonia DNF'd a 5000m (?) race in the Olympics (1996?) because she had the trots. Jogged off the track and straight down the tunnel. I think she was last at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Sonia DNF'd a 5000m (?) race in the Olympics (1996?) because she had the trots. Jogged off the track and straight down the tunnel. I think she was last at the time.

Not the only thing that came straight down the tunnel that day ;)

I have respect for him. He won a world title for himself and his country. Not everyone is allowed the gold. Maybe he just got a bit too big for his boots. Quitting the race, and making out that he only is there to win as a justification is a bit lame. You could say that about any of the athletes. If they all pulled that excuse there would only one person finishing the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Taking what an athlete says, in the immediate aftermath of a traumatic episode, as the definite version of events is not reliable. When RH was interviewed he was still processing his own thoughts and emotions. We all know the feeling of endorphin rush we get after races (good and bad) but we dont have to make sense of our thoughts and emotions in the minutes after a race. I dont know about the rest of you but it can take me months to process and analyse a disappointing performance and what I feel immediately after a race can change by the second but maybe thats just me. Robert Heffernan is 35 and owes the sport or its fans nothing, hes travelled the hardest of roads with distinction. As the song says he "broke his heart for every gain" and deserves a little bit of slack and respect now when he is in a low place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

He was still competing at pb pace when he stepped out of the race. He didn't like the situation he was in. Very poor attitude in my opinion.

Advertisement