Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to have for 3rd meal of day

Options
  • 15-08-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I usually eat breakfast, then either a filling lunch/dinner as a second meal of the day, then I'm usually not hungry for hours until 9pm-ish. By then I'm too tired to make anything so I usually I have noodles, crisps or biscuits, which aren't very healthy.

Any ideas what I could have instead? It would have to be something easy to prepare. I also get bored with things like toast, or peanut butter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Omelette? It's my go to thing when I'm too lazy to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Prepare something in advance, eg. on a Sunday evening, and make enough to cover about 3 portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Why are you combining lunch and dinner into one meal? Have a lunch and then a main meal in the evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't see what's wrong in having a big meal in the middle of the day, keeps you going for the rest of it. Plus if he's too tired to cook a small meal he's hardly going to be up for cooking a big one, on even less energy...

I would eat some eggs or a tin of tuna or something small like that in the evening, OP.
    Eggs are easy enough to scramble or boil
    Or like AV said, prep some when you've time and make enough for a few portions, freeze or fridge and reheat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Omelette / Greek yogurt with berries and cinnamon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't see what's wrong in having a big meal in the middle of the day, keeps you going for the rest of it.
    The whole point of the thread is that OP says it doesnt keep him going. If someone is too tired to cook a simple meal in the evening, something is wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aoiferahmana

Make a big bowl of soup and keep it in the fridge. When you feel hungry in the evening, stick it in the microwave and add a slice (or 2) of wholegrain bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Omelette with or without fillings, boiled eggs with butter and salt, cooked chicken drumsticks, stirfried leftover chicken/salmon and veg, salad and left over chicken/salmon. All of these take less than 10 mins. If I'm totally lazy yoghurt and berries.

If you want carbs add noodles/pre cooked rice/leftover potatoes/pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pearl348

Thanks for the replies. The thing is, I'm a fussy eater and I don't actually like eggs or fish, lol. I don't eat soup unless I'm sick. So my options aren't great.

• Advertisement

pearl348 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. The thing is, I'm a fussy eater and I don't actually like eggs or fish, lol. I don't eat soup unless I'm sick. So my options aren't great.

Then just spend an hour or so at the weekend making up a batch of something you do like, put it in containers and you've little effort to go to in the evenings during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

how about fruit ,during day chop up apple ,kiwi, melon and put into bowl and cover in fridge, what about salads there are numerous menus available. being tired in evening sounds familiar,do you spend a large portion of day either standing or seated,how stressfull is your job,
    how about sugar intake and sweets, i know some are saying sugar in fruit is sugar but its naturally occurring and body can deal with it imo. a friend had serious tiredness problem and got it checked out to be told get 10 mins walk in evening before sitting into car ,she started protesting albot how could she etc etc so doc told her in no uncertain terms that bad build up of toxins in bloodstream had to be got out of system or she would have real problems, so she walked and for first few weeka felt worse and after that started to improve,walking is or can be boring ex,so she and few friends got out to ceili lessons ,i wont bore you with details but seriously your intake of crisps etc can have serious implications for your health and bread is bad too.
    2 years ago suffering from stomach problems and ulcers of mouth , throat ,bread ( unless its made from non-bleached flour) crisps 7-up, lucozade, and others were put on my banned list by hospital doctors as well as cod fish and all tinned food

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Your options are still every other edible thing in the world

Do like AV said

sandydan wrote: »
    how about fruit ,during day chop up apple ,kiwi, melon and put into bowl and cover in fridge, what about salads there are numerous menus available. being tired in evening sounds familiar,do you spend a large portion of day either standing or seated,how stressfull is your job,
    how about sugar intake and sweets, i know some are saying sugar in fruit is sugar but its naturally occurring and body can deal with it imo. a friend had serious tiredness problem and got it checked out to be told get 10 mins walk in evening before sitting into car ,she started protesting albot how could she etc etc so doc told her in no uncertain terms that bad build up of toxins in bloodstream had to be got out of system or she would have real problems, so she walked and for first few weeka felt worse and after that started to improve,walking is or can be boring ex,so she and few friends got out to ceili lessons ,i wont bore you with details but seriously your intake of crisps etc can have serious implications for your health and bread is bad too.
    2 years ago suffering from stomach problems and ulcers of mouth , throat ,bread ( unless its made from non-bleached flour) crisps 7-up, lucozade, and others were put on my banned list by hospital doctors as well as cod fish and all tinned food

Yeah I am tired all time which could be to do with eating a lot of sugar. I snack on mints everyday and have done for years I know its terrible but I'm addicted to them. Fruit in the evening though just wouldn't be filling enough.

. Fruit in the evening though just wouldn't be filling enough.

I'm not necessarily saying fruit is the answer but how do you know fruit wouldn't be filling enough or what fruit are you basing that on?

Yeah I am tired all time which could be to do with eating a lot of sugar. I snack on mints everyday and have done for years I know its terrible but I'm addicted to them. Fruit in the evening though just wouldn't be filling enough.
    i think you have just spelled out your problem,
    im no doctor health advisor or health shop owner,just make that clear.,but i got a good reason to wake up and have a friend in late 40s who is eating to overweight status, gives out to everyone who advises . knees are at point of packing up and tells everyone if you felt like me youd..., has been hospitalized and may never walk again as result of bone structure not capable of enduring surgery for knee replacement.
    i would stop eating 2 big meals per day for a start,eat at least 4-6 times just divide up portions in equal sizes and get them ready or get help to do so. maybe you are eating more than your system can cope with in one go or in my case simply, your system may be slightly intolerant to some food, not totally intolerant like as in celiac,but im slightly intolerant to wheat and would sleep in bath of cold water after eating some breads, do you know that some wheat is bleached, i did not, some fish is bleached as well im told to keep it white for appearances and h2o2 is used in milk lines in some cheese processing factories.added sugar in sweets will give energy boost and slump almost immediately, brightly coloured fruits ,and salads like peppers give feel good factor. if you can watch Dr Jillian M... ( or "that bloody woman" as she's referred to) "You Are What You Eat " tv program
    have you ever tried chopping an apple and an orange in to a bowl in order to eat it?

The fruits I would eat would be apples, blueberries, melon, kiwis etc and they're fine as a snack but I find them too watery to be filling. Not to mention...I just don't like them, too sour. I'd prefer to eat fruit throughout the day instead, which would probably be the best thing to do. I don't know about you, but I really find fruit an effort to eat, because its messy, sour and you have to peel/chop it up. I just hate it lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So, you don't eat half of the things suggested, and won't eat fruit because cutting it up takes too long?

Okay so.

Cook a batch of meals on a Sunday, or any day off you have. Freeze. Reheat as needed.

Seriously though, if you think it's too much work to cut up some fruit, I'd be scared to ask what you eat for your other meals.

The fruits I would eat would be apples, blueberries, melon, kiwis etc and they're fine as a snack but I find them too watery to be filling. Not to mention...I just don't like them, too sour. I'd prefer to eat fruit throughout the day instead, which would probably be the best thing to do. I don't know about you, but I really find fruit an effort to eat, because its messy, sour and you have to peel/chop it up. I just hate it lol.

think i know what you mean,been there,just a question do you like salt,sauces flavourings.
    i had a b****t of job to eat steamed carrots ,meat without sauce etc,chips without salt ,vinegar and flavourings, but with bleeding mouth ulcers and confined to custard and loss of 5 stone etc as they cured, i got used to it and didn't go back,
    what kind of work do you do? office or ,does it involve ,heavy lifting , repetitive monotonous type,walking around, standing in one place,do you drive to work get bus etc,don't want to know what job you do

i suppose what im trying to say is you must retrain your taste buds to get accustomed to healthy foods such as fruit and salads and vegetables,and eating slightly smaller meals but more of them, before your evening diet has bad effects on your weight etc, a treat is required now and again but id eliminate some food from your diet for a few weeks at a time to see if your energy levels pick up in case you may be slightly allergic to one or more. a little bit of exercise like walking maybe some of way home from work, or join club to socialize may also help ( physio gave me tip when legs get tired say while walking lift each leg in line with leg you stand on a few times as if stepping up on to step as high as possible a few times , i dont have explanation but it seems to make my legs feel lighter) , good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement