Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

size of chocolate bars

Options
  • 14-08-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are chocolate bars getting smaller in size. The price of the bar for the size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes happened quite a few years back when price of cocoa went through the roof.

Funny how people are still getting fatter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Your hands are getting bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

Ruu wrote: »

No they aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

mad maaaaaaaaaad de ja vu about this thread, oh hang on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

People are getting greedier

Much wants more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah. It's pretty standard for manufacturers to decrease the size of a bar gradually over time in order to keep it within a certain price limit. The classic example is how the Yorkie has shrunk from seven pieces to five pieces over the years with the pieces changing size as they went through the reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

MS.ing wrote: »
    mad maaaaaaaaaad de ja vu ab out this thread, oh hang on

Im hanging....hurry up, I've an itchy sack!!

Ruu wrote: »
    Nah. That's actually just an optical illusion caused by his penis shrinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I still want a giant creme egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

frag420 wrote: »
    Im hanging....hurry up, I've an itchy sack!!

sounds like the least of your problems. Id be concentrating on getting my feet back on the stool if I was you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

They rounded the edges of the Cardbury's Caramel bar this year as well making it even smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Yeah. It's pretty standard for manufacturers to decrease the size of a bar gradually over time in order to keep it within a certain price limit. The classic example is how the Yorkie has shrunk from seven pieces to five pieces over the years with the pieces changing size as they went through the reduction.
    Hold on a second!
    I remember each block on a yorkie having one of the letters on it, Y-O-R-K-I-E, but I've no recollection of a seventh block. Used they just have the full word printed like the do on each of the five block ones now or something else? "Y-O-R-K-I-E-!"? "Y-O-R-K-I-E-."? ..."Y-O-R-K-I-E- "?

Hold on a second!
    I remember each block on a yorkie having one of the letters on it, Y-O-R-K-I-E, but I've no recollection of a seventh block. Used they just have the full word printed like the do on each of the five block ones now or something else? "Y-O-R-K-I-E-!"? "Y-O-R-K-I-E-."? ..."Y-O-R-K-I-E- "?
    Some of us with longer memories will remember it having seven chunks in the 1990's. If I remember correctly it was a symbol of some kind on the first and YORKIE on the other six.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

How'd you even remember this stuff? I have a hard job remembering what I had for dinner yesterday, let alone what happened with a chocolate bar in the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Lidl 74% Dark chocolate - 99c and big as feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Pink snack used to have 3 fingers now only 2 :o

scream wrote: »
    How'd you even remember this stuff? I have a hard job remembering what I had for dinner yesterday, let alone what happened with a chocolate bar in the 90s.
    I remember buying a Yorkie and finding only six squared. Childhood crushed, etc.

Lidl 74% Dark chocolate - 99c and big as feck.

I used to hate lidl but sometimes it has to be said, they do have some good stuff at times. Their white chocolate is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Have noticed the Aldi "Titan" bar has shrunk lately. Time for a name change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Some of us with longer memories will remember it having seven chunks in the 1990's. If I remember correctly it was a symbol of some kind on the first and YORKIE on the other six.
    Tried googling it just there, had "what was on the seventh" typed up and every suggestion was about some seventh day nonsense.

Anyways

Maybe it went up to seven briefly in the 90s? I can't remember seven though.
    Look at the size of the blocks in that ad though! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Feckin' tiny they're going. And Chomps are now 30c. You used to be able to get four for a Euro, tell yourself "that'll last a good while now", devour them all on the way home from the shop, turn around get another four for a Euro, walk home really quickly, throw the remaining two Chomps in the freezer and it'd be a few hours before you'd crack and stuff both of them in your gob in one go.

Now you only get 3 Chomps out of your Euro and 10c change. Breaks up the whole flow of the thing.

Tried googling it just there, had "what was on the seventh" typed up and every suggestion was about some seventh day nonsense.
    I'm really stretching the memories but I'm certain they had a seven chunk Yorkie. Perhaps the original was six then they added a seventh for a while before reducing it back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

northgirl wrote: »
    Pink snack used to have 3 fingers now only 2 :o

Noticed that myself. Maybe I just got more fingering back then:o

Yeah I still don't remember sh!t, apart a single chunk filling my mouth entirely and making me dribble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cadbury large bars were 250g, then 230g, now 200g ..and the price has increased significantly from 2.00 to 3.00

Cadbury treatsize range used to be 3 for e5 on offer, now e4 each and there is less in the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yeah there were 7 pieces in it before. Then down to 6 then 5.is it still at 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I think it's a marketing ploy to get people to buy more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

cena wrote: »
    Is it just me or are chocolate bars getting smaller in size. The price of the bar for the size.
    You're getting bigger from eating too much chocolate which makes the bars seem smaller ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Never remember 7 squares on a Yorkie. Been eating 'em for thirty years.

Advertisement