Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tides

Options
  • 14-08-2014 12:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I Don't even know if this is the right forum or not.

I have a silly question on tides -- so you have a high tide and low tide. And it can be 1 ft or 20 ft etc.

My question is : where normally is the tide measured from , is it measured from a point 50 metres away from the edge of the shore or something else entirely ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

By no means a tide expert here, but from what I remember (and this could be completely wrong, been years since I done Geography in college!), it's measured from the level of the lowest lunar/astronomical tide. I reckon this is known as the low tide point maybe?

I think it's fairly scientific how it's calculated though, google might be able to throw up some more detailed answer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    By no means a tide expert here, but from what I remember (and this could be completely wrong, been years since I done Geography in college!), it's measured from the level of the lowest lunar/astronomical tide. I reckon this is known as the low tide point maybe?

I think it's fairly scientific how it's calculated though, google might be able to throw up some more detailed answer!

Thanks, would this lowest lunar/astronomical tide normally be 50 metres off shore or 500 metres off shore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Again, i'm not entirely sure how shore is defined. I've always thought of it as, for example, where the wet sand meets the dry sand.

So it'd depend from area to area. Seapoint in Dublin might have 200m+ difference between high tide and low tide whereas some areas of Lackan Strand in Mayo might only have 5-6m. It'd probably depend much on water depth and other variables like wind, exposure etc.

I wouldn't take any of the above as gospel though, i'm going purely from (dodgy!) memory here!

Advertisement