Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How are Companies making money from Big Data?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

So over the past 12 months it seems big data is the way forward and in my opinion a great direction for companies to go. I can see many ways of using "Big Data" internally in Financial Services companies in areas such as TA,FA etc and these will undoubtedly streamline the functions across all companies such as Citi, Statestreet and Bony to name a few.

My question is how are these companies making additional revenue to offset the cost of upgrading their IT ? Does anyone have any experience where clients are actually paying for products derived from "Big Data"?

Cheers
    S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Some customer behaviour models derived from big data type analysis can have huge benefits.

I'm not sure that cost of hard resources is the issue, more the cost and scarcity of human resources in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

keith16 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that cost of hard resources is the issue, more the cost and scarcity of human resources in this area.

Exactly. IT gets cheaper, people don't, especially people with these skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Companies extract patterns from big data which they can use to to push products in certain areas.

Advertisement