Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiftway BRT: Issues highlighted in public consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Swords>City will not stop at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think the NTA accept that rail is the only solution long term for the Swords corridor but there is just no capital available

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is still extremely fast, even if it doesn't stop at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It is still extremely fast, even if it doesn't stop at the airport.

It's not that fast at all, A bus to Lusk, with on board ticketing can beat the proposed average speed to Applewood

The Cat&Cage widening is underway now, and with Santry bypassed and the traffic lights just inside the M50 on the r132 reconfigured to reduce the ludicrous red time, I can't see why it would take so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Its not that fast, and remember it will have far less stops than the current service, also the 35mins is average time, the vast majority of journeys are off peak,
    What would be interesting is predicted peak journey time, and what is the average journey time at present with no, off bus ticketing, more stops and less priority, IMO you could achieve most of the advantages of BRT ( or what the NTA is calling BRT) without spending millions on bendi buses, and resurfacing, roadworks and infrastructure to accommodate bendibuses.

• Advertisement

The bendy buses really don't add any value that can't be done with double doored double decker buses, which are being rolled out at present.

cgcsb wrote: »
    The bendy buses really don't add any value that can't be done with double doored double decker buses, which are being rolled out at present.

3 doors vs 2 doors and no bottleneck stair slowing passengers boarding or alighting from upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

3 doors vs 2 doors and no bottleneck stair slowing passengers boarding or alighting from upstairs

They are also better for reduced mobility passengers, buggies,prams and people with shopping.
    But i still think the main reason they are getting them is for visual perception purposes, (It's not a bus as you know it, it's a luas on wheels).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Kumsheen wrote: »
    They are also better for reduced mobility passengers, buggies,prams and people with shopping.

Combined, those reasons are good enough.

a small problem when you consider that people exiting from upstairs can alight directly from the middle doors. If that's the only big + for buying an entire fleet of new bendy buses, then I don't think it's a valid use of money. The benefits of the bendibus are only marginal compared the enormous cost of a new fleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

cdebru wrote: »
    Its not that fast, and remember it will have far less stops than the current service, also the 35mins is average time, the vast majority of journeys are off peak,
    What would be interesting is predicted peak journey time, and what is the average journey time at present with no, off bus ticketing, more stops and less priority, IMO you could achieve most of the advantages of BRT ( or what the NTA is calling BRT) without spending millions on bendi buses, and resurfacing, roadworks and infrastructure to accommodate bendibuses.

Absolutely, peak journey time is the only one that really matters. I presumed the 35 minutes was some sort of peak time?

It is still very fast, faster than luas, I think, or certainly very close.

Absolutely, peak journey time is the only one that really matters. I presumed the 35 minutes was some sort of peak time?

It is still very fast, faster than luas, I think, or certainly very close.

Unless they specifically say peak time I would presume they are using averages to put a better gloss on spending g so much money if 35 was peak then off peak would be under 30 probably 25 which is unlikely, buses can cover a lot of distance in little time off peak especially with already limited stops. The luas on the other hand is stopping irrespective at each stop so doesn't benefit as much from off peak

a small problem when you consider that people exiting from upstairs can alight directly from the middle doors. If that's the only big + for buying an entire fleet of new bendy buses, then I don't think it's a valid use of money. The benefits of the bendibus are only marginal compared the enormous cost of a new fleet.

But everybody upstairs needs to funnel through a narrow stairwell, and then people boarding need to climb up the stairs. And people downstairs need to see if there's space upstairs etc.

The last few busses I was on, the doors are not directly at the bottom of the stairwell any more, so you have to turn left or right pausing to check if the centre doors are open, after years of them never being open being engrained into Dublin bus users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

the more i read about this, the more I cant help but think its going to be a massive white elephant. another e-voting machine fiasco! :)

Admittedly I have no expert knowledge in transport or transport planning but i just dont see the long term benefits of this.

The Swords express service for example. does that not work well? why not expand that service and maybe even subsidise it a little bit (dont know if thats possible or even legal). Would that not save millions?

Like I said I'm far far from being an expert but on this particular route I can only see it being money flushed down the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The obvious solution is to remove the left turning lane and have separate traffic light signals so that bus forward doesn't conflict with cars left signal.

And then what? Quite a lot of traffic turns left there. Where do you propose to send it?

I should, at this point, admit that I see Swords BRT as a cop out. Doing BRT because "something" must be done is really a lousy use of funds when we'll wind up having to build some sort of rail link anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Retailer wrote: »
    the more i read about this, the more I cant help but think its going to be a massive white elephant. another e-voting machine fiasco! :)

Admittedly I have no expert knowledge in transport or transport planning but i just dont see the long term benefits of this.

The Swords express service for example. does that not work well? why not expand that service and maybe even subsidise it a little bit (dont know if thats possible or even legal). Would that not save millions?

Like I said I'm far far from being an expert but on this particular route I can only see it being money flushed down the toilet

Swords Express serves Swords. Full stop.

BRT is about providing an enhanced service along the entire Swords Road corridor.

There is a massive difference.

monument wrote: »
    Combined, those reasons are good enough.

I have to say that having read the full NTA report, I'm questioning the zeal with which they are choosing articulated vehicles for such long routes.

These vehicles will have approximately 45-50 seats, which means 70-75 standees. Their own figures indicate that there will be large numbers of standees on the vehicles from Swords by-pass to O'Connell Street at peak times. That's 30 minutes standing on a bus.

Now whatever way you paint it that is not an improvement in comfort levels over the current service.

The articulated vehicles are in my view far better suited to shorter journeys, for example 20 minutes either side of the city centre, but not 45 minutes. They might be suited for the Airport-City route.

So what could be used? Well there are MAN built tri-axle double decks operating in Berlin on long distance express routes that feature:
    - Three doors (front, centre and rear)
    - Two staircases (front and rear)
    - Fully accessible
    - Seating for 83 people and space for 37 standees (the same overall capacity as the articulated vehicles).

An example is pictured here:
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ian_yvr/6954246085/

These vehicles would in my opinion deliver a more appropriate level of comfort for such a long commute, while delivering the required capacity.

The articulated vehicles could be used on the inner sections of each corridor.

Calina wrote: »
    And then what? Quite a lot of traffic turns left there. Where do you propose to send it?

It queues in the traffic lane along with straight ahead traffic and goes whenever there's a green left arrow(which by design won't conflict with a bus straight ahead green)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://137.191.240.179/documents/s12439/Item%207%20-%20Bus%20Rapid%20Transit%20Swiftway.pdf Question: Councillor D. Smith
    “To ask the Chief Executive if Fingal County Council made a submission
    to the NTA in respect of Bus Rapid Transit Swiftway and if a copy of such
    a submission could be circulated at this meeting?”
    Reply:
    Copies of formal submissions made by planning authority to National Transport
    Authority re Bus Rapid Transit for Swords are attached

http://137.191.240.179/documents/s12440/Item%207a%20-%20Bus%20Rapid%20Transit%20Swiftway.pdf

http://137.191.240.179/documents/s12441/Item%207b%20-%20Bus%20Rapid%20Transit%20Swiftway.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This whole concept seems like a massive waste of money TBH .. a typically Irish example of flash over substance.

There's no valid reason to cause massive disruption on already congested roads, and spend a fortune on glorified bendi-buses, for the minimal (if any) real benefits "CitySwift 2.0" will offer other than to be seeing to do something and justify people's positions on these expensive boards and of course the "consultants"/"fact-finding" junkets.

All that's needed here is the NTA to start really pushing DB to deliver on the routes that serve these areas. Stop fecking about with more of these smaller-than-the-AVs-they're-replacing EV/SG buses and expand the tri-axle fleet on the major arteries and install ANPR cameras capable of issuing fines to enforce bus lanes.

Far less wasteful and more effective than trying to do "LUAS-lite" IMO plus it could be done in a fraction of the time!

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This whole concept seems like a massive waste of money TBH .. a typically Irish example of flash over substance.

There's no valid reason to cause massive disruption on already congested roads, and spend a fortune on glorified bendi-buses, for the minimal (if any) real benefits "CitySwift 2.0" will offer other than to be seeing to do something and justify people's positions on these expensive boards and of course the "consultants"/"fact-finding" junkets.

All that's needed here is the NTA to start really pushing DB to deliver on the routes that serve these areas. Stop fecking about with more of these smaller-than-the-AVs-they're-replacing EV/SG buses and expand the tri-axle fleet on the major arteries and install ANPR cameras capable of issuing fines to enforce bus lanes.

Far less wasteful and more effective than trying to do "LUAS-lite" IMO plus it could be done in a fraction of the time!

Agreed with very little money, but the necessary will and commitment of those involved particularly the Gardai they could achieve what is planned by BRT, remove some stops adjust some junctions and most importantly of all actually enforce the traffic laws, stop parking, driving, stopping in bus lanes. At the moment the Gardai seem to have completely given up on actually policing parking offenses and bus lane enfringements and view it as the clampers job, where as the clampers seem to concentrate mostly on revenue protection of parking spaces and ignore cars parked in loading bays of vans parked in bus stops while an empty loading bay is 20 feet away.

I'd be a fan of camera enforcement. Regardless of how many gardaí there are, there's never one when you need one. Have a camera on the front of the bus take a snap of license plates of lane blockers, send them a €300 fine in the post. The message will be got eventually. Use the fine money to improve the bus system.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'd be a fan of camera enforcement. Regardless of how many gardaí there are, there's never one when you need one. Have a camera on the front of the bus take a snap of license plates of lane blockers, send them a €300 fine in the post. The message will be got eventually. Use the fine money to improve the bus system.

Has this been done in any other city's...? Seems like a great idea and would surly pay for itself very soon.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Has this been done in any other city's...? Seems like a great idea and would surly pay for itself very soon.

Not to my knowledge but the technology exists, the same should be done for the college green bus gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not to my knowledge but the technology exists, the same should be done for the college green bus gate.

I've seen it done in other cities but can't recall where. It is such a simple but very effective way of doing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Dub13 wrote: »

"To enforce Transit Only lanes, San Francisco uses forward facing cameras on buses. If your vehicle is stopped or parked within a transit only lane, the bus camera will take a photograph of the vehicle's license plate and a citation will be issued to the vehicle’s owner."

http://www.sfmta.com/services/permits-citations/camera-enforcement

In co-operation with Transport for London, JAI has developed a bus lane enforcement system using bus-mounted cameras that operate automatically. Today, 400 bus lane enforcement systems are installed in buses with daily operation in central London, helping to deliver a more reliable and reduced journey time.

"Ninety buses across 12 SBS Transit bus services that ply along routes with bus lanes will be fitted with video cameras which will be used to record bus lane infringements. The cameras will work in tandem with the current warden scheme and ensure that bus lanes remain clear during operating hours."
    http://sgtransport.blogspot.ie/2008/05/more-bus-lanes-from-2-june-2008.html

"The JAI cameras are built into the London buses and record twin images onto a video. One image is a close-up of the rear license plate of vehicles in the bus lane, while the other records the surrounding traffic conditions in the bus lane and the adjacent lane. The cameras thus identify both the offenders and possible mitigating circumstances that could be taken into consideration."
    http://www.jai.com/en/company/applications/buslaneenforcement

Had not heard of London using it before now?

UK councils mainly seem to use car / van enforcement, over on-bus enforcement -- car / van enforcement seems to be very effective in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Technology is not the problem here. We don't do permanent enforcement of the law in Ireland, it's just not in our culture. We'd prefer that the Gardai do occasional, high-profile enforcement of a single part of the road traffic acts and then go back to doing their "proper" jobs. Don't expect BRT enforcement to be any different.

markpb wrote: »
    Technology is not the problem here. We don't do permanent enforcement of the law in Ireland, it's just not in our culture. We'd prefer that the Gardai do occasional, high-profile enforcement of a single part of the road traffic acts and then go back to doing their "proper" jobs. Don't expect BRT enforcement to be any different.

Which is exactly why it is a huge waste of money, without enforcement it will be nothing more than an expensive QBC. If the Gardai got of their arse and enforced the parking and bus lane regulations we wouldn't need to even talk about this crappy 3rd rate brt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Do we have any transit only lanes in Dublin? Most buslanes run into not being buslanes just before junctions?

Transit only to me means no cars, ever, end to end. To my knowledge, none of our buslanes come close to being transit only.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Do we have any transit only lanes in Dublin? Most buslanes run into not being buslanes just before junctions?

Transit only to me means no cars, ever, end to end. To my knowledge, none of our buslanes come close to being transit only.

Just the few contra-flow bus lanes - Custom House Quay, Eden Quay, Upper Camden Street, St Stephen's Green East, Lower Leeson Street, Earlsfort Terrace.

Advertisement