Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robin Williams RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

DazMarz wrote: »
    The man who brought so much laughter to so many people over the years, Robin Williams, has died in his home in Los Angeles at the age of 63.

RIP Robin... :(

http://news.sky.com/story/1317081/robin-williams-dead-in-apparent-suicide

Gee that is terrible. One of my favorite actors.
    RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Robin Williams is dead at only age 63.

Im in complete shock. Love his stand up and films. Apparently he had been battling depression and suicide hasn't been ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

****. Off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I only watched Good Will Hunting the other week actually. Sad news. He'll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Just read about it. God he had some fantastic roles! Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting being two of my favorite films

RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

May the Lord have mercy on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Just saw it there on the BBC. Shocked indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Depression, what a cnut of a sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

RIP, immensely talented guy.

Played intense guys so well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I don't normally get that sad when someone famous dies (last one was probably James Gandolfini), but this sucks big time.
    Truly one of the all time greats of comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Couldn't really believe it when I saw the top posts on Reddit. Made me all sad and stuff.

Shocking news, very sad indeed. He was an early favourite of mine back during my childhood, making me laugh endlessly in many of his movies. However, his performance which had the greatest effect on me was that of his in 'Good Will Hunting'.

R.I.P.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well now that is sad and shocking news. When I was a kid I'd have watched just about anything if he was in it. Hook, Jumanji and Toys were favourites of mine growing up. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Besides his comedic performances, his dramatic roles were pretty impressive too especially in the underrated One Hour Photo and Insomnia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This is truly sad, and not sure how else to describe it. One of the most likeable people Hollywood ever had. I remember seeing him fairly recently on a talk show.

It doesn't seem believable, R.I.P.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000245/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Teaforlife

Terrible passing :( Very sad news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Very sad.

Jakob the Liar is a film that stuck with me from the first time I saw it. Had a marvelous ability to switch from comedy to serious without any struggle whatsoever.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone."

From 'World's Greatest Dad'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There's been a few tears in our household tonight.

We grew up on his movies as did our kids, his talent and charm will be truly missed.

R.I.P. Robin Williams, thank you for sharing your life with us.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHKVFoCSlGoD_NegyRG5ysZk1vHewkJKZrlcfCBEf1xfm6pgQ3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Jesus, /b are having a field day, the soul-less fcking twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

The Fisher King. Watch this film. You think you know The Zany Robin Williams? Think again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

such a massive, massive loss. His improv ability was off the charts and you only need to look at any talk show or interviews he did to see how genuine he was when it came to making people laugh. I watched his Inside The Actors Studio interview and was in tears laughing several times throughout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

This news really sucks! Robin was great, Oscar winning great!
    Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting, Good morning Vietnam, Hook and many more great films....
    All I can say is thank you Robin Williams, for making life better for film fans like myself and many others around the world with your performances. Rest in Peace!

"Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary" - Robin Williams, 'Dead Poets Society'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Still can't believe this has happened :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

An absolute legend, sick I am.... nano nano.
    RIP Ya Leg:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

dan hibiki wrote: »
    Jesus, /b are having a field day, the soul-less fcking twats.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Such sad news, a huge loss to the world, such a likeable guy and a superb actor. RIP RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Absolutely shocked and stunned, RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

krudler wrote: »
    such a massive, massive loss. His improv ability was off the charts and you only need to look at any talk show or interviews he did to see how genuine he was when it came to making people laugh. I watched his Inside The Actors Studio interview and was in tears laughing several times throughout it.

To be honest his interviews always made me feel slightly uncomfortable. Sure he was a funny bloke and extremely talented, but he just never seemed to be able to turn it off, to the point where i actually felt sorry for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Every now and then, a celebrity will pass away and of course, it is a sad moment and I feel for that persons family and fans alike.

This news, it genuinely broke my heart. I grew up watching his movies and always felt like 'your good pal, Robin'. I was properly upset at the news, and even more so by the way in which he decided that he had to leave us. I had 2 friends who did the same thing when I was in school and college, so this means to an end hits a certain chord with me.

We'll always have his movies, his laugh, his smile and his endlessly funny jokes, but the world of movies really won't be the same (to me) without this man, I feel like I owe part of my youth to him, Mrs. Doubtfire still stands in my mind from seeing it in the cinema as a boy, and the laughter that filled the cinema was fantastic.

I feel like I've lost a mate today, he made me laugh as a boy, and now cry as a man.

Thanks for everything, Robin, you were one of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This is the first celebrity death that I've actually felt personally sad about. I grew up with Robin Williams, Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook, reruns of Mork And Mindy. Then I found his standup and his more serious roles as I got older. Genuine sense of loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

RIP Robin ... Everyone loved him except himself, it seems... So sad..
    Great memories of him from my childhood... As someone named the movies above....
    Good morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society stood out for me...
    Mork and Mindy... wow, so many..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This is the first celebrity death that I've actually felt personally sad about. I grew up with Robin Williams, Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook, reruns of Mork And Mindy. Then I found his standup and his more serious roles as I got older. Genuine sense of loss.

Oddly enough, I'm the same. For any other celeb death (whether I had an interest in the person or not), it'd be a sad death but I'd not be sad myself.

Williams though, as you say, was in the movies I watched growing up and of course Mork and Mindy. As I grew older I've enjoyed his more serious roles too. I actually feel a bit sad that he's gone. RIP.

Checking IMDB, he has 3 movies in post production, including the 3rd Night in the Museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FunLover18 wrote: »

+1

He seemed like such a nice guy...everybody loved him ( it seems...)
    Cant imagine how low he must have been to take his own life like that....

Very very sad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Gutted when I heard this. One of my favourite childhood actors and his performance in Good Will Hunting was excellent. He'll really be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A genuine comedy genius. He made a lot of garbage but what actor hasn't. I'll always love the guy for his performance as Genie in Aladdin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    The Fisher King. Watch this film. You think you know The Zany Robin Williams? Think again.

Great Film, one of my favourites. He wasn't zany over the top comedic zany, like in a lot of his films, more of a my wife is dead and I've lost my mind zany.
    Himself and Jeff Bridges were excellent in it.

RIP

I never liked Williams in his comedic roles, there was always something irritating about him but in his more dramatic roles he was generally very good. Worlds Greatest Dad is the high point of his career, a dark comedy which didn't allow him to mug for the camera and was all the better for it.

Someone I know put on one of his strand up DVDs awhile back and it was pretty poor, the kind of ott antics that just felt old. There's an old joke in the comedy world that goes, one time Robin Williams was at a stand up gig and didn't like any of the material and stole the comedians watch instead.

There's no doubt he was a talented entertainer but often it felt like he was desperate to be loved, his performances on chatshows were uncomfortable at the best of times and he never seemed able to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

This is a great speech from the 2005 Golden Globes.

I also want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press for acknowledging comedy. Jim [Carrey] you know this. Normally, they look at comedians as, like, very special people... And you allow us to be in the room with the adults. You nominate us. You even have a category for us: comedy... and dancing! There's a lot of dancers that could've been up here tonight but they didn't make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Terrible news to wake up to this morning.

Like many here, I grew up watching and loved Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Aladdin and watching old episodes of Mork and Mindy. He played great parts in his more dramatic roles also in his latter career.

The world has just become a little less funny.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Very very sad.

Rest easy Robin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

so sad xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's no doubt he was a talented entertainer but often it felt like he was desperate to be loved, his performances on chatshows were uncomfortable at the best of times and he never seemed able to relax.

The same is true of most comedians - desperation to be loved is the birthplace of comedy. There's a reason so many incredibly funny people struggle with depression.

RIP Robin. You'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

This is a great speech from the 2005 Golden Globes.

I also want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press for acknowledging comedy. Jim [Carrey] you know this. Normally, they look at comedians as, like, very special people... And you allow us to be in the room with the adults. You nominate us. You even have a category for us: comedy... and dancing! There's a lot of dancers that could've been up here tonight but they didn't make it!

Wow. God I'm in tears after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Shocked when i heard this too.

others have pretty much said it all but i want to echo the sentiment that its one that really hit me. been a part of my life since mork and mindy and as well as being a remarkable comedic tallent he was an incredibly emotive dramatic actor.

gonna be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

This from Parkinson - posted it elsewhere here this morning but since there's a thread in his name, linking it here - just for the laughs, RIP a great talent !
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPz6JKGlzSI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Even the rich and famous people have their problems...
    Rip to this fantastic actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I'm sure he was a nice guy and it's sad news, but as an actor/comedian I wouldn't rate him at all.

The line 'Staring Robin Williams' over the last couple of decades was basically movie shorthand for 'This film is awful'.

Most of his roles seemed intent at crowbarring in the whole sense of 'childlike wonder' and 'mawkish sentimentality' .

His best roles imo were in Good Morning Vietnam and The Birdcage.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

sad, sad news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement