Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar addict.....how to stop?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi, am mid forties ,male with a sugar addiction.I crave sweet every evening 2 hrs after my dinner......chocolate,coke, sweets etc.Eat a healthy diet but want to cut out the sugar,any suggestions on how to reduce these cravings.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my own experience is, the more processed carbs you eat, the more sugar you want. If you had a low carb breakfast and lunch and a normal dinner you are less likely to want to hoover the cupboards in the evening. It would obviously help not to have sweets or cake in the house

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Go cold turkey, cut out all the sweets, soft drinks, cakes etc. The first few days will be really difficult but just keep yourself busy. You won't crave them all that much after a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I drastically reduced the amount of sugar I eat about 6 weeks ago, very little processed food, all fresh. Now when I try chocolate I find it disgusting, apart from high % dark chocolate, I can't believe how much it's changed how I feel about food. I rarely get cravings. I 100% agree that the less processed carbs you eat the less you want sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Eat high fat low carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I finally cut it out of my tea a couple of months ago. Only have it on hangover morning.

My tip is don't buy it. ever. I used to be mad for it too. I used to try to rationalise it as part of my diet but I just cut it out now.

The only place my bad habits return are when I visit my dad. Old teenage habits return there, straight to the fridge.

Dark chocolate is brilliant too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

downwesht wrote: »
    Hi, am mid forties ,male with a sugar addiction.I crave sweet every evening 2 hrs after my dinner......chocolate,coke, sweets etc.Eat a healthy diet but want to cut out the sugar,any suggestions on how to reduce these cravings.Thanks.

Few things have really helped me with the cravings as I am/was/getting over beng a serious addict...but Id suggest:

Watch Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Food Inc on Netflix. Absorb knowledge!

Read up about I Quit Sugar; I bought the book as I dont have an ipad or a way to read 'on the go', but educating myself was and still is absolute key. I'm not sure I am going to go whole way and do the 8 week detox but it's really opened my eyes to juts how much sugar is in stuff, and that our bodies cant handle processed crap; and so it gets stored as fat.

Crowd out. Go mental on the veg intake and somewhat on the fruit (much higher fructose levels) ; for me, a got a juicer, spent 30quid and juice loads; after a few days I promise you a glass of fresh juice will knock that craving and youll crave juice. Honest. Never thought this would be possible. And this coming from me who would eat a whole pack of Jaffas in one sitting and eat Twixes for breakfast.

Visualise; educate and learn; read food labels; learn that 'fat free' often means 'piled with sugar'. You'll realise that sugar is in everything, but that it's the good sugar we need. When you pick up a yoghurt, say, for example, like I did this morning, it was a Rachel Allen fat free I think? Something nuts like a quarter of it was sugar. Imagine that going into your body. Mindful eating too, will help.

I bought a bag of cacao nibs which in my opinion are absolute mank, but if they stop me from snacking...

Advertisement