Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earphones for working out?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hey all you fit people!

Can anyone recommend a decent set of earphones for working out.

Preferably Bluetooth, so i don't have to deal with smacking them out of my ears.

Also prefer Earbud/earphones over headphones (too bulky).

I've a budget of around €50 euro.

They'd need to at least have a battery life of 2-3 hours (a regular session, plus walk to/from gym).

Sound needs to be okay, but battery life is more important to me (i know for €50 i'm not going to be getting the top line stuff).

Any recommendations? :)

####EDIT####

It seems everyone is advising against the bluetooth headsets. Not reliable/dependable enough to bother with seems to be the general consensus.

Fair enough, i guess i'll just get a cheap set of wired ones, something that wraps around the ear.

Cheers for all the input.

Shocking that not one company has nailed a perfect sports earphone.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was going to say I love my sennheiser earbud ones but I don't know what the battery life bit is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was going to say I love my sennheiser earbud ones but I don't know what the battery life bit is about

OP was looking for bluetooth ear phones.

What are they going to be attached to? Phone? Ipod?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

sebcity wrote: »
    OP was looking for bluetooth ear phones.

What are they going to be attached to? Phone? Ipod?

Anything with bluetooth.

Galaxy S4, Ipod touch, Laptop etc. Shouldn't make a difference, bluetooth is bluetooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I used Bluetooth earphones while running, found they were not the most stable and always came loose or fell out.

I use earbuds now with a cord and to keep myself from pulling them out I stick the cable either along arm and through sleeve to ear or under shirt and out through neck to my ears. Sound is way getter than the Bluetooth too. Also you will have a better range to chose from for €50 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Plantronics BackBeat GO 2.

Should be able to get them for around €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

link_2007 wrote: »
    Plantronics BackBeat GO 2.

Should be able to get them for around €50.

These look good, just chceking the reviews on them now.

Cheers.

Any other recommendations anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I don't find Bluetooth reliable enough, any I've tried cut out once in a while.

I've tried several running earphones, ones that hook over the ears, but they've never given a very satisfactory experience - I still find the right one falls off, or I've to fiddle with them to get them to stay in place while running.
    BUT I saw these http://earhoox.com/ on Bargain Alerts a few weeks ago in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91370836, and they are brilliant.
    They fit over the Apple earbuds, and work great. Not just for running, but everyday use.
    There are two in a pack, totally worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭COH

Am buying a pair of jaybird bluetooth headphones myself

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I got the Jabra Halo 2 bluetooth headset and while its decent its a disaster in the gym. Sweaty headband and presumably because of so many Bluetooth devices in the vicinity it keeps cutting out. I use it at home cooking etc now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you can stretch your budget a bit, then the jaybird bluebuds x are fantastic. They are sweat-proof, no dangling cables and I get about 8 hours out of a single charge. They have excellent sound, not too basey.

The only negatives are:
    - The crappy microphone, there is no noise cancellation so it really makes it unusable for making calls if you are moving in any way.
    - The ear tips can be uncomfortable after prolonged usage, but you can get third party ones. I use Comply which are very very comfortable.
    - Increasing/decreasing volume interrupts playback and gives an annoying beep sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

tried an absolute ton of different ones and hands down the best if you want to actually train (all those in ear ones are total BS imo and always fall out - even bought these and they were great as long as you didnt want to move beyond 10kph or lift a barbell!!)

are these

now if they would just build the jack/cable part better so after about 7-9 months that doesnt fray and i can only hear it in one ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Transform wrote: »
    now if they would just build the jack/cable part better so after about 7-9 months that doesnt fray and i can only hear it in one ear!
    I have beefed up some cables the moment I buy them, on phone chargers as well as earphones. Gluing splints on, rubber tubing, glue, black insulation tape, theres lots of ways.

They nearly always break at that point.

I have had good inear ones, ones with "triple flanges" it was like they created a sort of vacuum.

8-pcs-4-Large-and-4-Small-Clear-Triple-Flange-Earbuds-Eartips-Set-for-Shure-SE110-SE115-SE210-SE315-SE420-SE425-SE530-PTH-SE535-In-Ear-Stereo-Earphones-Headset-0-3.jpg

Advertisement