Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house with council development contributions unpaid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Ascii wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that the developer thought he would save the 15k by not paying for sewage and water and instead bore a well and install his septic tank. He will have no planning permissions for these works and these will need to be gained. If the well comes back with poor water results or the percolation area fails on the septic treatment plant, these will all require extra money to remedy.

Why someone would install a septic tank on their site when there is a mains sewerage system outside the door beggars belief. If that decision making and the rational was used throughout the building of the house on the whole, I would be very wary of what you are purchasing.

I won't get into specifics but to be fair to the original owner it's much more complex than that.

There's no mains water nor sewerage within 100 metres of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

But you cant just do what you please outside of planning. He obviously thought to hell with it....i would be very concerned that septic tank wont have required space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Yes I understand that, just trying to figure out how long it would take if it were to be granted.

however long it takes to satify the council as to quality of sewage and water works

As of this morning he has engaged an engineer to apply for retention and is regularising his affairs with the county council via his solicitor.

A move in the right direction then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

As of this morning he has engaged an engineer to apply for retention and is regularising his affairs with the county council via his solicitor.

that certainly sounds like good news, a good indication that the vendor would like the deal to go through as well!!

Hope it all works out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Ascii wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that the developer thought he would save the 15k by not paying for sewage and water and instead bore a well and install his septic tank. He will have no planning permissions for these works and these will need to be gained. If the well comes back with poor water results or the percolation area fails on the septic treatment plant, these will all require extra money to remedy.

Why someone would install a septic tank on their site when there is a mains sewerage system outside the door beggars belief. If that decision making and the rational was used throughout the building of the house on the whole, I would be very wary of what you are purchasing.

It is very common and in lots of cases unavoidable to have to install septic tanks and drill wells in houses out the country, i know lots of people who have systems like this, one friend in particular who didnt have any access to water or sewage mains anywhere near his house. He still had to pay the council €12k in connection fees which ended up being for electricity only. When building a new one off house these fees are applicable regardless of whether you actually connect anything.

The planning would have called waste and water connections out up front so there is no possible way it was skipped. Especially when wells and septic tanks are much more expensive than simply running a few pipes out to the road! Talks of retention is scaremongering.

OP this is a straightforward one, go talk to your solicitor. Either the owner stumps up the money and clears with the coco or you negotiate a discount and you clear on their behalf. Once the owner wakes up to the fact he cant run away from these costs and will have a vendors solicitor quering them no matter who is buying the house he will look after it.

What exactly does he need retention for?

cpoh1 wrote: »
    What exactly does he need retention for?

His original planning stated water mains, but he has a well, so that, and my engineer listed a few other minor planning issues. Very slight deviations from the drawings etc.

His original planning stated water mains, but he has a well, so that, and my engineer listed a few other minor planning issues. Very slight deviations from the drawings etc.

That's bizarre, and would make no sense financially because wells are expensive to install compared to running 3/4" line to the mains. Connection fees to the council typically have to be paid regardless so no saving there.

Make sure the rest of the house is absolutely spot on and no corners cut anywhere else.

Advertisement