Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Water

Options
  • 10-08-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭

This seems to be the newest fad. Anyone any opinions. I actually love the taste of it. The lady in the health shop told me that the Vitacoco one is owned by Coca Cola (parent company) and that Go Coco is a better. I must admit I prefer the Go Coco taste (even more of a nutty smell from it)

Would love to hear peoples opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

anewme wrote: »
    This seems to be the newest fad. Anyone any opinions. I actually love the taste of it. The lady in the health shop told me that the Vitacoco one is owned by Coca Cola (parent company) and that Go Coco is a better. I must admit I prefer the Go Coco taste (even more of a nutty smell from it)

Would love to hear peoples opinions.

They were handing them out at the end of the Dublin City Triathlon last year. First and last time I'll have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I love it and drink it regularly enough. Prefer Koh coconut as well and it's usually cheaper than vita gogo. I don't know what the actual health benefits are really, it has potassium in it, but you could buy about 20 bananas for the price of 1Ltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I know it is a love it hate it type taste. I just happen to love it. Just wondering if the health benefits are actually real or just hype. Don't really like bananas so I suppose I'm getting potassium out if it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

They were handing them out at the end of the Dublin City Triathlon last year. First and last time I'll have it.

if its an isotonic yer after then milk is supposed to be the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ytjeffsy29

Hi all, I don't really know the benefits of it but my mom always said drink coconut water will cool down your body.. Tried one of this pack coconut drink (Can't recall the brand) feels like they added too much sugar.

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    if its an isotonic yer after then milk is supposed to be the best!

I wasn't after anything in particular.

So I got rid of the taste by having one of the free ice cream cones (a bit random, I thought) after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I feckin love the stuff. Only got a carton the other day for the first time and found it hard to resist not drinking it all back.

About a year ago, I managed to get powdered coconut milk in Tesco. Add a tablespoon of it to water and stir. Worked out much cheaper than the cartoned stuff but I've not idea of the nutritional profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Drinking a coconut a day over here (I'm out foreign)

You get the coconut for about a dollar. I'd say there's roughly a cans worth of juice in each coconut (300ml)

No idea if they drink them to cool them down, but it might make sense as it's feckin roasting here

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ytjeffsy29

Drinking a coconut a day over here (I'm out foreign)

You get the coconut for about a dollar. I'd say there's roughly a cans worth of juice in each coconut (300ml)

No idea if they drink them to cool them down, but it might make sense as it's feckin roasting here

Yes, I'm from Asia.. You can get one coconut for about less than a euro in some places. In KL one coconut cost abt €1.50. Maybe the weather is very hot that's why we drink it to cool down our body.. Some shop selling them with Vanilla ice cream.. It's so yummy.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jtthom

I see that the KHO brand is on offer (if you want to call it an offer, 25c off or something like that) in Supervalu. Decent brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Tastes absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Vita brand (coke Cola) have added more sugar. Chi brand is 100% natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

accensi0n wrote: »
    Tastes absolutely disgusting.
    I love all things coconut
    ...except this.

I cannot stomach the taste of it. Yuk. I'd rather drink regular water.

They were handing it out at the end of a race not so long ago and I forgot how much I disliked it and took one.

I think the fact I was bollo*xed meant I didn't really taste it, which is just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Just buy Cocnuts Crack them open and drink the Water, for 99cent in Lidi you cant go wrong,

as for an isotonic it has double the amount of Sodium then you find in any Sports drink with less of the Sugar..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

http://foodbabe.com/2014/07/15/how-to-buy-the-healthiest-coconut-water-and-avoid-the-worst/

Interesting info on how to get the best coconut water, explains the nutritional benefits too.

Advertisement