Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GK selection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've moved from begovic and krul to lloris and non starter .....
    I think spurs will tighten up under poch and Ben Davies is not a certain starter it seems ........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IanOBo wrote: »
    Anyone cautious of picking De Gea given the new tactics?

You mean the tactics that lead Holland to 0-0 draws with Costa Rica and Argentina in the WC and kept further clean sheets against Brazil and Chile? Cautious wouldn't be my word, I'm just happy he's in at 5.5m and not 6m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

roryc wrote: »
    Why is De Gea + £4m cheapie not in the poll! Seems to be by far the main choice?

For your information, DeGea + Myhill is present. It's coupled with DeGea + Foster (which is £0.5m more expensive) since I don't know whose WBA GK is guaranteed a start
    8-10 wrote: »
    Yep that and Begovic/Krul are among the most popular but not in the poll. There's some included that I'd say nobody has
    Most of the combinations above are pretty odd choices, and the poll is missing the two most obvious ones!

Begovic/Krul have an extremely poor H/A rotation (only 8). Anyway the poll was just here as a guidance. I couldn't list all the combinations anyway and gave the background for the chosen ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

iroced wrote: »
    Begovic/Krul have an extremely poor H/A rotation (only 8)

Still would get votes though because of the popularity of it for early fixture rotation (not just h/a). 14 of the choices as it stands have no votes.

Maybe a poll based on prices and we could debate? Otherwise it's just Krul/Mannone, DDG/Krul, DDG/Myhill.....and the rest.

Personally I think Begovic/Fabianski is my favourite rotation and will be utilizing it in the Ultimate game this season.

What are others doing for the Ultimate game? 2 rotating keepers and a dud? 1 and 2 duds? Or 3 rotating?

I think a good strategy might be to go for 2 that rotate, and 1 backup that is backup to one of those 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Going with De Gea and a 4 mil cheapie. Had planned to go Krul/Mannone with Shaw in defence but Shaw now looks a bit if a risk so going with De Gea and Coloccini/O'Shea in defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Lemlin wrote: »
    Going with De Gea and a 4 mil cheapie. Had planned to go Krul/Mannone with Shaw in defence but Shaw now looks a bit if a risk so going with De Gea and Coloccini/O'Shea in defence.

What are you doing re Chelsea Lemlin?

Oh, and Van Anholt could be better than o Shea possibly?

FHFC wrote: »
    What are you doing re Chelsea Lemlin?

Oh, and Van Anholt could be better than o Shea possibly?

John Terry. He gets points for a goal even when he doesn't score, what more could you ask for!?

Van Anholt is an unknown to me so I'll stick with Johnny for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamalcolorado

Thanks FHFC, Čech + 4.0 it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

For your information, DeGea + Myhill is present. It's coupled with DeGea + Foster (which is £0.5m more expensive) since I don't know whose WBA GK is guaranteed a start

Begovic/Krul have an extremely poor H/A rotation (only 8). Anyway the poll was just here as a guidance. I couldn't list all the combinations anyway and gave the background for the chosen ones.

I honestly totally missed the De Gea + Myhill one. It's pretty confusing when its coupled with another keeper of different value! Hard to figure out what people are voting for. Doesn't look like the results give much insight with 3/4 of the answers not picked unfortunately... Would imagine a lot of people with end up De Gea + £4m cheapie. United's opening fixtures are too good to miss and there is too much uncertainty at the back to go with a defender. De Gea was the first player I picked this season. Would imagine Krul and Mannone are the second most likely? The poll at least shows this is a popular choice.

As for the poster above - Cech is an unnecessary risk IMO, especially with a £4m non-playing sub. You might not get a heads up as to when he will return and could end up with 0 from your keeper in week 2 and a waste of a transfer the following week.

• Advertisement

Thanks FHFC, Čech + 4.0 it is.

I wouldn't. As Rory says this news pretty much rules out the Chelsea keepers for me unless Courtois is announced fit by the weekend.

I think Courtois was most likely first choice so now Cech could start GW1 and then be dropped at any time.

I wouldn't. As Rory says this news pretty much rules out the Chelsea keepers for me unless Courtois is announced fit by the weekend.

I think Courtois was most likely first choice so now Cech could start GW1 and then be dropped at any time.

I agree. No point taking risks at the start of the season. The most important thing is having players who start. Premium players who don't will drop rapidly in value as people panic and transfer them out.

I remember a few years back the question was Hart or Given at City in similar circumstances. I steered clear but expected Mancini to stick with Given which he didn't do in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

8-10 wrote: »
    Maybe a poll based on prices and we could debate? Otherwise it's just Krul/Mannone, DDG/Krul, DDG/Myhill.....and the rest.
    I honestly totally missed the De Gea + Myhill one. It's pretty confusing when its coupled with another keeper of different value! Hard to figure out what people are voting for. Doesn't look like the results give much insight with 3/4 of the answers not picked unfortunately... Would imagine a lot of people with end up De Gea + £4m cheapie. United's opening fixtures are too good to miss and there is too much uncertainty at the back to go with a defender. De Gea was the first player I picked this season. Would imagine Krul and Mannone are the second most likely? The poll at least shows this is a popular choice.

Yeah the poll is a bit of a mess. I realised it once I posted it... I guess I should have gone for my original idea which had 3 options (a top GK + a £4.0m one ; a top GK + a cheap guaranteed to start one ; 2 cheap rotating ones). Anyway the debate is open which was my main aim ;)

@ 8-10 : About the Begovic/Krul rotation, I agree with you but I think people who will go for this one will have to wildcard early, which could be a problem if their team happen to have already the popular early performers (low odds I agree but you never know...).

As for the popular DeGea + £4.0m. Who is your £4.0m keeper guys?
    We can choose between
    1. Myhill (WBA)
    2. Elliott (NEW)
    3. Given (AVL)
    4. Gilks (BUR)
    5. Hamer (LEI)
    6. Murphy (QPR)
    Is any of them guranteed to play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah the poll is a bit of a mess. I realised it once I posted it... I guess I should have gone for my original idea which had 3 options (a top GK + a £4.0m one ; a top GK + a cheap guaranteed to start one ; 2 cheap rotating ones). Anyway the debate is open which was my main aim ;)

@ 8-10 : About the Begovic/Krul rotation, I agree with you but I think people who will go for this one will have to wildcard early, which could be a problem if their team happen to have already the popular early performers (low odds I agree but you never know...).

We can choose between
    1. Myhill (WBA)
    2. Elliott (NEW)
    3. Given (AVL)
    4. Gilks (BUR)
    5. Hamer (LEI)
    6. Murphy (QPR)

I wouldn't think so but I have Eliot in case Krul leaves but that's looking more and more unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

We can choose between
    1. Myhill (WBA)
    2. Elliott (NEW)
    3. Given (AVL)
    4. Gilks (BUR)
    5. Hamer (LEI)
    6. Murphy (QPR)

Probably not, but I think Ben Hamer should be the FSA's 4.0m keeper of choice, based on his epic beard and also on the endless pun possibilities that a name like Hamer brings. I'm already thinking of changing from Mannone and Krul to DDG and Hamer for these 2 reasons alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I'm going with Speroni and Krul (9.5M)

Speroni played a blinder for me once Pulis took over at Palace last season. Pulis consistantly does it in terms of defence so going there again. Krul can rotate with him for home/away and Newcastle have a relatively handy opening 6.

All that said - DDG is only 0.5M dearer than Speroni and they have a dream start but not convinced by the united defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Coat22 wrote: »
    I'm going with Speroni and Krul (9.5M)

Speroni played a blinder for me once Pulis took over at Palace last season. Pulis consistantly does it in terms of defence so going there again. Krul can rotate with him for home/away and Newcastle have a relatively handy opening 6.

All that said - DDG is only 0.5M dearer than Speroni and they have a dream start but not convinced by the united defence.

Would you not go for Green over Krul, as Palace and QPR rotate really nicely early on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Would you not go for Green over Krul, as Palace and QPR rotate really nicely early on

Palace and Newcastle rotate nicely too

Giving DDG some serious thought now based on United’s first 10 games or so but would need to sacrifice an outfield player to make it happen.

This will go to the wire on Saturday morning I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Probably not, but I think Ben Hamer should be the FSA's 4.0m keeper of choice, based on his epic beard and also on the endless pun possibilities that a name like Hamer brings. I'm already thinking of changing from Mannone and Krul to DDG and Hamer for these 2 reasons alone!

I'm going with Hamer over Myhill. Myhill has high ownership and could be in for a price drop once people realise he won't play. Last thing I want is to be stuck with a 3.8m non playing GK, especially as I plan to change my GKs using one of the WIld Cards.

Benimar wrote: »
    I'm going with Hamer over Myhill. Myhill has high ownership and could be in for a price drop once people realise he won't play. Last thing I want is to be stuck with a 3.8m non playing GK, especially as I plan to change my GKs using one of the WIld Cards.

I'd imagine 90% of people who have Myhill are on a one top keeper strategy and have no expectations of him playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I'd imagine 90% of people who have Myhill are on a one top keeper strategy and have no expectations of him playing.
    Unless people wildcard and switch to a rotation strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Of the people on here I'd agree. However, a lot of casual players will have him as he was the highest scoring 4.0 keeper last year. Once they realise that Foster is starting they may dump Myhill.

Are those of us hoping to use Courtois as the most secure 6m way into the Chelsea defence over the line yet do yis think??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2723372/Thibaut-Courtois-winning-battle-Petr-Cech-Chelsea-s-No-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,861 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Are those of us hoping to use Courtois as the most secure 6m way into the Chelsea defence over the line yet do yis think??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2723372/Thibaut-Courtois-winning-battle-Petr-Cech-Chelsea-s-No-1.html
    To be honest. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

I'm going for Howard and Krul. Krul is ridiculously cheap this year, and hopefully Howard can repeat some of last years performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Krul and Foster rotation

“I played Thibaut for 90 minutes because he was injured and didn’t play last weekend. Petr played two matches in Turkey and the first half against Ferencvaros. Since he arrived Courtois has only played 45 minutes against Werder Bremen, he needs to play. The fact Courtois played 90 minutes wasn’t me saying he’s first choice for Monday, it’s because he didn’t play the last three matches. The players don’t know (who’s first choice). When will I tell them? On Sunday.”

You're some kid Jose, some kid!! :)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2014/08/13/5032052/chelsea-tell-cech-to-find-new-club-as-courtois-is-made-no1

This carried on a couple of websites but no reliable newspaper sources. All pretty much speculation but it's how I'd strongly expect it to go personally.

I think Courtois starting on Monday is more certain than any of their 6m defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anyone having any doubts over picking De Gea? Have had him + 4M cheapie for the last while in my draft, but now seriously considering the rotating pair of Green/Speroni as an alternative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Krul is my first choice so who's the better rotation option:

Mannone or Ben Foster?

Advertisement