Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Well, did anyone from here got 970 or 980 and can share their experience? I am thinking more and more about 970. Playing WoT in 3 screens is really fun, but 680 cant cut it. :(

I have a 980 landing tomorrow, will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder if it's worth buying one of those cheap win 8 keys just for that? I am in no rush in using 8, but win 9 in the future for 20 quid sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I wonder if it's worth buying one of those cheap win 8 keys just for that? I am in no rush in using 8, but win 9 in the future for 20 quid sounds good.

Sounds good to me too. I wonder if we do will we have to install Win 8, then update to 8.1/9 through the store which could be a bit of a pain down the road. Still sounds like a great deal, and with this kind of sales model we may see Windows 10 before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sounds good to me too. I wonder if we do will we have to install Win 8, then update to 8.1/9 through the store which could be a bit of a pain down the road. Still sounds like a great deal, and with this kind of sales model we may see Windows 10 before too long.

If Microsoft are consistent then 9 will be great and 10 will be ****e. Hang on for 11! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

So has anybody else noticed this eDesigner dude selling pc's on adverts?

Clearly avoiding paying VAT somehow. It's the only way he could be pricing the way he is.

What's the plan? Profit before revenue finds out then skip the country?

Kinda ****ty for anyone else trying to sell anything at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

BloodBath wrote: »
    So has anybody else noticed this eDesigner dude selling pc's on adverts?

Clearly avoiding paying VAT somehow. It's the only way he could be pricing the way he is.

What's the plan? Profit before revenue finds out then skip the country?

Kinda ****ty for anyone else trying to sell anything at the moment.

Saw him alright. Not sure how he his doing it. Interested to know though.
    Are you still doing custom builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he definitely isn't paying full whack for windows licenses either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

MRTULES wrote: »
    Saw him alright. Not sure how he his doing it. Interested to know though.
    Are you still doing custom builds?

Not anymore, it's pointless with his pricing. He's not paying VAT so that's 23% he saves on the buying price and he's not charging VAT to customers either.

It's the only way he could be doing it.

That has a knock on effect for anyone selling second hand stuff as well since his new pricing will force people to lower their second hand pricing.

Good deals for buyers, ****ty for anyone selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Ya, seems like he is abusing some registered VAT number. Can't compete with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

This is something i've never understood. Why would someone buy a new build off adverts rather than self build or getting the likes of hardwareversand to build it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

deceit wrote: »
    This is something i've never understood. Why would someone buy a new build off adverts rather than self build or getting the likes of hardwareversand to build it.

I've often questioned it but you have to remember not every one is comfortable, building computer to them it seems a lot more difficult then it actualy is...

I've often questioned it but you have to remember not every one is comfortable, building computer to them it seems a lot more difficult then it actualy is...
    Then just get hardwareversand or the likes to build it for you.
    You get the peace of mind of a big retailer that is not going to disappear when issues arise and its going to be cheaper as then not another middle man to take a piece of the pie.
    Can always get someone on here to build the pc for free as i'm sure most would do this, me included if i was asked as I enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Curious enough, I did wonder about eDesigner.

I sell PC's occassionally but always 2nd hand or at least a half way point between new and 2nd hand, no money in building new and selling - especially not when you've got people like that!

I just enjoy building them really as a hobby, don't particularly care if I make nothing as long as I'm not actually loosing money. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have a 980 landing tomorrow, will report back.

So I had 3 x 680 in 3 way sli and swapped for one 980. I wait until a single new card can give the dual sli performance before upgrading, and also I was bored. Some nice chap from adverts baught all the 680's in one go. Have been using a 8800gt from 2006 (my fiurst proper graphics card and still going strong) for a few days.

Doing some testing and overclocking, overclocks likes mad and totally silent. Games well. Single card solutions are always smoother than SLI across more games, but in general I am not noting any performance loss over the 680's

Firestrike on 3 x 680 = 14741
    Firestrike on 1 x 980 overclocked = 13328

Not a lot of difference. So far so good. Will keep testing.

one of my lecturers was trying to claim that 'any pc' wouldn't be able to handle X or Y type of video footage, when I hinted at the fact that he's wrong his questions were what is the boot up time of my pc, when would I have to upgrade again, and then went off on a rant how windows 7 was the worst windows os to date and that XP pro would be the only version he'd ever use ...and followed it up with "as an editor".

Then said that his 2008 mac pro was still going strong. Yeah ok, fairly sure my 3930k at 4.5ghz and 32gigs of ram with a 580's cinebench score wipes the floor with a 6 year old mac pro. (2008 mac pro gets 656.. I get 1200 but have got 1300 at 4.7ghz.. ) And since we're editing dnxhd footage you could edit it on a single core laptop if you had enough IO throughput anyway.. that's the point in dnxhd as a wrapper.

nearly had an aneurysm holding back from saying anything about how wrong he was :{

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I had 3 x 680 in 3 way sli and swapped for one 980. I wait until a single new card can give the dual sli performance before upgrading, and also I was bored. Some nice chap from adverts baught all the 680's in one go. Have been using a 8800gt from 2006 (my fiurst proper graphics card and still going strong) for a few days.

Doing some testing and overclocking, overclocks likes mad and totally silent. Games well. Single card solutions are always smoother than SLI across more games, but in general I am not noting any performance loss over the 680's

Firestrike on 3 x 680 = 14741
    Firestrike on 1 x 980 overclocked = 13328

Not a lot of difference. So far so good. Will keep testing.

Cheers bud. That looks like a great replacement. I guess more Vram will show you even more benefit though. 680 is still a lovely card, but this god damn vram. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You're wrong. An apple logo on the side unlocks the deludo-hyperbolic ability which allows the Intel CPUs to process at five times their normal rate, meaning that a 2008 system from Apple easily matches up to a top of the line current machine. :cool:

could be a good option for raid 10 106 euro per 3 tb, 4 drives so I'll have 6tb of usable hopefully safe data.

Since it'll be sequential reads (video..) I should be okay with reds 5400rpm? or would it be worth the extra 100eu to go with 3 wd blacks? 3 year warranty vs 5 year also.

tonnes of money for a not very fun upgrade at all, but it has to be done

Then its time to go FINALLY get my h100 replaced, new case fans and then fix the dodgy ram and I'll be good for another couple of years. and maybe a new gpu. just maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

New server parts ordered! :D

Same components as ED E (C2750D4I, DS380), though I'm using Silverstone's 300W Bronze PSU, and 16GB of RAM.

Due on Friday. Will post pics and the like over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    New server parts ordered! :D

Same components as ED E (C2750D4I, DS380), though I'm using Silverstone's 300W Bronze PSU, and 16GB of RAM.

Due on Friday. Will post pics and the like over the weekend.

Had to outdo me didnt ya! :pac:

*Orders another 24GB*

Was originally going to go with 8, but I've started playing Space Engineers over the last few days (originally played it way back, when it was more of a tech demo) and it's fantastic, so I'll be sticking a server up for that as well, and apparently it really eats RAM. I'm more worried about the CPU being a bottleneck, to be honest.

ED E wrote: »
    Had to outdo me didnt ya! :pac:

*Orders another 24GB*
    Being like that maybe I should shouldn't point out that i'm upgrading my server to 96gb ram and two 6 core cpu's :) (I just need the motherboard to finish it.)

deceit wrote: »
    Being like that maybe I should shouldn't point out that i'm upgrading my server to 96gb ram and two 6 core cpu's :) (I just need the motherboard to finish it.)

Listen, there's everyone else... Then there's you.

Has anyone else tried out windows 10? If so what do you all think of it so far? I'm really enjoying using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Got my MSI 970. Absolutely love it so far. Not multi screening and only gaming at 1920x1080, but able to run Shadow of Mordor, with the ultra settings patch installed, on ultra/high with an average of 60fps.
    Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Monotype wrote: »
    You're wrong. An apple logo on the side unlocks the deludo-hyperbolic ability which allows the Intel CPUs to process at five times their normal rate, meaning that a 2008 system from Apple easily matches up to a top of the line current machine. :cool:

Plus anything made on Mac is at least 30% more creative on average VS the same content made on a PC....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

New Silverstone FT05 finally starting to turn up this week. Not in Europe yet though. Looks interesting. US reviews should be up soon hopefully.

http://www.playwares.com/xe/44403661

Frozencpu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got a new mobo and cpu today, was a good experience installing them

Only 1 word I can use to describe the i7 4790k, BEAST! :D Should be set for a long time with it

My previous PC was one I got help from here, over 4 years ago, a i5 760 and gtx 460, the parts are still perfect. Maybe I`ll use them to build a mame machine or something similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Ive been tempted to use my old XPS 630i case to build andother PC on the side. Have my old GTX 660 OC knocking about now that I have my GTX 970.

Not too sure how the other half will be when I mention I might do that.
    The 630i case is a bit weird so I'll have to do some research into which mobo manufacturers fit the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement