Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much water do you drink?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Per day? Whilst running?

I drink over 3L per day but as I don't run very long runs I don't usually bring water with me. I'd only take a little bottle for runs over 9k.

Just wondering what other runners do for hydration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Per day? Whilst running?

I drink over 3L per day but as I don't run very long runs I don't usually bring water with me. I'd only take a little bottle for runs over 9k.

Just wondering what other runners do for hydration.

Wow!

I'd say on a normal day about a litre. On big running days I hope a bit more. I probably don't drink enough but then again, I don't feel thirsty either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I try to drink 2ltres,

I don't bother with any water on runs unless the run is over 10miles (or its seriously hot and over 5miles), did a 20mile run last weekend and only took around 600-700ml's with me. Got on just fine (I didn't bother with gels etc)

As long as you properly hydrate you shouldn't need water at all for the first hour of running afaik,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Cabaal wrote: »
    I try to drink 2ltres,

I don't bother with any water on runs unless the run is over 10miles (or its seriously hot and over 5miles), did a 20mile run last weekend and only took around 600-700ml's with me. Got on just fine.

As long as you properly hydrate you shouldn't need water at all for the first hour of running afaik,
    snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

The 1950's US research on drinking 2l has been debunked, or at least misunderstood, as it includes water content in fruit, veg etc. This thing of going off lashing in litres is ridiculous. Where it is important is after a run / training. If you lose water through sweat then you should replace in a 2:1 ratio, e.g. start of run 70kg, end of run, 69kg, therefore drink 2l with electrolytes such as a small pinch of salt. Otherwise its hokum to be sitting in work pouring water in and expecting some sort of benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I don't drink more than a litre of water a day I'd say. Drink about 4 - 6 cups of tea.

I don't drink on runs less than 16 - 18km. I would get thirsty near the end of those runs, but that's normal.

On a longer run, I would take the same amount of water as in a race of the same distance which would be a sip or 2 of water every 5 or 6 km or so. Probably a cup of waters worth over a half marathon distance.

I ran 25km on Saturday with 2 0.1 Litre gel bottles on a belt with water in them. I should have brought a 3rd as it was quite hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Otherwise its hokum to be sitting in work pouring water in and expecting some sort of benefit from it.

Except that I get really thirsty, and as I don't drink anything but water (and the occasional decaf coffee), I drink a lot of it. I also find the more water I drink the fewer headaches I get, and I used to get headaches a lot! Ditching caffeine, chocolate and fizzy drinks helped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Except that I get really thirsty, and as I don't drink anything but water (and the occasional decaf coffee), I drink a lot of it. I also find the more water I drink the fewer headaches I get, and I used to get headaches a lot! Ditching caffeine, chocolate and fizzy drinks helped too.

The more water you drink the more you excrete leading to a viscous cycle. That's why many athletes in sports with weight classes will drinking massive amounts of water between 72-24 hours prior to their weigh in. They cut it down to as little as possible 24 hours before weigh in but the body hasn't yet acclimatised to the decrease in intake and keeps excreting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Its very simple... don't drink unless your thirsty. If you're thristy then drink. We have evolved to have an excellent system for regulating our water intake, and thirst is your body's way of letting you know when you need to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The 1950's US research on drinking 2l has been debunked, or at least misunderstood, as it includes water content in fruit, veg etc. This thing of going off lashing in litres is ridiculous. Where it is important is after a run / training. If you lose water through sweat then you should replace in a 2:1 ratio, e.g. start of run 70kg, end of run, 69kg, therefore drink 2l with electrolytes such as a small pinch of salt. Otherwise its hokum to be sitting in work pouring water in and expecting some sort of benefit from it.

Problem with that is that water derived from this source require the digestive system as well as other chemical reactions to take place which require water at a cellular level. You also have to take into account things such as alcohol and caffeine consumption in the average Irish lifestyle. When these are all taken into account I would imagine that though the figure in stand alone research might be excessive when you take in other variables sounds about right for the average sedentary Irish person without accounting for exercise

Enduro wrote: »
    Its very simple... don't drink unless your thirsty. If you're thristy then drink. We have evolved to have an excellent system for regulating our water intake, and thirst is your body's way of letting you know when you need to drink.

Roughly 60-70 % of Irish people have been found to have some level of chronic dehydration which correlates to the level of renal disease which is one of Europes higher (pretty alarming given our average temperatures)*

* other factors obviously come into play but more a way of highlighting that hydration level discreprancies amongst cultures can be wide ranging

@OP Ideally I would aim to be drinking about the same as you atleast not always the (though I do have a particularly high caffeine intake)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

ecoli wrote: »
    Roughly 60-70 % of Irish people have been found to have some level of chronic dehydration which correlates to the level of renal disease which is one of Europes higher (pretty alarming given our average temperatures)*

* other factors obviously come into play but more a way of highlighting that hydration level discreprancies amongst cultures can be wide ranging

Have you got good link for that? (Asking as I want to read the research out of interest). The first thing that strikes me off the top of my head is that it could be related to our levels of alcohol consumption. Would be interesting to see the nature of the research.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Have you got good link for that? (Asking as I want to read the research out of interest). The first thing that strikes me off the top of my head is that it could be related to our levels of alcohol consumption. Would be interesting to see the nature of the research.

I have a hard copy somewhere at home i'll try and dig out or find an online link to it.

Agree that alcohol and coffee do play a major role in it without a doubt but I think these cultural variables need to be taken into account as we do as often diuretics can almost trick the mind into thinking its hydrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'd sip on about 3 litres of water a day whether thirsty or not. Could that have adverse effects?
    I haven't noticed any except for having to pee every 15 mins but wondering now if it's excessive and bad in some way.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2-3 litres a day sounds about right for me. I'd generally go through 3 x 750ml bottles of water at work, just sipping away at the desk, then wouldn't drink a huge amount in the evening unless I'm cycling and it's hot.

I'm ok with drinking 3L, doesn't seem to have any bad effects on me and has done me good as I mentioned, with the headaches. I'm happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'd sip on about 3 litres of water a day whether thirsty or not. Could that have adverse effects?
    I don't think so. Someone is probably going to mention hyponatremia, but it really isn't an issue in everyday life (or every day running), where it's better to err on the side of slightly too much hydration rather than slightly too little imho. There'd be days when I'd drink 3 l as well, though not every day. Thirst is a good indicator, but I find myself stuck at my desk at times, and only after a while realise I've been thirsty for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't get this ingesting water for the sake of it. It's like some new craze. People drinking water all day long. Of course, stay hydrated, but obey your thirst. Ingesting when not thirsty or not really in need surely can't be all that good for you. Puts a strain on the kidneys. I would ingest between 1-2 litres a day. That includes water from all sources. I know some people ingesting 2-3 liters a day not including tea and coffee and water from foods. Non active people too.:eek:

As fro running. I think it's safe to ingest water when you start to feel thirsty or start to overheat. No need for water in a short race, unless you are taking a long time to complete it. Every one is different, but the average fit person probably needs 500 mls of water for every 60-70 minutes of running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

"Psychogenic polydipsia is the psychiatric condition in which patients feel compelled to drink large quantities of water, thus putting them at risk of water intoxication. This condition can be especially dangerous if the patient also exhibits other psychiatric indications (as is often the case), as the care-takers might misinterpret the hyponatremic symptoms"

Summary: Drink lots of water and your nuts.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

walshb wrote: »
    I don't get this ingesting water for the sake of it. It's like some new craze. People drinking water all day long.

Yes but do you have a youthful fresh dewey complexion like I have from my 3L a day?:pac:

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yes but do you have a youthful fresh dewey complexion like I have from my 3L a day?:pac:

That's just your natural look I would imagine!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

ecoli wrote: »
    I have a hard copy somewhere at home i'll try and dig out or find an online link to it.

Agree that alcohol and coffee do play a major role in it without a doubt but I think these cultural variables need to be taken into account as we do as often diuretics can almost trick the mind into thinking its hydrated.
    With respect ,I'm not aware Of diuretics having an effect or 'almost ' on 'the mind ' they all act on the glomerular apparatus in the kidney only and not centrally in the pituitary , hypothalamus or cerebral cortex .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

walshb wrote: »
    That's just your natural look I would imagine!;)
    walshb turning on the charm!! Pigs are flying:p

gerard_65 wrote: »
    walshb turning on the charm!! Pigs are flying:p

I do my best to try and compliment at least one person each day. Job done for today. Roll on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My view is that you don't wait until you're thirsty because at that point you're already dehydrated.

I haven't felt thirst all day but I have still failed the pee test this evening.

Also, I get daily e-mail newsletters about running stuff and it's odd how often I get e-mailed about the very thing tha's the heat of discussion on that very day. Today, my newsletter was all about beverages - not just water, lots of stuff

http://www.runnersworld.com/hydration-dehydration/the-very-best-beverages-for-runners?cm_mmc=NL-Nutrition-_-1792592-_-08072014-_-The-Best-Drinks-for-Runners

Oops69 wrote: »
    With respect ,I'm not aware Of diuretics having an effect or 'almost ' on 'the mind ' they all act on the glomerular apparatus in the kidney only and not centrally in the pituitary , hypothalamus or cerebral cortex .

Would the stimulation of the trigeminal nerve through the consumption of either substance not illicit a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Laois_Man wrote: »
    My view is that you don't wait until you're thirsty because at that point you're already dehydrated.

I would agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Laois_Man wrote: »

That's a myth that has been debunked.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance-ebook/dp/B0081U6WWG/

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

That's perfect, just drink when thirsty, thirst is the body's natural water regulator.

Who knew that simple question would be controversial! But, interesting debate! I love it!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Oops69 wrote: »
    I don't think the effect would necessarily need to be as direct as that. If you are a regular drinker of coffee or alcohol, then it's possible your body just gets habituated to being dehydrated to some extent.
    That's a myth that has been debunked.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterlogged-...dp/B0081U6WWG/
    I haven't read the book, but my understanding is that Noakes is talking specifically about taking on water during endurance events, not drinking 2-3 litres of water during everyday life (as a runner, in warm weather that we are unaccustomed to). These are very different situations. When racing you are sweating and losing electrolytes. If you only replace fluids with water, you can get this EAH condition (dangerous swelling of the brain). But, that's not going to happen by drinking moderately more than you need, in every day life. All that happens is you'll go to the toilet more often. Your kidneys regulate the electrolyte levels, because that's what they are designed to do. TBH, this idea that it puts your kidneys under strain seems highly suspect to me.

Advertisement