Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As an aside, any word locally about when the various phases of this are to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Westernview

Whatever about the walls the junction looks much improved in terms of safety. I remember coming off the Islandeady road one evening last year, onto the N5, and having the discomfort of poor sight lines while having to use my handbrake to exit the ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

To be fair the other issue was IMO justified, as it was proposed to close the road for 9 months and it would have been a very long reroute for residents of Islandeady to get to the school on the currwnt N5. But this current issue seems very small and almost petty. As you note the road is a lot safer and better sightlines then what was there.

@marno21 Last public comment was that the northern section from Turlough to current N5 Westport Road was to open in February, as they were awaiting signage. Lots of signs erected in last couple of weeks and to my untrained eye it looks ready, so not sure what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The wall they’re moaning about was only on one side, but honestly, I think it’s unfair to blame the whole village - this sounds like one or two people in the area with a grievance.

I'd well believe that. Often it's just a few people behind these issues. They are on about some embankment that needs levelling now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't see the big deal about the wall but I also don't see how it would cost a quarter of a million looking at those pics.

All the big name councillors are really running with this issue too so there must be something to it.

Build the feicing wall and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The embankment they are on it about is the field to the left of the road where they dumped the topsoil.

Late February/Early March for the breaffy to N5 west junction. So I'd say a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The N5 project has to be built in accordance with the planning permission, including that section of wall. If it is required by the planning permission, it should be reinstated. If that section of wall in on the drawings and there is no condition relating to it, its an issue for the council, not this project. I wonder are some people just trying to make things difficult because they feel put out by the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wouldn't call a traffic diversion put out. Spare a thought for the people in breaffy who had rocking breaking going on for months.

Looks like the councillors are organising a site meeting to try and sort out the issues. The field with the topsoil is much higher than it was alright but I would have thought the landowner would prefer it as it is now compared to the previous low lying field full of rushes.

Again it goes back to planning I suppose and what the final countours are supposed to be.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/02/23/site-meeting-to-discuss-mayo-communitys-concerns-following-n5-works/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

A five minute rant from a local councillor on the Islandeady wall and the road at Castlebar Rugby Club. I agree with pretty much everything she is saying, but she is relying a bit too much on hyperbole IMO 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The potholes in that photo aren't even on the road, the road runs to the right of them - passing traffic would never drive over that bit of tarmac, which is outside the rugby clubhouse.

It feels like because the project is nearly finished now a few opportunists are trying to use it as a route to complain about everything and anything in the general area of the road they're not happy about or would like to be improved. They shouldn't be given an inch on any of this stuff, other than what is specified in the planning permission details. Because if they do it will just encourage more opportunists to do likewise and it will drag on for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I'd imagine a CE scheme would have the Islandeady issue rebuilt fairly quickly if needed. It's not going to hold up the project opening, you would hope.

I'd say the February timeline is gone and I wouldn't hold much hope for March either. They are probably hoping the Westport side get their end completed so it all opens together. Was it April they said..? April 30th no doubt. Seems to be a lot of work still ongoing on the overpass on Ballinrobe road. They love the temporary traffic lights out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Can the road still be cycled at the weekends? Wouldnt mind taking a spin for a look

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

Cycled the full length of it over the weekend (Turlough to Ballinrobe rd on Sat and Ballinrobe rd to Newport rd, Westport on Sunday). It's pretty easy to slip in on foot or with a bike at any of the junctions where there are still gates or barriers up, but room at side to slip through. Plenty of walkers and cyclists out and about.

In terms of ready to open, from what I could see, the vast majority of signage seems to be now in place on the Turlough to old N5/Westport rd roundabout so it's likely that that section could be ready to open within the next month. On the other hand still a lot of work to be done on Westport stretch from Sheeaune to the Newport rd. Central and side crash barriers being installed, drainage final fix being sorted, very little signage as of yet and beyond the very big roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway section off Sheeaune there is still just a temporary road surface. Actually on section alongside GAA pitch from Allergan down to Newport road there isn't any tarmac at all yet.

So I'd say whilst we might see the initial section from Turlough to old N5 roundabout open before Easter it could be very close to summer before remainder is ready (In the meantime plenty of opportunity for cycling and walking at the weekends!)

One rather perturbing thing I did notice yesterday whilst entering the new N5 from the N84 Ballinrobe road, in addition to the lack of a hard shoulder as previously mentioned, I notice the slip road from the N84 (as well as possibly all the other junctions) connects with the Dual carriageway via a T junction with a Stop sign. Apart from the unfortunately fairly high risk of those in these parts unfamilar with dual carriageways turning right onto the carriageway against the flow of traffic (it happened in Tuam too after the opening of the bypass) I'd just have concerns about the potential for accidents with traffic entering onto the dual carriageway into fast moving traffic without the benefit of a slip lane. It takes some time (and a fair degree of judgement of speed and distance regarding oncoming traffic) for any car to accelerate from a stop to the 80-100kmph of the approaching traffic. The lack of hard shoulder apart from the occasional pull over/parking lane periodically along the length of the dual carriageway is puzzling to say the least, but the lack of a slip lane for entry onto the dual carriageway seems a major and potentially dangerous design flaw (I recall a smillar issue with the exit onto the old Charlestown road from the new Charlestown bypass, whereby traffic was having to brake sharply to make the turn off, necessitating the undertaking of a re-engineering project to add a slow slip lane not long after opening to rectify this dangerous oversight)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

The same scenario regarding traffic entering the roadway was discussed on the N22 thread. Unlike the Charlestown Road which you mentioned there are 2 lanes on this so car can move to right lane if they see traffic. But ultimately it will be the responsibility of traffic entering to make sure the carriageway is empty before entering, same as most junctions.

These types of roads are quite new here - and importantly they are not dual carriageway. Thankfully most cars that do have an issue don't come to a complete stop and you usually have some notice to pull over to somewhere safe. I was pleasantly surprised that there was parking/pull over places located approx every 2 kms. So, in the event of a mechanical there is somewhere safe to pull in.

Hope you enjoyed the cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

I don't think the risk should be downplayed.

Having to join a dual carriageway from a stopped position at a T-junction undoubtedly is much riskier than having time to pick up speed and gradually join from a slip road.

There could be traffic in both lanes travelling at 100km/h at frequent volumes. For some drivers, it would be very difficult to judge if they have enough time to join the dual carriageway and pick up speed quickly enough to avoid being rear ended.

Not to mention that the drivers cruising along the dual carriageway may not be paying any attention to the risk of traffic suddenly joining.

Surely adding 100m of a slip road wouldn't add that much to the original budget? Seems a no-brainer to me.

A full-size junction has joining lanes that are at least 300 metres long. The junctions on N5 here are compact junctions, and so there is not room for such long joining lanes. (Also, there’s no hard shoulder)

A short slip-road actually makes the junction more dangerous, as it encourages the driver to join without adequate space to safely find a gap to merge into: for an example of how dangerous short on-lanes are, I suggest the N25 westbound at Oatencake/Midleton - traffic there has about 100 metres to get onto the carriageway, and it creates a hazard to traffic coming behind.

The stop-line (plus stop-sign, plus the word STOP painted on the road surface) on compact junctions forces any cars to stop and wait for a safe time to join. Having to wait a minute is infinitely better than sailing straight onto the road, having to jump in prematurely, and potentially causing an accident.

Remember this road is a dual carriageway mainly for safety reasons, not capacity: Traffic volumes on this road are low enough that nobody will be kept waiting for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Great stuff. I must tip out next weekend for a spin. What was the distance would know over both spins?

• Advertisement

Mmm, not completely sure as I did second leg as part of a longer cycle. Stretch from Turlough to N84 Ballinrobe road is approx 4 miles (6.7km)

Edit: Checked second leg, N84 to Newport rd roundabout in Westport is approx 9.85 miles (15.9km).

So total length is approx 13.85 miles (22.6km). Obviously twice that if you do an out and back

You explain the situation well. Hopefully there won't be any accidents until people get used to the new junctions but overall it will be a much safer road with the twin lanes allowing for safe overtaking, a median barrier preventing head on collisions and no right turns permitted accessing or exiting the DC. Certainly much safer than a single carriageway with a hard shoulder that people are often tempted to drive in to let cars overtake them.

Artsy shot of the new road from shutterguy from Instagram. I'm not sure exactly of the location.

N84 interchange looks totally finished 👌 A lot of tourist destinations are signposted on the mainline, no bad thing

Looks great. Impressive junction.

Has anyone noticed that the right hand lane appears to move closer to the central barrier under the bridge? Maybe this is normal procedure for locations where 3 lanes occur due to the exit lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Excellent drone video here from Des O'Grady:

Local councillor literally doesn't understand that 2.8 metres plus 2.8 metres is less than 6 metres 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Jesus, reduce the speed limit to 30kph to compensate for poor design. If it's any slower they can put in a 6 metre footpath and we'll all walk through it. I drove through it last week - its not great to be honest. I'll be interested to see how it drains over time as well.

• Advertisement

Don’t fall for his bullshit. It is not a poor design! It’s wider than the streets the same lorries would have driven on in order to reach the bridge, and it’s wider than most of the back roads around it.

He’s also calling every HGV driver in the country an idiot: I have a friend who holds an artic' licence. One of the things they teach you is that at any bridge that looks narrow where another HGV is approaching, you hold back and let whoever is closer come through first, just in case they have a slightly over-wide load that could damage yours.

The guy is a moron. He can’t add, and he clearly can’t admit it when he says something stupid.

He’s also pulling numbers out of his hole, which is a shame, as it’s not like they’re hard to find: Weights and dimensions for commercial and agricultural vehicles and trailers (rsa.ie). By law a refrigerated lorry cannot be wider than 2.55 metres, and you won’t find anyone selling or leasing a chilled trailer wider than this.

Advertisement