Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free GP care for under 5's?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

ScumLord wrote: »
    You're not as such paying for any specific persons health care you're paying for hospitals and other emergency services that you or anyone in this country can use. If the money isn't spent none of us get care.

No.... The fee quoted is the average worker pays for the average medical card holder..... What that €1,100 of my money pays for, I have no access to.

As for the HSE in general ... each worker pays close to €6,000 each for that..... Terrific.
    You can ask them to pay a small fee but it's going to be a symbolic gesture, a small fee could incur more in administration cost than it brings in, so what's the point?

I assume you ran the numbers on that?

Reducing the capitation fee to the GP slightly, allowing them to charge the user €1 or €2 a visit is very achievable.

Tokenistic or not, if it helps reduce the fact that a medical card user on average visits the GP 3 times more than someone who has to pay, it is worth it.

As well as reminding the user not to abuse the service unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

5 Euro charge at the mimimum

Advertisement