Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the helicopters gone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't someone crash a helicopter on the way to a wedding a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I saw 3 of them outside a very fancy 5 star hotel last week it was a wedding I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

o1s1n wrote: »
    Helicopter ****!

Seriously though, who is so up their own arse that they'd arrive at the Galway Races in a helicopter?

That's bad enough, but the wedding/debs thing referred to by OP - which I honestly wasn't aware of - even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Did Seeger ever find those flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you have to be up your own hole to not want to sit in traffic and to use a much faster mode of transport:confused:

Oh right, I didn't realize it was just a mode of transport to them. I take it they commute to work in it too?

And here's me thinking they were just landing in a helicopter at a public event to show off their wealth, silly me...

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Not really showing off their wealth - there was a helicopter service running from Oranmore to BallyBrit during race week a few years back for €75 a head. For a lot of people it might be the only chance they get to go up in one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Wealthy bloodstock owners helicoptering it to race tracks is nothing new. Used to live near Leopardstown race course and would hear them buzzing over on a big race day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

mike_ie wrote: »
    might be the only chance they get to go up in one...

That comment reminds me of the old "differnce between a nurse and a helicopter" joke...lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm the far side of Naas (from Dublin) so he was in a good bit from the coast.

My kids were mesmerised by it in fairness.

Their role is SAR and air ambulance so it's not unusual to see them anywhere in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

There were 340 of them at the Galway races in 2007 and only 3 this year. And they used to be a common sight at weddings and debs etc. Are they all in a big shed somewhere waiting until it is safe to take them out again?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/horse-racing/galway-races-2014-punters-preparing-3923294

The recession did affect us and I think it was in 2007, 340 helicopters landed in Ballybrit – more than in any other place in Europe.

“That’s down to maybe three or four helicopters if we’re lucky, that’s a sign of the recession.
    Genuine answer, most were sold. Most helicopters in Ireland were owned by developers. Once the property crash came, they were one of the first things these companies disposed of in order to stay afloat.

A huge number of these companies were insolvent anyway and the fire sale of these assets didn't save them. It was possible to get a good cheap helicopter in the first years of the crash.

Btw the same thing happened to all the diggers and other construction plant. Almost all of it was sold and exported, with a lot going to eastern Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Maintenance or manufacture?

Maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My cousin works in helicopter maintenance too. He's based in Dubai now, not nearly enough work left in Ireland to have a stable job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dirtyden

o1s1n wrote: »
    Helicopter ****!

Seriously though, who is so up their own arse that they'd arrive at the Galway Races in a helicopter?

Its a novelty, it costed about 50 euros each if there was a group of 8 I think. It would cost you the same to get from Cork to Dublin on the train. Why would you want to up your own arse to spend 50 euros on a bit of craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Vojera wrote: »
    My cousin works in helicopter maintenance too. He's based in Dubai now, not nearly enough work left in Ireland to have a stable job.

In fairness, helicopter maintenance techician would be the definition of a Celtic tiger job.
    Like Ice sculptor and Hummer dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

cml387 wrote: »
    In fairness, helicopter maintenance techician would be the definition of a Celtic tiger job.
    Like Ice sculptor and Hummer dealership.

Not if you're willing to travel, which in this country is more likely if pursuing this career.
    Would love to have pursued it myself, had the brains but not the health :-(

Advertisement