Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Back Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I recorded 3 objects with the night vision, will upload to youtube in a few. The first one seemed like a satellite indeed, but the second one was following the ISS and faded out near enough the same time. It was bright. Give me a few to upload the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

That was ATV 5 following the ISS. It is the final cargo supply ship being sent by the European Space Agency to the ISS. It's due to dock on the 12th August so it should be visible following close behind for the next few nights.

Thanks a million for that greedygoblin, what a sight. So it will get closer over the next few days - this I have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

So interesting to see the two objects. I spotted what I thought was ISS but couldn't be sure it was moving. I picked what I thought was a star close to it to use as a reference and I was a little confused until I realised it was moving too! :)

Exciting stuff. Hope to see it again for round two before midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Wonderful view of the ISS and ATV-5 just now. Looking forward to the midnight pass :)

http://www.nasa.gov/content/station-crew-sets-up-for-spacewalk-cargo-vehicle-traffic/

The “Georges Lemaitre” is scheduled to fly directly under the station Friday at a distance of a little less than four miles to test sensors and radar systems designed for future European spacecraft. After its “fly-under” of the station and closest approach at 6:45 p.m., the ATV-5 will move in front of the station and transition above and then behind the station for the final four days of its two-week rendezvous. ATV-5 launched atop an Ariane 5 rocket from Kourou, French Guiana, on July 29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

This is worth staying up for!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

I don't know much about astronomy but what direction will it come from? Does it last long, and is it clear to naked eye? Any info anyone has is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    I don't know much about astronomy but what direction will it come from? Does it last long, and is it clear to naked eye? Any info anyone has is appreciated!

If you have an Android phone, download ISS Tracker and it'll guide you right to it.

Coming from the south west horizon and will disappear in the east.That one lasted a good 5minutes, its very clear to spot and will look like a big bright white star travelling across the sky.Interesting to see how close the trailing craft will be next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

The next pass will disappear south according to my alert, and it's a shorter one, only 3 mins. Can't wait for it now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

You will see a satellite during the middle of recording and then the ESA cargo ship near the end following. Click to 720p. There's a couple of twigs from a tree in the way the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

what direction will it come from?

It will come from the west and pass almost directly overhead.
    Does it last long,

A few minutes.
    and is it clear to naked eye?

Yep.
    Any info anyone has is appreciated!

You can watch its progress here.

You're right Hoofer, it wont make it as far as the east.

It's currently over the Pacific east of New Zealand. Amazing to think that in just 45 mins or less, it'll have travelled half way around the world to be visible over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

17,000 miles per hour :eek: wow!!

what are the chances of it hitting space junk coming the other way at that speed and what would happen??

or does everything orbit in the same direction & speed in space??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

in castlebar and always wanted to see a supply ship after the iss. now a quick peek out side to see what the cloud cover is like.

rats near total cloud cover.

ill hang on for it. i got lucky seeing the shuttle launch from through the clouds despite a strong wind racing them along.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

17,000 miles per hour :eek: wow!!

what are the chances of it hitting space junk coming the other way at that speed and what would happen??

or does everything orbit in the same direction & speed in space??

There is loads of debris up there. It's being monitored from the ground all the time. Even flecks of paint travelling at speed can do huge damage. The crew on board have safety protocols that the follow when a threat is identified. Some parts of the station have better shielding against impacts than others, so they can move into those sections. In the event that a large piece of debris is on a collision course they can change the orbit of the station (just move themselves out of the way). They can also evacuate to the Soyuz rockets if a threat is identified too late.

1min to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Super Stuff - not a cloud inthe sky this time. The smaller object was ahead this time.

• Advertisement

got to see if in a break in the clouds. The atv seemed to be in front of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Excellent view in south dublin..much closer 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wow. A great view of the two of them. The cargo ship slightly ahead of the ISS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

That was great! Right overhead withthe the cargo ship actually leading the ISS now.

Might stay up for a bit tonight and try and catch some Perseids.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Fantastic sight. Interesting to see ISS chasing the resupply!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Thanks to all, saw it clearly ( as clearly as can be as it moves at 27000 kmph!!) was very interesting to see it, now to read the Chris Hatfield book that's here! When will it pass next? Months, years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Does it look like a bright star moving fast across the sky? The light being non-flashing?

any more passes tomorrow night ill be in achill and if its clear skies, ill get a perfect view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Yes... :)

• Advertisement

Thanks to all, saw it clearly ( as clearly as can be as it moves at 27000 kmph!!) was very interesting to see it, now to read the Chris Hatfield book that's here! When will it pass next? Months, years?

It's back tomorrow, Mon, Tue etc.

That Chris Hadfield book is incredible by the way!

Advertisement