Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an XXS bike?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

My wife is interested in getting her 1st bike in order not to become a cycling widow (Yippee)
    She wants a road bike to be able to cycle along side me, with the hope of someday, joining me on the odd charity event etc.
    Only problem is she's quite small (around 5ft ish) and having been down to our local LBS, seems she needs a XXS sized bike and also seems that only Giant make them that small?
    Not only that but they are like gold dust and almost impossible to get hold of?
    Would anyone have any more info/advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Eamonnator wrote: »

Thanks.
    Will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Specialized have a few women's models in that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Not being funny but wouldn't a large childs/teens bike fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Try other shop in Dungarvan, they do specialized. Exensice for entry level thoug from what I can remember

I'd be slow to buy 650 size, one size of spare tube tyre is enough.

Search CRC, wiggle, rose, bike24 etc and filter for small size.

You may, after trawling through the rubbish, find something on adverts, donedeal etc

• Advertisement

The_Sub wrote: »
    Not being funny but wouldn't a large childs/teens bike fit?

Kids bikes weigh a tonne and are generally not great quality. No need when there are plenty of options out there for smaller riders.

Cyleways had road bikes in 44 and 48 in stock when I got my bike (I'm 5'4" and a 51 in women's sizing).

My wife is 5ft tall, so hence the XXS size.
    Would I be looking for around at 38cm frame?
    So we're looking at a fairly small road bike, but don't want a heavy childrens bike.
    However having her sat on a couple of XS sizes already which were too big, she's keen to have a smaller, lightish bike, not heavy.
    +
    With such a small bike, would spare tubes and tyres be difficult to get hold of?

lismore7 wrote: »
    So we're looking at a fairly small road bike, but don't want a heavy childrens bike.
    However having her sat on a couple of XS sizes already which were too big, she's keen to have a smaller, lightish bike, not heavy.
    +
    With such a small bike, would spare tubes and tyres be difficult to get hold of?

Don't think you can get a 38, I have a couple of friends that height and they ride a 44 - wheels are standard size. Geometry chart for Specialized here:
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/road/dolce/dolce-triple#geometry

and size guide for height here:

http://images.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/e81/1a9/5dc/32/specialized-dolce-sizing-chart.pdf

nak wrote: »
    Kids bikes weigh a tonne and are generally not great quality. No need when there are plenty of options out there for smaller riders.

Cyleways had road bikes in 44 and 48 in stock when I got my bike (I'm 5'4" and a 51 in women's sizing).

I found it the opposite. I'm just under 5' 6" and wanted a 48 or smaller and gave up on the end. Bought a 50 and spent a small fortune replacing, stems, seat posts, fittings, etc to get comfy.

The_Sub wrote: »
    I found it the opposite. I'm just under 5' 6" and wanted a 48 or smaller and gave up on the end. Bought a 50 and spent a small fortune replacing, stems, seat posts, fittings, etc to get comfy.

48 is very small for someone that height (depends on geometry I guess) - it's too small for me. I have 3 bikes from different manufacturers in a size 49 (men's geometry). Only things I had to change on the Tarmac were the saddle and handlebars, but that was because I didn't like the stock ones.

Trek, Ridley, Ribble, Kinesis, Cervelo all do road bikes in smaller sizes.

The only time I've run into trouble was looking for a cyclocross bike as there is not so much choice there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I'm 5'3" and my bikes are 51cm/52cm, I don't think you'll need to go as small as 38cm. Like other posters mentioned, Specialized have really nice WSD (women specific design) bikes, I bought my first one in 2006 and haven't looked back! There are a few dealers in the southeast direction

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

My wife is 5' and last year she bought a Beone Storm Sport, 40cm, from CRC, It is a good fit except for the stem which is a little long I think. It is a nice bike for the money.

nak wrote: »
    Trek, Ridley, Ribble, Kinesis, Cervelo all do road bikes in smaller sizes.

They all offer them in catalogs but no shop could seem to get stock in. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I am 4" 10 and ride a 44cm Specialized Dolce on the road. It is a perfect fit and no need for smaller wheel sizes or kids bikes. I got mine from Bespoke Cycles in Bray who ordered it in for me.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The basic Decathlon B'twin Triban 3 comes in a 45 and 48 frame (with 650c wheels).

@The_Sub - I'm surprised you wanted one that small at 5'6"! I'm the same height and ride a 52cm Trek Lexa with the saddle at a decent height.

The basic Decathlon B'twin Triban 3 comes in a 45 and 48 frame (with 650c wheels).

@The_Sub - I'm surprised you wanted one that small at 5'6"! I'm the same height and ride a 52cm Trek Lexa with the saddle at a decent height.

She's 5ft only. So we're looking a a fairly small bike.
    Have looked at a number of online bike shops i.e. CRC, Evans, Wiggle etc....
    It's no as easy as it sounds, trying to find a bike around 40 - 44cm.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Islabikes? They are a children's bike manufacturer, but their age 11+ road bike could suit? Size chart gives a minimum height of 148cm for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Check out Orbea , staggs cycles in Lucan have them, marreys in castlebar too. They come in small sizes. 46 , 48 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Scott goes as little as XXS (I'm 5'6" and M was just fine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Scott goes as little as XXS (I'm 5'6" and M was just fine)

She's going to a LBS this week to try out a 44cm bike they have in stock, so we'll know then exactly the size she needs.
    Then we'll see what options we have.
    Don't want to spend a fortune as it's her first bike.
    Have read all the above advice...many thanks... and visited all your suggested retailers but finding a 42 - 44cm sized road bike (we think) to fit a girl of 5ft height, 70cm inside leg and bike in stock, is proving to be quite a quest!!
    I appreciate the makes you have all suggested, which do bikes in those small sizes, however when it comes to finding them available and in stock to buy now ..is another storey.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

She's going to a LBS this week to try out a 44cm bike they have in stock, so we'll know then exactly the size she needs.
    Then we'll see what options we have.
    Don't want to spend a fortune as it's her first bike.
    Have read all the above advice...many thanks... and visited all your suggested retailers but finding a 42 - 44cm sized road bike (we think) to fit a girl of 5ft height, 70cm inside leg and bike in stock, is proving to be quite a quest!!
    I appreciate the makes you have all suggested, which do bikes in those small sizes, however when it comes to finding them available and in stock to buy now ..is another storey.

Good luck with your quest. I know how difficult it can be to find smaller size bikes but you can be very lucky. I once got a XS DH frame by emailing the bike company direct who happened to have one lying around their factory that they couldn't get rid of because it was so small! Keep an eye out on adverts too as sometimes XS second hand bikes come up there. I picked up an XS Bowery a couple of years ago on it which is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'm 153cm/ 5'0 and race the Specialized Amira 44cm, I also have a Dolce and a Ruby that size. Specialized have the best bikes ever for shorties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

My wife is 5foot as well and we got her a size 44 Bianchi from slane cycles. She loves it and has done a couple of an post spins at this stage. It's hilarious though, her saddle is the same height as my top tube. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭QueensGael

however when it comes to finding them available and in stock to buy now ..is another storey.

Yup, that was my experience too, it's very likely you'll have to order and wait for it, but it's worth it :) Good luck with the shopping!

QueensGael wrote: »
    Yup, that was my experience too, it's very likely you'll have to order and wait for it, but it's worth it :) Good luck with the shopping!

A lot of people have to order in bikes no matter what size, as shops can't stock everything. Didn't mind waiting for mine, husband was the same and he has a 54.

Herself headed off yesterday to a bike shop that had a 44cm road bike in stock and it's definately a 44cm bike that's her size...thank god!!

Now that we have the size established, we now have to find a bike.
    The bike she tried was heavy for her and....(ladies amongst you might understand this, cause I don't ???) it wasn't the right colour!!!!:mad:
    She then tried another 44cm bike Cannondale and full carbon (ouch!!)...and sadly loved it BUT....it was already sold and after checking with the bike wholesaler in Dublin, last 1 went out only hours earlier :mad::mad::mad:
    Now all we can do is wait until new season bikes come in, as she now wants a Cannondale same as the one in the shop...
    Oh dear.... I feel my credit card hurting....
    Will still keep looking around, as there must be a 44 sitting in the back of some bike shop, somewhere around this island

Herself headed off yesterday to a bike shop that had a 44cm road bike in stock and it's definately a 44cm bike that's her size...thank god!!

Now that we have the size established, we now have to find a bike.
    The bike she tried was heavy for her and....(ladies amongst you might understand this, cause I don't ???) it wasn't the right colour!!!!:mad:

Only colour I wouldn't get is pastel pink. Bike I originally wanted was sold out a few months back, ended up with DA instead of Ultegra on the equivalent men's bike for a similar price. Terrible I know ;)

Hope you find something. 2015 bikes are starting to appear in the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Now all we can do is wait until new season bikes come in, as she now wants a Cannondale same as the one in the shop...
    And you are dead if you don't buy it. :pac:

Advertisement