Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Series of WDYTYA - Thurs 7th Aug, BBC1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    My main problem with the US ones is the repetition - because they have breaks and the audience needs to be enticed back, and then reminded of what they've seen already. If they're shown here on BBC, then it could easily be condensed into 30 minutes.

Live there and you will give thanks on bended knee for PBS. We rarely watched TV when living there, and then just for News programs. Generally the format was 12 mins TV then 3 mins of adverts. For a film, there were shorter program intervals between longer advertising periods towards the end of the film. For international news (inevitably Israel & Iraq even back then) they had a countdown clock in the corner of the screen to let viewers know and not change channel. And that was NYC channels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Would be best just to record anything you want to see and shoot through the adverts then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree, Jellybaby1, but that requires precision attention to know when they've stopped repeating and started new stuff!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I agree, Jellybaby1, but that requires precision attention to know when they've stopped repeating and started new stuff!
    It's for such tasks that one employs staff.

The majority of the programmes we watch are all recorded and we have got so used to it now, to have to watch the programmes with ads in real time is such a bore we just can't stand it. I would hate to have all the adverts that the US have, I think I'd just give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Alicat wrote: »
    New series is starting this Thursday, 7th August, on BBC1 at 9pm. There is also a special programme on the night before (Wednesday, 6th Aug, 10:35pm) celebrating 10 years of the show and interviewing past participants.

This year's list:
    • Julie Walters (7th Aug)
    • Brain Blessed (14th Aug)
    • Tamzin Outwaite (21st Aug)
    • Brendan O'Carroll (28th Aug)
    • Sheridan Smith (4th Sept)
    • Mary Berry (18th Sept)
    • Martin Shaw (25th Sept)
    • Reggie Yates (2nd Oct)
    • Twiggy (9th Oct)
    • Billy Connolly (16th Oct)

Anybody see the Brian Blessed episode last night? I thought it was quite funny how he dramatized the story but was very happy to see that
    the two brothers somehow managed to stay in touch despite being seperated so young.

I always enjoy seeing Brian Blessed. The man never leaves the stage! Interesting story told as only Brian Blessed could tell it! As ever, I was still wanting more. I think anyone who knows Brian Blessed will know what to expect from him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Anybody see the Brian Blessed episode last night? I thought it was quite funny how he dramatized the story ...
    couldn't believe the brothers found each other after that long...

I enjoyed it, he's so enthusiastic about everything, you end up laughing with him!

Was wondering at first why they jumped back so far and produced the tree at the beginning, but worked very well presenting him, and us, with the story as it unfolded. Lucky for him his surname is uncommon, and his direct ancestor's first name of Jabez was new one to me

Jabez and Barnabas are both Biblical names.

Biblical names were used in the Dickensian/Victorian era if you consider the names such as Abel, Noah, Solomon, and Jacob (Marley), Ebenezer (Scrooge) etc. I think in the same era the prophet's name Ezra was used too. Great for genealogists to track today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Enjoyed the programme, Brian Blessed is such a character. His enthusiasm is contagious. I was a bit perplexed at first cos I thought they were skipping ahead . I have to admit it was edited quite well as we saw the story unfold along with Brian. So glad to see
    the brothers reunited
    . A good tale, well told

• Advertisement

I see our mods are being kept on their toes!! Stop giving the game away guys! :D

Liked the episode. He's daft as a brush though, isn't he? Acting out the
    wedding
    ! I am also amazed at the thing everyone else has spoilered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its interesting how he turns from BRIAN BLESSED to Brian Blessed and back to BRIAN BLESSED again over the course of a few minutes.

I'm slightly annoyed to see extremely useful records sitting as spreadsheets on a single computer in a library - it might not help that many people but things like that should always be put online.

Anyone watch Tamzin Outhwaite tonight ?

Yes. She came across as a nice person. Daft to think that she knew all the relatives but had (or pretended ) no idea of family history. If your father/grandfather was interned in WW2 would you not know? The acting bit was still there, the odd shudder, gasp, but no tear and no running mascara. It showed nothing really, just a bit about Italian internees, how to make icecream and Italians coming to Scotland. (Query - should current affairs worsen, would the Isle of Man hold most of |Leeds/Bradford/Luton?Birmingham?)
    Overall the series has really deteriorated from past years. it has really descended into geno-tainment (poor stuff at that). Next week it will be Brendan's Ashes.

Good review there Pedro, very little genealogical data used. It was more like an episode of This is your Life. Strange that she knew so little of her family history considering her Grandmother was still alive. Poor episode all round. It'll be interesting to see how the BBC handle Irish archives next week. BOC has a fascinating Titanic story in his family, I'm sure they will mention it.

I'd heard about the internments of Italians etc at the Isle of Man during WW2 before somewhere, think there was a previous WDYTYA that mentioned the same buildings on the seafront.

Nice little village where the Santi family came from, shame to have to leave that

shanew wrote: »
    Nice little village where the Santi family came from, shame to have to leave that
    Want to buy an Italian village ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I too thought it odd that a) she had regularly visited the Italian village her ancestors had come from when younger with her family and b) had also regularly visited the town in County Durham where she had living relatives and somehow didn't manage to know most of what she 'found out' already. The histrionics when she heard about the internment camp on the IoM was overdone too, possibly due to her mum referring to it incorrectly as a 'concentration camp'. A very weak episode, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Waitsian

jos28 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how the BBC handle Irish archives next week. BOC has a fascinating Titanic story in his family, I'm sure they will mention it.

I think I heard a tale of his father and grandfather being shot, either during the War of Independence or the Civil war, not sure which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

jos28 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how the BBC handle Irish archives next week. BOC has a fascinating Titanic story in his family, I'm sure they will mention it.
    mod9maple wrote: »
    I think I heard a tale of his father and grandfather being shot, either during the War of Independence or the Civil war, not sure which.

All we are missing is that one of his ancestors was at the GPO during the Rising and we have a trifecta of Irish genealogy family myths :D

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Alun wrote: »
    I too thought it odd that a) she had regularly visited the Italian village her ancestors had come from when younger with her family and b) had also regularly visited the town in County Durham where she had living relatives and somehow didn't manage to know most of what she 'found out' already. The histrionics when she heard about the internment camp on the IoM was overdone too, possibly due to her mum referring to it incorrectly as a 'concentration camp'. A very weak episode, all things considered.

Yes I agree, she could have found out most of that information from talking to her grandmother and doing a google search!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is possible she'd never done that - she thought the shop was a chipper when it's obvious from the remains inside that it wasn't for instance. Probably was never interested until the show. Compare to Jeremy Clarkson years ago having commissioned professional research well before the show

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Tamzin Outhwaite's was a weak episode indeed, especially the whole section on learning to make gelato- ridiculous. I also wondered about the genealogist in the Isle of Man putting forward the idea that her great uncle didn't chose to join The Pioneers in order to get out of the camp because he was worried about leaving his father behind. There's plenty of supposing in these shows, but the idea that the great uncle was one of those 'fascist thugs' was equally likely but not mentioned.

Brian Blessed's was great, interesting stuff and he seems like a lovely man :)

MYOB wrote: »
    It is possible she'd never done that - she thought the shop was a chipper when it's obvious from the remains inside that it wasn't for instance. Probably was never interested until the show. Compare to Jeremy Clarkson years ago having commissioned professional research well before the show

Ooh I didn't know that! The worst case of that I've seen is Emilia Fox, whose aunt had actually written a book about the stuff that she apparently only uncovered on the show! There was even a scene with her and her Dad both acting their socks off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Clarksons episode showed the commissioned tree - it was a pretty decent episode from a social history perspective as it was basically a hunt for more info than certs and censuses can give

Most 'normal' people are actually as oblivious to their heritage as Tamzin appeared to be which is why I'm not 100% sure it was acting.

All we are missing is that one of his ancestors was at the GPO during the Rising and we have a trifecta of Irish genealogy family myths :D

My Grandad was beside Dev in Bolands Mills you know :D:D

He wasn't but everyone else's Grandad seems to have been :D

rhapsody wrote: »
    Tamzin Outhwaite's was a weak episode indeed, especially the whole section on learning to make gelato- ridiculous. I also wondered about the genealogist in the Isle of Man putting forward the idea that her great uncle didn't chose to join The Pioneers in order to get out of the camp because he was worried about leaving his father behind. There's plenty of supposing in these shows, but the idea that the great uncle was one of those 'fascist thugs' was equally likely but not mentioned.

Brian Blessed's was great, interesting stuff and he seems like a lovely man :)

Totally agree with you on this. I was so disappointed in this one. The genealogist should never assume anything, she had no clue as to why he hadn't joined the Pioneers, he could have been on either side for all she knew! Blatant breaking of genealogy rules there! But of course he had to be 'noble', but who knows? The ice-cream bit was ridiculous! Thumbs down for this one.

possible spoilers in the first link - maybe save until after the program...

re Brendan O'Carroll - see here (Timeline research/Nicola Morris)

and also here WDYTYA magazine, episode guide, and additional footage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Pretty decent episode. Good use of newspapers and Bureau of Military History records.

Advertisement