Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google+ is using all my data traffic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Dropbox also tries to backup your photos to the cloud so check that if your data is still being used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Read the screens when you're setting these services up (rather than clicking next, next, next) and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sully wrote: »
    I like the idea of a cloud backup but I dislike the way my photos appear on Google Plus tbh.

Yes, but their only visible to you.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I disabled the Google + app completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I like the idea of a cloud backup but I dislike the way my photos appear on Google Plus tbh.

All the photos go into a private folder, just like Dropbox or iCloud or OneDrive.

At the op, the photo back up is an opt in service and it asks you if you want to use it when you initially sign in with a Google account on the phone, and again when you first open the Photos app on the phone.

It is not invasive, it is a photo backup tool that works just like any other photo backup or Picassa which Google used to use.

You are notified when photos upload to the account, are able to disable it completely or simply set it to only upload when on WiFi.

Fantastic service I find, I use a few phones and its great to be able to make sure both my personal and work pictures are always safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dinosaur Controller

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm pretty IT and tech savvy

People who say that never are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yes, but their only visible to you.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    All the photos go into a private folder, just like Dropbox or iCloud or OneDrive.

At the op, the photo back up is an opt in service and it asks you if you want to use it when you initially sign in with a Google account on the phone, and again when you first open the Photos app on the phone.

It is not invasive, it is a photo backup tool that works just like any other photo backup or Picassa which Google used to use.

You are notified when photos upload to the account, are able to disable it completely or simply set it to only upload when on WiFi.

Fantastic service I find, I use a few phones and its great to be able to make sure both my personal and work pictures are always safe.

Thanks. I was aware of the feature and didn't object to it but when I saw this thread it dawned on me that the photos may be at a public viewing on my Google + account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

People who say that never are.

Ah sure Google are a great bunch altogether and would always be absolutely 100% ahead of the curve when it comes to data protection.

You'd really have to laugh at both Google and Apple 'fanbois' who seem to get highly defensive of what are essentially an advertising / data mining company and a consumer products corporation.

To me Google+ is all that's wrong with these companies. It's trying to be an identification service and it's also trying to force people to use their real identity in places they don't necessarily want to and to connect things using social media that people aren't necessarily comfortable with or even aware of some of the time.

Google are pushing G+ into more and more services and they're not making its use optional. I have ended up with things like my Android phone pestering me to activate Picasa and G+ backups to my business Google Apps account.

When you comment on a YouTube clip or review an app on the Play Store, you don't necessarily want that to be linked to a social networking application.

This whole idea of linking backups to social media in Android is just plain creepy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭shewasdiesel

I've done the uber unpopular thing and gone back to Microsoft for most things, Google have become shyte beyond belief

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

Alright, this was over one year ago and as I said all the photos were already backed up.
    Probably some term or condition has changed or it thought it was necessary to do that again, but given the possible massive use of data it should have noticed me about that prior to starting.

Hah havent you learned that google dont notify people when they sign you up for stuff? Silly you :') You think people would learn after the whole G+ thing, which i dont agree with either...

• Advertisement

I think forcing G+ membership to review apps is a hugely retrograde step.
    It's very important that apps in store that people are free to review apps in a very open way. Play Store has 'light touch curation' rather than active management like the AppStore on iOS devices so user review are very important!

Android's a great OS, but Google's going to want to monetize it somehow.

If there's one thing that people who are actually IT or marketing savvy are aware of, it's that there's no such thing as a free lunch and Android is most certainly not a free OS. There's a business plan behind it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

It's very important that apps in store that people are free to review apps in a very open way. Play Store has 'light touch curation' rather than active management like the AppStore on iOS devices so user review are very important!

I think it was trying to fix the mess that was anonymous YT and app comments before they introduced it. It seems to have calmed down YT comments, not half as much hate and spam

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think it was trying to fix the mess that was anonymous YT and app comments before they introduced it. It seems to have calmed down YT comments, not half as much hate and spam

What's wrong with logging in from other social media platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Tails142 wrote: »
    Dropbox also tries to backup your photos to the cloud so check that if your data is still being used up.

I think that Dropbox is much more honest and transparent, because so far I haven't had any trouble with them, my photos have been backed up on my account only once, they're not invasive and have never asked me to sign up or opt into any mysterious or useless service.
    And until a few days ago Google+ wasn't that bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Android's a great OS, but Google's going to want to monetize it somehow.

If there's one thing that people who are actually IT or marketing savvy are aware of, it's that there's no such thing as a free lunch and Android is most certainly not a free OS. There's a business plan behind it somewhere.

The business plan is for you to buy into their complete eco system, there's no secret about that. If people thought android was for the good of humanity how naive could you be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Sonics2k wrote: »

Alright, but the back up of my photo already exists and is updated at every new photo or video. Why waste bandwidth for something that had already been done?
    As for the notification, it only occurs when the back up is completed, all the job is done while nobody realizes, no authorization asked... I realized of that only because I took my phone and I felt it hot. Unfortunately in that moment half of my photos had been uploaded and all my available data traffic had been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

What's wrong with logging in from other social media platforms?

Likewise, can you use your Google profile to login to the other social platforms? Twitter, Facebook etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You do realise that you can turn off auto backup?

I find it a great service. Does all the work for me. Have it set to only back up over wifi therefore not to incur additional charges.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Getting you into the Eco system is only part of how they monetise it. A huge percentage of the revenue stream will come from advertising and using you as a source of marketing data.

Apple makes money on hardware and taking a much more significant cut on the AppStore. Google makes very little directly out of any service. They're all harvesting data and pitching adverts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement